PDA

View Full Version : big problem with the b18c in my EG, plz help

connorling
26-11-2007, 12:30 AM
hey, if u still remember that i was doing a convertion for my EG breeze into b18c NR, after all this time of waiting for the car to finish, finally i got it back last week. i have enjoy every single day of driving it, but after 2 days of enjoyment, problems starts, after i got the car, i put a grounding cables and a mufflers into the car, and a pod filter as well, after the hot 35'c afternoon with my air con on, things starts to go wrong,

first the gearbox(i think) is making a cracking noice only at 3000rpm, before or after 3000rpm, the noice disappear.

secondly, the vtec is extreme loud, i am talking about at least 135db, 15db over the limit, i was thinking it is because of the muffler.

thirdly, when the car switch to second OHC at about 4500rpm in every gear, the car does not accelerateat fast as 1000rpm to 4500rpm, i am thinking it is because of the 2nd OHC.

so any ideas of what happen, anyone got the same problems??

i am located in perth, if anyone can have a look the car, pm me, try the car and see what i am talking about, thanks~~~

PS: got the engine from honbit and installed by Ben from styled2race(S2R)

Jarkz
26-11-2007, 03:47 AM
Different intakes and mufflers will make the induction/exhaust note change but 135db is f^*king loud.

It's hard to give a straight answer without hearing these problems.

If i was you I would be taking it back to the guy who installed it and asking him WTF is going on or take it to someone with honda experience.

I dont know of or can recommend a honda place in perth off hand as im in Melb, but look in the traders section.

STOCK
26-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Sounds like the muffler and pod filter is causing you all this grief.

connorling
26-11-2007, 02:54 PM
forgot to metion, the fuel consumption is crazy, when i first got the car back, half tank last 250km, but now 240km with 1/4 left.

went to S2R today to check the vtec, nothing wrong, then check with the ECU, ECU says fine, then i went to honbit, but the boss is not here, so i let u guys know what happen.......

and the cracking noice is identified, is coming from the catlyst(dun know how to spell) converter, honbit and S2R said the same thing.

today after a long run on freeway without pushing the car hard, after i stopped at the light, the car doesnt even go fast, feel like the 1.3 engine with the b18c engine, is crazy..... honbit says somnething about regulator, no idea what it is, but S2R thinks is the fuel pump......so i dun know what is going on until tonight...

connorling
26-11-2007, 11:19 PM
come back from honbit, no hope, we tried to put in a different fuel regulator, no changes make, they say it has to be something to do with the fuel section of the car, thinking make be the pump, because the pump and the fuel tank is from EK(needed for converting from carby to EFI), so the pump fxcked or to strong enough, so i have to wait til thursday to find out the problem.

xntrik
27-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Catalytic Converter is causing the cracking noise?
Correct me if im wrong but isnt this part of your exhaust?
Hence the 135+ decibel noise coming from it
And if you got a cannon, that might explain why its so loud?

connorling
27-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Catalytic Converter is causing the cracking noise?
Correct me if im wrong but isnt this part of your exhaust?
Hence the 135+ decibel noise coming from it
And if you got a cannon, that might explain why its so loud?

no i am talking about the cracking noice, that cracking noice doesnt make 135db, thats the muffler i have, but the catalytic convertor is the caused of the cracking noice at 3000rpm.

Jarkz
27-11-2007, 12:28 AM
When you replace your cat it my aid to some degree with the loudness your experiencing. Otherwise a different muffler sound on the cards.

Hopefully the fuel pump is the fix.

Enjoy when done.

connorling
27-11-2007, 12:42 AM
if the fuel pump fault, does the ECU show a signal on the dash board?????? hence flashing engine light

Jarkz
27-11-2007, 01:01 AM
if the fuel pump fault, does the ECU show a signal on the dash board?????? hence flashing engine light

Has this engine check light been flashing all along?

nick_sixx
27-11-2007, 01:53 AM
do you know where your vtec engagement is? i know im stating the obvious but if its 4500 rpm...yeah... with your exhaust upgrades you could be running rich by a couple of percent, my friend has a dc5 with injen intake, toda headers, and a b/c spec 2 straight pipe and his car "cracks" like crazy when he has any sort of throttle movement, as he hasnt had his air fuel ratio tuned. otherwise, like others have said, it could just be a problem with your fuel pump

connorling
29-11-2007, 03:46 AM
Has this engine check light been flashing all along?

no, it doesnt flash, thats the problem.............. i heard the fuel pressure regulator problem, it doesnt show on the dash..........

connorling
01-12-2007, 07:47 PM
find out that the actual connection between the cat converter and the header is broken, so there is a bog gap between it, hence the loud noice....

still have no ideas of why it goes slow, on friday, the car just wont go over 50km/h and it takes 20sec to reach 50km/h
needed a toller on that day to the workshop,

man spend almost 8k on the convertion, and now it all went crazy

B18cEG
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
find out that the actual connection between the cat converter and the header is broken, so there is a bog gap between it, hence the loud noice....

still have no ideas of why it goes slow, on friday, the car just wont go over 50km/h and it takes 20sec to reach 50km/h
needed a toller on that day to the workshop,

man spend almost 8k on the convertion, and now it all went crazy

PM me mate, i think i got a few solutions to your problems, i have done the same swap and a few of the same problems

Limbo
03-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Alrightly based on the broken seal i say that your cat is prob stuffed and blocking the exhuast, thus the loss in power, and it is prob what is causing the gap. THe gap has now turned into your exhuast. Prob also the reason your chewing more fuel and the exhaust fumes are not escaping

I'd get the cat fixed ASAP, prob go for a steel cat for abit more performance while your there. If you don't you will start to put alot of stress on the motor. It usually will overheat and then all sorts of crap will happen.
If you can't afford a new cat goto the wreckers and get a v8 cat for like $50 and get a shop to weld it in for you. Steel Cats are like $350 but they are def. worth the money.

I had a blocked exhaust on old car. It was quieter and then i started to blow seals on the exhaust and the car ran like crap.

I wouldn't hit vtec so often until you get it fixed. Actually i wouldn't drive it if i could help it