PDA

View Full Version : lil help with intake please

Cityboy
28-11-2007, 02:13 PM
hey everyone just installed my new intake but i ran into a problem see how there is a extra hole in the polished tube i only took one hose of the factory intake and put one hose on the new one little help?http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/cityboy_quijibo/28112007.jpg

aaronng
28-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Did you plug the intake air temperature sensor back in?

kazam
28-11-2007, 03:24 PM
mine has that 2? just taped over it...

Cityboy
28-11-2007, 03:38 PM
so i should just tape over the extra hole? i was worried dirt would get into the engine

Cityboy
28-11-2007, 03:39 PM
i dont think i ever took the air intake sensor out

kazam
28-11-2007, 03:44 PM
:honda:

mrwillz
28-11-2007, 04:29 PM
really drops oil?
never heard of that

EK9
28-11-2007, 04:35 PM
oil?... just tape over it, should be fine.

yellow-dc2
28-11-2007, 05:27 PM
or if you want a bit of wank factor, get a T piece and hook into the other line

lenz
10-12-2007, 11:24 AM
get it weld up cause the extra hole is for the ek wit the air sensor

BluEG
10-12-2007, 06:02 PM
pull the rubber out, and put in a rubber blanking grommet.
you can buy these at most auto stores. they should be on a champion stand.

dsp26
10-12-2007, 06:26 PM
^^best/cheapest advice!!!

nothing to do with oil

omgzilla
10-12-2007, 07:31 PM
You may get some oil weepage if you've got a fair bit of blow-by. It might not sit low enough to actually weep out though...

Just plug it up properly.

Boban
10-12-2007, 07:46 PM
i just blocked mine off like everyone else said, no problems so far, been about a year

dsp26
10-12-2007, 08:14 PM
what the hell blow-by are you people talking about?!?!?!

no oil goes near that area... blow-by comes from the pcv valve straight to the plenum

SPEEDCORE
10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
LOL dsp26 they are talking about the rocker cover breather...... me laffs!

dsp26
10-12-2007, 08:54 PM
LOL dsp26 they are talking about the rocker cover breather...... me laffs!

exactly lol!

aaronng is right. the only thing that goes in that rubber hole is the IAT if your equipped with it.

even IF you rooted your head that bad and you SOMEHOW get an oil leak from that breather (conencted with blue hose in the pic) you guys really think oil would really roll and leak down to there even if the cai was declined while car is on idle with air still pulling towards plenum

SPEEDCORE
10-12-2007, 09:10 PM
To OP, ( might be the pic ) but I'd pull off the intake and re-align it.

The pipe within the reducer seems to be at an awkward angle in relation to the TB.

V-TEC_BABY
11-12-2007, 01:27 PM
My CAI setup is similar to yours.
The extra hole with the rubber on it is for the O2 sensor.

iced
11-12-2007, 01:38 PM
pull the rubber out, and put in a rubber blanking grommet.
you can buy these at most auto stores. they should be on a champion stand.

done and done.

oil? phhttt

dsp26
11-12-2007, 04:52 PM
My CAI setup is similar to yours.
The extra hole with the rubber on it is for the O2 sensor.

No it ain't coz the O2 sensor monitors A/F mixtures and is located at the collector of the header/extractors.... nice info!!:rolleyes:

it's for the Intake Air Temp sensor (IAT) as stated by a few already.

Dy_
13-12-2007, 11:38 AM
that intake arm must have been from an ek civic that needed a hole for the temp sensor..the eg's didnt have one on their intake arm so just cover it up with the grommet.
lol @ oil coming out

omgzilla
19-12-2007, 04:44 PM
even IF you rooted your head that bad and you SOMEHOW get an oil leak from that breather (conencted with blue hose in the pic) you guys really think oil would really roll and leak down to there even if the cai was declined while car is on idle with air still pulling towards plenum

Yes - blow-by! Causes positive crankcase air pressure and the air makes its way up to the rocker cover and out the rocker cover breather - into the inlet chamber.

One might assume that crankcase air pressure is high enough to make its way out the rocker cover breather and deposit blow-by gas (oil vapour [which deposits as liquid oil]) in the inlet pipe on shutoff at least.

My old pulsar used to get a little deposit of oil in the air filter and inlet tract after a few months (worn rings).

In the OP's case - his motor may be in a much healthier condition and he most probably needn't worry about oil leaking out of the IAT sensor opening.

Just plug it up - No more info needed.

bennjamin
19-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Yes - blow-by! Causes positive crankcase air pressure and the air makes its way up to the rocker cover and out the rocker cover breather - into the inlet chamber.

One might assume that crankcase air pressure is high enough to make its way out the rocker cover breather and deposit blow-by gas (oil vapour [which deposits as liquid oil]) in the inlet pipe on shutoff at least.

My old pulsar used to get a little deposit of oil in the air filter and inlet tract after a few months (worn rings).

In the OP's case - his motor may be in a much healthier condition and he most probably needn't worry about oil leaking out of the IAT sensor opening.

Just plug it up - No more info needed.

You do know that the pipe from the intake arm to the cam-cover is a "intake" for the Positive-crankcase system ? So , unless there is something truly rooted with your engines blow-by (IE a big blockage somewhere) there shouldnt be any major amount of oil vapor (blowby) in the intake pipe itself. There IS blowby in the intake manifold tho and it will put carbon around your throttle butterfly and alittle beyond :)

dsp26
19-12-2007, 06:18 PM
^^^exactly....

omgzilla
19-12-2007, 08:21 PM
You do know that the pipe from the intake arm to the cam-cover is a "intake" for the Positive-crankcase system ?

Where does the positive crankcase pressure get released? Intake manifold via PCV valve?

I was under the assumption that it may work both ways, not having a 1-way valve on the rocker cover breather hose?

bennjamin
20-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Where does the positive crankcase pressure get released? Intake manifold via PCV valve?

I was under the assumption that it may work both ways, not having a 1-way valve on the rocker cover breather hose?

It gets released into the intake manifold via a 1 way (spring loaded diaphragm
) Positive Crankcase Valve.IT does not work both ways.
Its relative to emissions , Im sure most if not all modern cars have this system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve

Jump to: navigation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve#column-one), search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve#searchInput)
The Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve, or PCV valve, is a one-way valve that ensures continual evacuation of gases from inside a gasoline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline) internal combustion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion) engine's crankcase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase).

ANYWAY ~ for teh original poster , you need to seal up that extra hole on your intake pipe.

dsp26
21-12-2007, 07:34 AM
omgzilla: exactly as described above... i too used to drive an sr20 powered vehicle and not one person on PGA/exaclub/sr20forums could tell where an oil catch can was supposed to be plumbed because of how many pipes come out of the head... i've learned to accept that honda's are just different to any other car especially it's sensitivity to air... :)

omgzilla
21-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for clearing that up guys.

I just got a bit confused after having worked on a vehicle at work that had a fully choked up PCV system and had sludged/caked oil everywhere (inlet pipe/tract included!).

It's all a learning process isn't it!?

Thanks again.

bennjamin
21-12-2007, 07:22 PM
dont worry about it :) good to see you have a good attitude about it all too , unlike a few people around here.

BlitZ
22-12-2007, 01:09 PM
WTF is everyone going on about...

shouldnt it be an O2 sensor there... d series dont have one.. block the farker up... only for b's

This shit has nothing to do with crankcase pressure... The other hose is a vacumme for the pressure in the head... thats it.

bennjamin
22-12-2007, 01:51 PM
This shit has nothing to do with crankcase pressure... The other hose is a vacumme for the pressure in the head... thats it.

huh ?

http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/-/P/accord_pcv_657b.gif