PDA

View Full Version : FD Question

2fast2furious
28-11-2007, 10:30 AM
If I want to change the grille, would I need to take off the front bumper as well? Or just unscrew the grille and take off.

DropBear
28-11-2007, 02:21 PM
If I want to change the grille, would I need to take off the front bumper as well? Or just unscrew the grille and take off.

You don't need to take off the bumper, but there is a fair amount of mucking around with the plastic locating pins that hold the grille in place. You'll end up having to take off some of the plastic trim around the engine bay just to get to some of those pins.

I got half-way through replacing my grille, then gave up because of all the fiddling around and not being 100% certain to what I was doing. Do a search for "grill" or "grille" in this Civic/CRX forum, you should be able to find a step by step how-to guide in there somewhere

kazam
28-11-2007, 03:33 PM
u dont need a guide... just clip off clip on... take off front bumper if you find your having 2 much trouble... and GL with those plastic clips their a b!tch and a half man... just ended up breaking most of em when installing grille on friends car...

cracker
28-11-2007, 06:27 PM
interesting as mr.vance didnt have any problems taking off the clips!

Shimian
28-11-2007, 07:36 PM
hold a mirror to view the clips at the bottom.

dmx
28-11-2007, 08:02 PM

don't think u need remove the bumper, but important things is u have to be patient and have a luxury time to dismantle the grill.

JaCe
28-11-2007, 08:37 PM
If you're lucky you'll get the clips off easily (remember they are upside down at the bottom) and you need the right tools (or risk breaking a fingernail).

On the other hand, removing the bumper is a much more definitive method of doing it and whilst it'll take longer and require more effort, it works out alot better and you don't run the risk of damaging any of those stupid screws.

Shimian
28-11-2007, 08:52 PM
The thing is, if you break the clips, you wont need it to put the mugen grille on. I assume 2fast2furious is referring to the mugen grille?

DropBear
29-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Actually, this has inspired me to get off my ar$e and actually install my replica mugen grill, rather than have it gather dust in my room. It's carbon-fibre look-alike so I'm not sure how it's going to look against the bluish silver... we shall see.

Obviously I'll need a bit of double-sided 3M tape to hold the front down, any particular variety/strength that you guys have used? I've got a roll of Scotch Exterior Mounting Tape (5lb strength) on me from hanging a whiteboard to the wall in my office, reckon this'll do the job?

JaCe
29-11-2007, 07:45 AM
If you break the clips, get some more from Honda. They probably won't charge you since it's cheap stuff.

And you don't need the clips to fit the Mugen grille. IIRC there's 6 all up.

Shimian
29-11-2007, 07:47 AM
I didnt use any double sided tape. Just cable tied it down so can remove later.

DropBear
29-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks Shimian, I'd just found your "how-to" from earlier in the year, I'd forgotten you didn't need 3M tape in the end.

2fast2furious
29-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks Shimian, I'd just found your "how-to" from earlier in the year, I'd forgotten you didn't need 3M tape in the end.

Where is this how to guide?

DropBear
29-11-2007, 03:06 PM
In the "Your mods to 06-07 Civics" thread...

...or here, because I'm such a nice guy ;)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1241251&postcount=47

JaCe
29-11-2007, 03:20 PM
I personally used the foam tape which isn't that powerful/strong adhesive but it reduces rattle.