PDA

View Full Version : Difference between EG and EK for B18C Swap?

Moya
29-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Other than weight, which I've been informed the EG is slightly lighter than the EK.

What would be a better car for a B18C swap?

Specifically comparing the EG and EK, with items such as existing drivetrains/wheel hubs/weight distribution and suspension components.

I already have ITR OEM Rear LCA's - so with with either the EG or EK, with can I immediately just bolt on the Rear LCA's and connect up some BC Race Spec coilovers or will I need other parts (front control arms?)?

EG is obviously cheaper at maybe 3-4K. EK might set me back 5-6K. I just didn't wanna find out the EG has smaller driveshafts, or it's harder to do a big brake upgrade to an EG because of the wheel hub for example.

Thanks!!

kazam
29-11-2007, 01:08 PM
well to be honest i hear of about 10 eg's with b18c's to evry1 1 ek with a b18 so i guess all in all EG must be alot easier... or maybe they just do it coz of the weight..

in the end, the search button is your friend...

winderic
30-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Just wandering is the eg you guys mention is HB or sedan?
Or just the same? Got one eg8 sedan,thinking of doing the same swap too.

kazam
30-11-2007, 09:43 AM
um most swaps are dun in the HB's coz their lighter. but yes very do-able in the sedan.

teaseR
30-11-2007, 10:48 AM
but then again in the sedan... selling it would be hard.
like the riceballz(member) k20 swap in a eg sedan selling for cheap... seems like theres no potential buyers. if it was a hatch it would be gone at that price.

an93l
02-12-2007, 01:40 AM
well depends wat u want i guess the drag or tracks? Ek is heavier but it has better handling but the eg is lighter handle isnt as great but better for the straight.

shadou
02-12-2007, 04:39 AM
^ so the ek out handles an EG on track? learn something new everyday.

tRipitaka
02-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Other than weight, which I've been informed the EG is slightly lighter than the EK.

What would be a better car for a B18C swap?

Specifically comparing the EG and EK, with items such as existing drivetrains/wheel hubs/weight distribution and suspension components.

I already have ITR OEM Rear LCA's - so with with either the EG or EK, with can I immediately just bolt on the Rear LCA's and connect up some BC Race Spec coilovers or will I need other parts (front control arms?)?

EG is obviously cheaper at maybe 3-4K. EK might set me back 5-6K. I just didn't wanna find out the EG has smaller driveshafts, or it's harder to do a big brake upgrade to an EG because of the wheel hub for example.

Thanks!!

you'd probably wouldn't want to use ITR LCA's on an EK, as the LCA's are a different length..

doing a B18C in an EG will be easier, as you don't need to look for new mounts for your car.. dc/eg mounts are the same..

depending on what year b18c you get, and EG/EK you get.. you might need a conversion harness as ECU's are different depending on year..

EG, if you get a carby model, you'll be looking at doing an EFI conversion..

most of the EK models have all disc brakes except the CXI and the ej8

only the SI, SiR and VTi have disc brakes with the EG's..

EG is lighter than the EK..

Moya
02-12-2007, 12:13 PM
you'd probably wouldn't want to use ITR LCA's on an EK, as the LCA's are a different length..

doing a B18C in an EG will be easier, as you don't need to look for new mounts for your car.. dc/eg mounts are the same..

depending on what year b18c you get, and EG/EK you get.. you might need a conversion harness as ECU's are different depending on year..

EG, if you get a carby model, you'll be looking at doing an EFI conversion..

most of the EK models have all disc brakes except the CXI and the ej8

only the SI, SiR and VTi have disc brakes with the EG's..

EG is lighter than the EK..

Thanks mate!!

So the rears of the EG GLI/CXi are drum's? Is this a problem for me as I'd probably reuse my brakes/wheel hub from my VTI-R.

I THINK my old DC2 VTI-R was ODB1 and so is the EG (92-94, ODB1), so I should be good to reuse Hondata and wiring harnesses.

Thanks for your post, thats the kinda info I want!
Should I put an extra $2k in the initial car, and buy a VTI for example because it has the small extras (brake lines to the rear etc).

98vtir
02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm lookin to put a B18C into my EK within a couple years. Can't wait, I don't want the fastest thing on the road....just a phat sounding sexy car mmmm yeah EK is def the hottest in my opinion ooooo yeah

simonnowis
02-12-2007, 09:40 PM
doing a b18c conversion into an eg is easier then ek pretty much because of the fact of eg chasis being the same as the dc so you can use stock mounts.theres not that big of a weight diff between eg and ek. plus if weight is a concern, im thinking you want a car for track then you can strip which ever eg or ek enough to weigh alot less than stock.
in considering cost, although eg are alot cheaper thats becuz alot of them are getting old and trust me you find it difficult to find a good condition and/or low km at 3-4k, so in the end ull have to spend some money on cosmetics.
and you should def get an efi to save alot of time and money, if you dont get a si or vti that means you'll need to change the rear drums to discs. not that hard if you have the parts avaliable.

barefootbonzai
02-12-2007, 09:58 PM
For a b-series swap, an EG is MUCH easier to work with as compared to EK. Plus since you're working with a Teg, pretty much everything can fit into the EG unlike EK's.

zco
02-12-2007, 10:25 PM
but then again in the sedan... selling it would be hard.
like the riceballz(member) k20 swap in a eg sedan selling for cheap... seems like theres no potential buyers. if it was a hatch it would be gone at that price.

thats because most of the ppl on ozhonda are tightarses .. nothing but a bunch of dreamers that all wanna do k20a swaps theres about 10 ppl in syd doing or have done k swaps, and theres about 10,000 that WANT to..

to the original poster, sell your EG and buy riceballs one.. saves you shitloads of time and money.

Limbo
03-12-2007, 12:43 AM
main reason most people pick the eg over the ek is cost.
eks cost more and when your doing the first conversion you don't wanna blow outta budget. The Ek is much nicer to drive though. PM SLAZ he has done both and prefers the ek over the eg.

Paul1985
03-12-2007, 01:02 AM
thats because most of the ppl on ozhonda are tightarses .. nothing but a bunch of dreamers that all wanna do k20a swaps theres about 10 ppl in syd doing or have done k swaps, and theres about 10,000 that WANT to..

to the original poster, sell your EG and buy riceballs one.. saves you shitloads of time and money.

Too right!
I reckon i would probably be the only on in geelong doing it :D
wonder how many ppl in melb are??

Cant believe someone hasnt bought that sedan.

FFS. for the price its at its cheaper to buy it as a whole and throw the whole K running gear into a hatch than it is to do your own K-swap on your car.
I will have spent more on K-series engine parts than the total price of that car. Its a K20A aswell i think not K20A2.

Amazes me people fail to notice something like this yet everyone wants to do K.

Anyway, on topic..

I think you need to first work out how much you wanna spend and which shell is your prefered option.
EK will cost you more in total as compared to the EG.

Personally id do the EG but only because im biased.
Both can be set up to be very similar performing cars with what you wanna do. Depends on which shell you prefer and how much you are willing to spend.
You make those decisions and your set.