PDA

View Full Version : Camber alignment

RSX_DC5R
24-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi All,

I am new in ozhonda and Honda world. Just got a DC5R few weeks ago.

So far I have only replace the coilover (BC N+) to drop the car height. I notice that the camber alignment are not even as it used to be i.e. 0.43 deg on front left and 1.39 deg on front right. As a result, the car is pulling to the left slightly when driving forward. Is this normal? What is the solution to this?

P.S. The car height is not too low i.e. 3 fingers from front fender to the top front tyre.

Thanks very much for the helps :D

preludacris
24-11-2007, 12:21 PM
did you lower the car evenly?

from my understanding, dc5r coilovers like n+ come with camber tops on the front, that can be adjusted from under the bonnet.

just get a wheel alignment place to set them correctly.

RSX_DC5R
24-11-2007, 12:54 PM
did you lower the car evenly?

from my understanding, dc5r coilovers like n+ come with camber tops on the front, that can be adjusted from under the bonnet.

just get a wheel alignment place to set them correctly.

Thanks for the reply preludacris.

Yeah, the car was lowered evenly.

It didn't come with camber tops :( Only Race spec one comes with camber tops.

I had a wheel alignment and they said they can't do much about it coz there is no camber adjustment for DC5R unless I get aftermarket camber kit (which I am not very keen to get one). just trying to find other solution without getting a new kit.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

preludacris
24-11-2007, 01:43 PM
has the previous owner had accident, where the suspension was bent? this could be why ur camber on one side is different.

the other possibility is that the alignment place gave off incorrect readings, which has kinda happned to me b4. 2 seperate places gave me different camber readings, one of which was actually positive camber on the left side, while the other place told me negetive.. :S

tho you can generally tell by looking at it the approximate camber on it.

rossirider
25-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the reply preludacris.

Yeah, the car was lowered evenly.

It didn't come with camber tops :( Only Race spec one comes with camber tops.

I had a wheel alignment and they said they can't do much about it coz there is no camber adjustment for DC5R unless I get aftermarket camber kit (which I am not very keen to get one). just trying to find other solution without getting a new kit.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thats BS, you can adjust the camber on the N+ for the dc5r but not from the top. Its adjusted by a bolt on the lower part of the coilover.

Details can be found in this thread.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=360215

RSX_DC5R
25-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys.

Really appreciate it. I will try another place to re-do wheel realignment once I got my new rims. As for now, I will probably leave it as it is.

I will make sure they check the bolt at the lower part of the coilover.

Cheers!

bennjamin
25-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Thats BS, you can adjust the camber on the N+ for the dc5r but not from the top. Its adjusted by a bolt on the lower part of the coilover.

Details can be found in this thread.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=360215

looked thru the thread , where is this mid-way bolt ?
Macpherson struts are camber adjusted cia the upper mount , which is a optional extra on most coilovers. You cannot adjust the frontal camber via any other way. The rear is adjusted via a "adjustable" upper control arm

fatboyz39
25-11-2007, 09:51 PM
looked thru the thread , where is this mid-way bolt ?
Macpherson struts are camber adjusted cia the upper mount , which is a optional extra on most coilovers. You cannot adjust the frontal camber via any other way. The rear is adjusted via a "adjustable" upper control arm

Wrong they can be adjusted thru the 19mm bolts holding the hub. Either buy some camber bolts or make some yourself. Not that hard if you have a basic idea of what you making.

bennjamin
26-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Wrong they can be adjusted thru the 19mm bolts holding the hub. Either buy some camber bolts or make some yourself. Not that hard if you have a basic idea of what you making.

Offset bolts?How many degrees adjust would this give? Show us all what you mean.

fatboyz39
26-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Offset bolts?How many degrees adjust would this give? Show us all what you mean.

1.5 degree each side. I don't use offset bolts as they tend to loosen under hard driving conditions. I use camber plates. Will post up pics when i cbf taking off my wheels.

Chi
26-11-2007, 08:01 PM
With Dc5R's due to the Macpherson strut set up .

If you lower too much it becomes more dificult to adjust the camber/toe due to the steering rack/tie rods.

Js racing have released a inverted tie rod kit to help correct this.

http://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/product.php?productid=488

But also when you lower the car you will get increased bump steer with the steering.

DC5R sussy is not like the DC2R and EG/EK.

It requires a fair bit more work to get it driver friendly when you lower it

RSX_DC5R
26-11-2007, 08:19 PM
As mentioned in first post, the car is not lowered too much...

I have heard about the 19mm bolt that fatboyz39 talking about. that is one of the alternative that I am considering.

Just a second thought, do you guys think I should got for a proper kit i.e. camber kit or upper mount as the bolt tend to loose after some time?

Thanks again guys for the comments...

bennjamin
26-11-2007, 08:21 PM
A upper mout would give a slightly larger more accurate range of adjustment
, but i have heard issues iof these upper mounts coming loose.
Aussie roads are harsh so perhaps a "camber plate" that has been mentioned above will work best in the long run.

RSX_DC5R
26-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the input bennjamin

Where can I get a camber plate?

How much would it cost roughly?

I am pretty noob for this kinda thing :(

bennjamin
26-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Just to help u out , here is a normal machpherson strut camber kit

http://www.d2racingsports.com.au/images/camberplate.jpg
you adjust the upper mount itself

fatboyz39 assures us all there is a camber plate that is used on the upper bolt.
Until we are shown , here is a "offset" bolt used for DC5's and similar

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/images/81260.gif

RSX_DC5R
26-11-2007, 09:03 PM
bennjamin
Thanks very much man...
The pics certainly help a lot

I guess the 'offset' bolt will be a cheaper option (correct me if I am wrong)

bennjamin
26-11-2007, 09:12 PM
it will be cheaper , you would only need one side to fix and "even" the camber both left and right.

RSX_DC5R
26-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Okay!

I might go down that path.

One more question, do you happen to know what size of the 'offset' bolt for DC5R?