PDA

View Full Version : Crunching in Reverse (MT)

Poeter
24-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi guys,

i recently realised a peculiar behaviour of my jazz and it's repeatable.

Suppose if my gear is initially in neutral and I start the engine. Immediately after the engine starts, I change to reverse and it always crunches.

Only if i do the above I would get crunches.

Any advice or tips what's happening??

Maybe my clutch needs to be re-adjusted??

Rasputin
24-11-2007, 07:27 PM
What if you switch into first or fourth or something and then straight to reverse?

Poeter
24-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Yea I tried starting the engine in gear 1 and then changing to reverse, it doesn't seem to crunch

Limbo
24-11-2007, 07:36 PM
i know sometimes when its cold its hard to get into gears. Try stepping on the clutch a few times to disengage before putting into reverse

Poeter
24-11-2007, 07:41 PM
hmm i still got a few more months of warranty left
maybe i should get honda to check it for me

aaronng
24-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Reverse has no synchros. So when you clutch in and immediately put it into reverse, the spinning input shaft will grind against reverse. Just clutch in, count to 3 and then put it into reverse. You won't get the grinding anymore.

Dy_
24-11-2007, 11:29 PM
or you could shift into 4 and then reverse
also car should be standing still

rawr
24-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I agree with all the above points. Presh the clutch in for 3 seconds or depress it 3 times then put it into 3rd or 4th (with your foot on the clutch) and then put it in reverse. It should slide in smoothly

misteR_bilzz
25-11-2007, 12:36 AM
take off a little in 1st then put it into reverse.

czy_sol87
25-11-2007, 01:09 AM
Reverse has no synchros. So when you clutch in and immediately put it into reverse, the spinning input shaft will grind against reverse. Just clutch in, count to 3 and then put it into reverse. You won't get the grinding anymore.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
yep no synchros
its also a straight cut gear isnt it?

aaronng
25-11-2007, 08:07 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
yep no synchros
its also a straight cut gear isnt it?

Yup, straight cut. That sometimes gives you a tooth-on-tooth situation and you can't get it into gear. But the grinding problem is because it doesn't have synchros. Some brands like Alfa do put synchros on reverse gear!

kingyy
25-11-2007, 08:52 AM
its just a thing that everycar either does or will do in there life time no matter what age they are....

or it could be ur a bad driver ---- :) joking

hope we could help ya out....

aaronng
25-11-2007, 01:31 PM
^^ Waste of space. Why bother posting if you are not going to help him?

EG30
26-11-2007, 05:57 AM
you can stop the embarassing crunch by selecting any forward gear say 2nd gear while your foot still has the clutch fully depressed; b4 selecting the reverse gear.

by selecting 2nd gear b4 selecting reverse, it stops the layshaft from spinning ( as you come to a stop and the clutch fully depressed, the shaft would still be spinning for quite a while ie bit like a power drill w/out the autobrake feature and when you select the reverse gear which has no syncho the crunching is almost guanranteed ).

hope this helps.