PDA

View Full Version : d15z1 vtec-e gearbox

d15z1SUX
25-11-2007, 08:28 PM
so the gearbox on my d15z1 engine seems to be slowly deteriating. first the input shaft bearings became noisy. then 3rd gear started to crunch. now 2nd gear is starting to crunch if i give it a bit of poke.

this gearbox is different to your other d-series gearboxes as the gear ratios are very long.

anyone with previous experience with these gearboxes? are they weaker than other d-series gearboxes?

i guess i will probably just let it sh*t itself and hopefully by then i will have enuff money for a b-series swap. if not then ill just get another gearbox for the d-series. what do you think?

vinnY
26-11-2007, 10:10 PM
out of curiosity whens the last time you changed the gearbox fluid?
my understanding is that the ISB can die from lack of fluids from a leaky gearbox since its at the top of the gearbox and syncros can die from wear and tear, abuse or possibly lack of fluids too

you're probably better off buying another gearbox if it can be had cheap until you can afford your engine swap

d15z1SUX
27-11-2007, 07:52 PM
ah i guess so... i think i havent had to gearbox fluid changed for a while. guess ill do that at my next major service.

maybe if i have to change to gearbox ill get a jdm d15b vtec or d16y8 while im at it...