PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem!! HELP!

lil_miss_vtec
28-11-2007, 09:58 AM
ok I need a lil help here,
I've always known I needed to replace the clutch in my crx as it makes a noise coz the "throw-out"? bearing is gone so when the clutch isnt in it makes a whistling noise.... anyways it has never slipped & works fine so I hadnt replaced it....

I hadnt driven my crx for a week or so & I jumped in it yesterday & the clutch now feels funny.... there is alot of play in the pedal b4 it feels like there is resistance where there wasnt b4, also there is hardly any friction point & what there is of a friction point is right down near the floor just as I start to let the clutch out.... its like a heavy duty/bass button clutct (its either on or off)

Any ideas y this would happen? has my clutch sh!t it self just from sitting in my garage?? :confused:

hayashi_1986
28-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Lack of lube possibly? The grease has probably dried a little on the splines since it's been sitting there for a while. It also could mean you'll need to adjust the hydraulic to minimize the play. OR, it's time for a new clutch since the throwout bearing has crapped itself. Pilot bearing could also be worn.

Best to get a mech. to take a look, or even a test drive to tell you whats wrong. But it's going to cost a little bit more to have it replaced (more the labor than anything else really).

Maybe you can get some of the ozhonda boys to help you out with the swap haha!

lil_miss_vtec
28-11-2007, 12:51 PM
hmmmmm :(
ok - thanks for ur help :D

aaronng
28-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Sounds like a leaking master or slave cylinder.

lil_miss_vtec
28-11-2007, 12:55 PM
do I just fill it up?

aaronng
28-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Check for leaks first. Check around where the rod goes into the firewall behind the clutch pedal and check the slave cylinder in the engine bay in front of the exhaust headers.

Did the clutch fluid level decrease in that 1 week? I'd bleed it first to see if it becomes normal again.

yellow-dc2
28-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Its either leaking or you should get a new clutch, my vote would be leaking.

flipstar
03-12-2007, 08:24 PM
^^ agreed sounds like leaking master/slave cylinder id check 4 leaks bleed den replace hosing 4 d jus incase factor

EG5
03-12-2007, 09:26 PM
try to inspect your clutch line too

lil_miss_vtec
04-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey all, thanks for ur suggestions....
My Clutch fluid was dead empty :( so I topped it up on friday, all ok but when I was on my way to autosalon on the weekend.. (Newy to Syd) & while I was on the freeway I had no clutch what so ever!!
If I was using the gears frequently it would b ok but on the freeway in 5th gear for awhile I would end up with no clutch at all!! Was a bit dangerous as I had big semis coming up behind me & I was stuck in netural!!

Anyways turns out as I had let the clutch fluid get so low it had drawn in air & I was getting an air lock....

we bled the clutch & it was ok for the drive home :D

I have it booked in for a new master & slave cylinder
(my master cylinder was leaking)

Thanks for ur help!! :D

yellow-dc2
04-12-2007, 02:59 PM
No damage to your interior? brake fluid doesn't like paint very much, so if there is any excess fluid be sure to clean it up.

dupac->
04-12-2007, 09:05 PM
clutch fluid it is..

but they probably dont like paint neither.

longjohn1987
04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
ok I need a lil help here,
I've always known I needed to replace the clutch in my crx as it makes a noise coz the "throw-out"? bearing is gone so when the clutch isnt in it makes a whistling noise.... anyways it has never slipped & works fine so I hadnt replaced it....

This part scares me, and i really dont mean to hi jack, but this noise is what my Civic has done ever since I have had the clutch replaced, is it really a problem? as i have been told by 4 different mechanics now its no problem its just noisy, and I can agree, there is no problem.

I even paid $400 to try and get it fixed once, but it didn't work.

Can someone confirm that it is a problem? because I need to sell my car soon and I know the noise is going to deter buyers as it is, but was going to say check with your mechanic, he will agree that it is no problem...

aaronng
04-12-2007, 10:20 PM
This part scares me, and i really dont mean to hi jack, but this noise is what my Civic has done ever since I have had the clutch replaced, is it really a problem? as i have been told by 4 different mechanics now its no problem its just noisy, and I can agree, there is no problem.

I even paid $400 to try and get it fixed once, but it didn't work.

Can someone confirm that it is a problem? because I need to sell my car soon and I know the noise is going to deter buyers as it is, but was going to say check with your mechanic, he will agree that it is no problem...

What clutch did you put in? Does the noise happen when you are pressing the clutch in or when you fully release the clutch?

yellow-dc2
05-12-2007, 05:21 AM
clutch fluid it is..

Clutch fluid is brake fluid, the same thing Dot 4;)

longjohn1987
05-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Back when i got the clutch done (year and a half ago?) I really knew nothing about cars at all!
all i know is that its an "Heavy Duty" clutch (thats what it was referred to as)

The noise is only there when my foot isnt on the pedal, all you have to do it just lighly touch the and the noise is gone, it almost sounds like a slipping fan belt or a cricket is in the bonnet of my car...

You can still hear it when driving; engaged in gear, and it doesnt change sound at different speeds etc.

Like i said, I have no problem with the clutch, has never slipped or anything... however, sometimes when cold especially If you don't give it enough revs the car shudders???

Thanks,

aaronng
05-12-2007, 06:51 AM
Back when i got the clutch done (year and a half ago?) I really knew nothing about cars at all!
all i know is that its an "Heavy Duty" clutch (thats what it was referred to as)

The noise is only there when my foot isnt on the pedal, all you have to do it just lighly touch the and the noise is gone, it almost sounds like a slipping fan belt or a cricket is in the bonnet of my car...

You can still hear it when driving; engaged in gear, and it doesnt change sound at different speeds etc.

Like i said, I have no problem with the clutch, has never slipped or anything... however, sometimes when cold especially If you don't give it enough revs the car shudders???

Thanks,
Sounds like a worn input shaft bearing. But that should have a rumbling sound.

Most engines need more revs when releasing the clutch to avoid shuddering. With the heavy duty clutch, it has a heavier pressure plate and will amplify the shuddering a bit.

lil_miss_vtec
05-12-2007, 12:11 PM

Thanks,

Thats the same noise my crx had - all it is, is the slave cylinder in ur engine bay... the guy I took it to just sprayed some lube type stuff on it & the noise is gone.... he said it just gets dry :)

lil_miss_vtec
05-12-2007, 12:12 PM
No damage to your interior? brake fluid doesn't like paint very much, so if there is any excess fluid be sure to clean it up.

yeah I think so - I'll get them to clean it when they replace my master & slave cylinders :D

dupac->
06-12-2007, 10:03 AM
you were coming from newcastle to syd.. and ur car was playing up..

i was on my way from syd to newy aand my car was f*cking up..

lol
i hate it.