PDA

View Full Version : Sub/Amp which one?

PANJAB
28-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Hey guyz, i am in the market to purchase a new sub & amp i want decent sound and bass. I currently have a sony head unit (52W x 4) two Sony 6" Speakers in the front (120 W) two Sony 6x9 (220W) in the rear parcel tray (Integra dc2), now i'v been checking out Strathfield n stuff.. i really dont know which one to choose... any recomendations? i dont wana spend tooo much.....
cheers

D4rk4n63l
29-11-2007, 07:03 AM
how much is too much?

PANJAB
29-11-2007, 11:32 AM
how much is too much?
hey, like i dont wana go above $400.... if i can get a decent sub/amp around this range... like i was checking the strathfield catalouge, they have this sony xplod 12" 1000 W sub for $148 and amps are around $200-$300..but like which one? Mono Bloc/ 4 Channel? would i need?
cheers..

davec
29-11-2007, 11:35 AM
speakers should be fine to run off the head unit for a low budget system, just got for a sub and a mono block amp.

PANJAB
29-11-2007, 11:48 AM
http://www.strathfield.com/images/Catalogues/20071126/JPG/p7.jpg
here's the link... either the sony 600W 4 Channel Amp or the Pioneer... is there nething more i need to know? liek there rms out put ? or these should be enuf to pump out good sound ??

beeza
29-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I would recommend to buy an amp from a seller on here,in the For sale section,really cheap!
A sub you can pick up for $120 or so for a decent 12".

Joeyboy
29-11-2007, 02:02 PM
hi mate. either get a mono-blok or a 2-channel amp. i have a 200wRMS sub and a 250wRMS 2-channel amp in my Accord & its really loud (sometimes defeaning and u can feel that bass pumpin in ur chest). if that's what ur after, u wouldnt need to go any further than around the 200-250wRMS mark.

it would be good if u can get sony all throughout, to compliment your sony head and speakers.

sorry cant recommend anything to u, i tried to look in ebay and ryda for an amp that would be suitable, but not sure if sony makes it around that 250rms mark.

GOOD LUCK!

PANJAB
29-11-2007, 02:10 PM
hi mate. either get a mono-blok or a 2-channel amp. i have a 200wRMS sub and a 250wRMS 2-channel amp in my Accord & its really loud (sometimes defeaning and u can feel that bass pumpin in ur chest). if that's what ur after, u wouldnt need to go any further than around the 200-250wRMS mark.

it would be good if u can get sony all throughout, to compliment your sony head and speakers.

sorry cant recommend anything to u, i tried to look in ebay and ryda for an amp that would be suitable, but not sure if sony makes it around that 250rms mark.

GOOD LUCK!
hey mate, thanks for the info.. may i know what brand amp ur using?, so i was wandering should one amp be enuf to hook up sub/speakers?? like a 4 channel sony amp 600 W?? or do i need two seperate amps, one for the sub and one for the speakers?? cheers

gbang007
29-11-2007, 03:50 PM
i got a sub n amp for sale in one of my threads if you want. second hand stuff. good quality! pm me or search for my for sale thread

Joeyboy
29-11-2007, 04:20 PM
hey mate, thanks for the info.. may i know what brand amp ur using?, so i was wandering should one amp be enuf to hook up sub/speakers?? like a 4 channel sony amp 600 W?? or do i need two seperate amps, one for the sub and one for the speakers?? cheers

My amp is Jaycar (Response)...awesome amp! kicks a$$. really good value for money...

If you dont have splits at the front (meaning speakers + tweeters + crossovers), then i wouldnt bother hooking up an amp to your front speakers (no noticeable difference in quality, especially at your price range). And I wouldnt bother hooking up an amp to your rears (same thing, wont be too much difference in quality).

I would just stick to a direct amp to your sub and u will be amazed of the BIG difference it will make. Might as well pay for a powerful amp and a sub that can take a beating.

Now if you're really serious about your sounds, u should one day get your hands on component speakers (splits). Sounds heaps better than normal front speakers especially when hooked up to an amp.

OMG.JAI xD
29-11-2007, 07:19 PM
brutha .. all you need is 1 grand .. maybe not even and i can get you full speaker front, rear, 6x9, 4 channel, 2channel a sub and a mono proabably alpine? pioneer? sony definately..soundstream (sorta .. depends wat you want)

pm me if anyone interested :D

PANJAB
30-11-2007, 11:43 AM
My amp is Jaycar (Response)...awesome amp! kicks a$$. really good value for money...

If you dont have splits at the front (meaning speakers + tweeters + crossovers), then i wouldnt bother hooking up an amp to your front speakers (no noticeable difference in quality, especially at your price range). And I wouldnt bother hooking up an amp to your rears (same thing, wont be too much difference in quality).

I would just stick to a direct amp to your sub and u will be amazed of the BIG difference it will make. Might as well pay for a powerful amp and a sub that can take a beating.

Now if you're really serious about your sounds, u should one day get your hands on component speakers (splits). Sounds heaps better than normal front speakers especially when hooked up to an amp.
hey thanks for the tips man, yea i guess derez no point in hooking up the front/rear speakers with an amp if it aint gona make much difference... so with the response amp.. where would i b able 2 source 1? Jaycar?... coz im trying their website cant find nething...neway cheerz..

rahul
30-11-2007, 05:03 PM
hey thanks for the tips man, yea i guess derez no point in hooking up the front/rear speakers with an amp if it aint gona make much difference... so with the response amp.. where would i b able 2 source 1? Jaycar?... coz im trying their website cant find nething...neway cheerz..

you gotta be kidding... its makes all the difference. hooking up even stock speakers to an make make them perform better cos the amp provides clean controllable power. all most all of them these days have high pass and low pass filters.
by cutting out low pass frequencies to speakers, the speakers will only be playing their optimum frequencies, hence getting better sound out of them.

its really up to you which direction you want to go, you want good sound or just doof doof. if its the latar, just get a sub and amp

PANJAB
01-12-2007, 12:41 PM
you gotta be kidding... its makes all the difference. hooking up even stock speakers to an make make them perform better cos the amp provides clean controllable power. all most all of them these days have high pass and low pass filters.
by cutting out low pass frequencies to speakers, the speakers will only be playing their optimum frequencies, hence getting better sound out of them.

its really up to you which direction you want to go, you want good sound or just doof doof. if its the latar, just get a sub and amp

well mate i just responded to the previous reply, coz i dont have splits, their just normal 6" 120W 2 Way Sony Speakers and 6x9 220 W 3 Way speakers in the rear... neway i'l be checking it out.. thanks to all for their feedback..
cheerz!:thumbsup:

rahul
01-12-2007, 04:00 PM
well mate i just responded to the previous reply, coz i dont have splits, their just normal 6" 120W 2 Way Sony Speakers and 6x9 220 W 3 Way speakers in the rear... neway i'l be checking it out.. thanks to all for their feedback..
cheerz!:thumbsup:

i wasnt having a go at ya... you really dont need to upgrade the rears.. if you think about it, all the sound comes from the front. you wouldnt talk to someone having your back to them, you'd talk them infront of them

so if your after something decent overall sound...go with jaycar spilts for the front, they have a good rep for cost/performance

leave the stock rears and run them of the head unit.

get a 4 decent 4 ch amp. using ch 1 and 2 for splits and bridge ch 3 and 4 to run the sub, the pionner entry level sub has a good rep for bang for your buck

good luck!

PANJAB
01-12-2007, 04:32 PM
i wasnt having a go at ya... you really dont need to upgrade the rears.. if you think about it, all the sound comes from the front. you wouldnt talk to someone having your back to them, you'd talk them infront of them

so if your after something decent overall sound...go with jaycar spilts for the front, they have a good rep for cost/performance

leave the stock rears and run them of the head unit.

get a 4 decent 4 ch amp. using ch 1 and 2 for splits and bridge ch 3 and 4 to run the sub, the pionner entry level sub has a good rep for bang for your buck

good luck!
no worrz man, its all coo.. thanks for the valuable feedback :).. really appreciate it... im thinkin of getting the jaycar 4 channel (response) amp for $200 and the sony 1000 W sub from strathfield.... thanks every1 once again...

OMG.JAI xD
02-12-2007, 12:19 AM
by any chance, were you planning on getting this amp ?

Specifications:
Power / channel @ 4ohm 14.4V: 50WRMS x 4
Power / channel @ 2ohm 14.4V: 80WRMS x 4
Power / bridged @ 4ohm 14.4V: 160WRMS x 2
Signal/Noise ratio: >90dB
Input sensitivity: 200mV to 5V
Low pass filter: 50 - 500Hz @ 12dB/octave
High pass filter: 50 - 500Hz @ 12dB/octave
Pass thru RCA: Yes
Dimensions: 280(L) x 258(W) x 50mm(D)

and that sony sub.. were you planning on running it off the 4 channel amp?

if im not mistaken that sub has a 350-500 watts rms or so ? 1000w is the peak?

if youre gonna use rahuls way, id recommend youd either get a pretty powerfull 4 channel .. or a weak sub..

underpowering a sub isnt so good .. wont do as much damage as overpowering but its not recommended.

subs are inteded to be ran at rms wattage preferably with a mono.

and i can see that youre leaning more towards sound quality rather than all doof doof.

since youre running 6' in the front and 6x9 in the rears, i would keep that as is, or spend alittle extra money and run all 4 with a 4 or 2 2 channel amps.

with the sub, youd need to know if your cars boot is firewalled or one piece where the seats fold in, because it does matter..
since sound quality is top priority, you wouldnt want your subs killing all other noises.

bottom line is, theres alot in audio that matters and counts.
like for instance, 50watts to 6" running 20k hertz cannot be compared to a sub 10" running 30hertz.
100 watts to a 6" is already loud asss..

theres too much info i can keep blabbering on about, if you want pm me and i can tell you more about it. and probably recommend you the type of amps n subs etc etc.
i know a bit about audio, all i dont really know about is tuning boxes, and tuning the subs accordingly to the box. besides that i hope i can help. just dont want you spendin all that money and be dissapointed in the end.
sometimes i still wonder why i got too much of a powerful system in my little EG .. lol
but still, worth it in my eyes .. sometimes.. just wen i want to rattle some house windows lol :D

wellz anyway, goodluck =]

smoove
03-12-2007, 09:50 AM
hey mate, i may have a spare jaycar 4x100 amp if you're interested...

that power figure is RMS, so excellent to use 2 channels to amp up the front speakers and the other 2 bridged for a subwoofer... plenty of power there

jezsx
04-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah ive used the repsonse amps from jaycar before yeah i found it worked well and good price. I would myself try go for a 4ch and some Splits which are also well priced at jaycar esp the yellow kevlar ones.And then you have another 2 channels later for when you decide to run a nice 12inch sub which like 150 these days

Also the hagemyer factory outlet in beverly Hills sell JVC audio eqpmnt I seen 2 ch amp 350w max(2x64rms) for $70 brand new and decent looking splits with the crossovers ofcourse for $100. So 170 and your on your way.

smoove
04-12-2007, 07:33 PM
if you like really "bright" splits, i'd recommend the Clarion's from LifeStyle Audio (if you're in Sydney) $99 bucks, has an inline crossover, rather than a seperate unit...

subs you can find a 12" sub + box for around $100 2nd hand...

it all depends what you're after... i only spent $300 on my setup and it does the job for me... I used to be an audiophile but now i'd rather spend that money on performance / styling mods rather than ICE