PDA

View Full Version : Questions For the ICE Expert

EuroAccord13
16-08-2004, 01:07 AM
I am not an ICE person so I have no idea what to look out for but this is my little ICE problem

I'm thinking of just doing a mild upgrade on my car that won't add too much wieght that's all..

The Euro comes with a pair of tweets, front speakers and rear 6 x 9..

Say I want a mild bass boost, do I need an amp? I'm thinking like 2 10 inch subs in the boot (Got an idea where to install them without sacrificing boot space). If I do, will a 2 channel do? One for each Sub? Can I run subs without amps?

My other speakers, can I just change them to better ones without running it through the amps?

Lastly... I hope you can give me a general product brief of the parts I need for my mild system and approximate price, brands etc... Thanks!

Parts I need
2 10 inch Subs
1 Amp? If I need one based on advice...
A pair of Tweeters
A pair of front speakers.. I think they are 6 inch?
A Pair of Rear 6 x 9s

CHEERS
Nick

aka_NSX
16-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Say I want a mild bass boost, do I need an amp? I'm thinking like 2 10 inch subs in the boot (Got an idea where to install them without sacrificing boot space). If I do, will a 2 channel do? One for each Sub? Can I run subs without amps? 2 ch will do but its better running it in mono rather in stereo, so if u r getting 2 ch better bridge it to mono, or buy a mono AMP, and you need a line level converter since ur OEM H/U has no RCA O/P . . . .
My other speakers, can I just change them to better ones without running it through the amps? u can but its always better if run it with an AMP

Lastly... I hope you can give me a general product brief of the parts I need for my mild system and approximate price, brands etc... Thanks!

Parts I need
2 10 inch Subs JL AUDIO / FOCAL / DIGITAL DESIGN
1 Amp? If I need one based on advice...PHOENIX GOLD / AUDISON / ROKFORD / BOSTON
A pair of Tweeters
A pair of front speakers.. I think they are 6 inch? get the FOCAL 165Vslim / DYNAUDIO / BOSTON / PHOENIX GOLD
A Pair of Rear 6 x 9s any reasonable 6x9 will do since u r looking a nice front staging so u don't need to worry much with ur rear spkr unless u don't mind spend more extra
NOTE : for speaker don't judge on the price and don't listen to what ppl said, u better go to the shop and listen one, or listen to someone system with a nice set up, because everyone got different opinion, maybe I like FOCAL but maybe some ppl prfer DYNAUDIO, maybe some ppl can't tell the different between $1000 spkr agains $400 spkr . . . . .so why buy expensive one

EuroAccord13
17-08-2004, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the reply dude...

I am not versed in the art of listening out for what makes a good set of speakers through the clarity of the musci that comes out :( so I really dunno what to look out for :( So far, I've only heard about Cadence being a good budget system, but then again, there are those u recommended..

Even listening to them in store will be hard because they are not enclosed like the way it should be in a car and I guess that makes a difference?

Lastly so you reckon I should get an amp for my speakers too? how many channel and what's a mono amp?

CHEERS and Thanks Again!
Nick

Javed
17-08-2004, 07:43 AM
you don't need 6*9's running with a sub/s. ITs horrible. Grab some 6.5 coaxes in the back as rear fill.aka NSX had some good suggestions and i am a bit of a focal fan myself haha!

poid
17-08-2004, 08:25 AM
since you want to save weight, you can start by not having any rears at all (this saves a bit of money, which you can put towards a better front stage!). Thats how i would do it anyway.

How much do you have to spend? A budget makes it easier for us to make suggestions, and it also makes it easier for you to see what speakers are available for you to audition :)

wynode
17-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Don't touch 6x9s either. Get a good set of 6 or 6.5" speakers for the rears.

toE
18-08-2004, 05:32 AM
remove the 6x9/rears.

swap the factory front speakers with a gd set of splits.

get a 4 channel amp

get 1 10" sub

presto! :D

as for brands...meh..just buy well known brands in ur budget. u're more interested in performance anyways Nick. :p

EuroAccord13
21-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks Dudes..

Ok I am still abit confused LOL pardon me.. If I have 2 subs.. I don't need 6x9, just 6 or 6.5 for the rear.. why is that?

If I don't have subs.. do I still use 6x9 or 6/6.5?

I can make do without rear speakers?? wouldn't that make my car sound like an 80s Falcodore?

Thanks...

aka_NSX
21-08-2004, 08:23 PM
since the rear is basically only for fill means u dont need to worry much, thats why some ppl prfer without any rear at all, and some 6" / 6.5" rather than 6x9, but IMO if u dont have any sub u better run a 6x9 just to get a bit of bass, and if u r not really a basshead i reckon 1 10" is more than enough and less weight, of course u can run system without rear spkr, it wont sound like an 80s car . . . . . . .