PDA

View Full Version : engine wont start

tekung89
28-11-2007, 04:27 PM
i jus did a mini conversion. and the car wont start. got the d16y1 dizzy and timing belt and the head.

the only thing that i 'possibly' ddnt do correctly was when i put on the timing belt to adjust the cam shaft and crank shaft properly (something like TDC, 180degreez or wateva). maybe thats the problem. when i start it up, it still cranks but doesnt start (it feels as though sometimes while trying to start the motor that its gona start coz i here some slight poping noise which makes me think something is igniting). also. previously i have tried to start the car up and stepped on the pedal. could this have flood the engine with petrol abit?

the cause of this so far i think could be:
-flooded motor
-spark plugs gone
-i jus got a second hand d16y1 dizzy which i thought was the problem because i was previously using a d15b7 dizzy, but the dizzy could be dodgey?
-crank and cam timing is off

if someone can give me some pictures of how the crank lines up with the cam. i do kno that the cam has an 'UP' letter on it. also the crank has a tiny missing bit out of it. are they suppose to be in line ? . e.g. cam with the part that has 'UP' is set at 90 degrees and the crank is also set at 90degreez?

i've uploaded a dodgey clip of me tryna start it up. please help guys :(

http://www.youtube.com/v/svKIzy8DKKk

destrukshn
28-11-2007, 05:37 PM
your timing is probably WAY off.

ECU-MAN
28-11-2007, 07:52 PM
test for spark

are you getting fuel to the injectors

are the injectors pulsing

tekung89
28-11-2007, 08:22 PM
update on wats happening:
- i have corrected the timing ,. the 'UP' marking on the cam is set at 12 o'clock and the crank is also set inline with the cam at 12 o'clock. the dizzy has been set back in the middle.

- spark plugs were checked and there was a electic zap appearing when the car was starting

- how do i check that the injectors are paulsing? i kno that there is definately petrol running through into the fuel rack which holds the injectors (i think thats wat its called)

- the car atm has a dead battery from me pluggin in a light, so its charging atm.

ECU-MAN
28-11-2007, 09:31 PM
hold the injector and as you crank you can feal it pulse

I use a test light. also you can use a long screw driver to listen through.

make sure you dont have the dizzy drive out by 180 deg

also is the earth on the thermostat housing firmly secured

jdmTYPE R
28-11-2007, 09:44 PM
is your spark plug leads in the right position??..

tekung89
28-11-2007, 09:59 PM
i havnt played with the earth wiring on the thermostat so its fine. i double check it and its locked in there pretty tight

i cant reach the injectors while starting up the car so i'll have to wait till tomorrow to see how it goes. car still cranks but doesnt start. and after cranking i can smell petrol =/

ECU-MAN wat do u mean by dizzy out by 180degreez, can u explain that in futher depths.

tekung89
28-11-2007, 10:00 PM
yes, the leads are in the right position because each lead can only extend to a certain length.

tekung89
28-11-2007, 10:18 PM
:( great guys, i have coolant leaking inbetween my head and block, i guess i have a leak somewhere which means not enough compression to start the car? i guess its time to rip out the entire head and redo my mini me conversion again slowly and triple checking as i go . OR should i jus rip my head off and tighten the head bolts harder.

ECU-MAN
29-11-2007, 04:07 PM
are you getting coolant on the cylinders ???

SLOWEGG
29-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Did you machine the new head and get a new head gasket? torque the head down to spec?

jessica
29-11-2007, 08:57 PM
why dont you pressure test the cooling system to find out where the leak is? you can get thoses from repco or bursons. and it really sounds like your timings out. make sure you got the right timing belt with the right amount of teeth, the dizzy is not 180 degrees out and if your timing marks are all lined up and that you have feul and spark.

tekung89
29-11-2007, 09:49 PM
coolant had leak through to the cylinder i think, and oil had leak through into the coolant or wateva, it was a mess when i pulled the head apart. anyways. i did the mini-me conversion again and same thing. even checked the plugs, injectors, timing, dizzy, everything~!. i think its jus faulty head or something. anyways im done with it. i put my old motor back in and now its playing up. idles like crap and i jus hope the water doesnt leak into other parts of my block and vice versa.

SLOWEGG
29-11-2007, 11:46 PM
When you bought the vtec head, did u get get it machined? hope u got a new headgasket aswell.

tekung89
30-11-2007, 01:02 PM
well back to my old engine now. re did my timing and now its idles fine. as for the d16y1 , i might jus pull it apart and play around with it. this thread can be closed now =) thanks for all the help

yah mum
30-11-2007, 03:08 PM
b series ftw!:)