PDA

View Full Version : how long does car battery last?

finalazy
30-11-2007, 05:28 PM

yellow-dc2
30-11-2007, 06:16 PM
no

It all depends on the battery, but a standard small battery should hold for up to 2 hours with the stereo on and engine off, worst case!

Your battery is f**ked, unless its a super high performance dry cell or something in which they are designed to start the car and keep it running and thats about all.

finalazy
30-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Its a Century NS40ZS.

http://www.centurybatteries.com.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=10972&cid=5461&type=118&batterydivision=-1&application=67&producttype=13&productsubtype=0

aaronng
30-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Get a good battery like an AC Delco or Supercharge Gold. They are about $90.

yellow-dc2
30-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Your battery is f**ked

and for the record there is nothing wrong with a century battery as they come with a 5 year warranty, so you might want to check the production date, you might be able to get a free battery form century.

If you want to be sure go to Autobarn as they have battery testers and are a century dealer, so if its cactus you can do everything from Autobarn.

finalazy
01-12-2007, 11:02 AM
thanks a lot.
Or could the problem be with the alternator?

yellow-dc2
01-12-2007, 12:17 PM
If it is your alternator it has killed your battery, so you will need a new battery anyway, get a Multimeter and check to see if there is any currant draw from your battery when everything is turned off, it should read something like .02 there is always draw but if its over .05 you will have a problem with the alternator Solenoid, if there is no charge when car is running you will have a dead alt.

Limbo
01-12-2007, 09:56 PM
most mechanic places will be able to tell you if the battery or the alternator is gone.

try filling the battery with water first, might fix your problem, if it doesn't work then you might need a new battery

yellow-dc2
02-12-2007, 06:25 AM
There is no such thing as an alternator solenoid?????

you -snip- minus rep me for a -snip- mistyped word!

I am trying to help people and get out of the red and you go and do something like that cos your -snip- or some shit.

I meant regulator! now you better pos rep me for the mistake you made or i'm gonna **** your shit up!!!

also you might want to look at some of my latest posts, as i have done nothing but try and help people on this web site and dicks like you just think cos i'm in the red that i know nothing so i must be minus again. i really hope you get - rep for what you have just done to me, -snip-

Kiz_EG6
02-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Yellow-DC2, Settle down mate!!

But yeah, Claymore, give the guy a break, i do not think something as minor as that deserves a neg rep, it's not like he told the guy to drink the battery acid, pretty harsh man, some of his posts have been quite helpful!!

JDM.Power
02-12-2007, 08:57 AM
yellow-dc2 take it up with another mod or post a thread in the discussion area.

but yeah, you can buy a odessy battery, it last long and it saves space in your engine bay.

http://vtluu.net/images/pc680.jpg

p.s but they are expensive but worth it!
5 out of 5stars
brother has it in his gtr, it saved up space and doesnt worry if the lights or stereo is left on for hours n hours.
i think these ones recharges it self somehow, from what ive herd.

Kiz_EG6
02-12-2007, 10:14 AM
yellow-dc2 take it up with another mod or post a thread in the discussion area.

but yeah, you can buy a odessy battery, it last long and it saves space in your engine bay.

http://vtluu.net/images/pc680.jpg

p.s but they are expensive but worth it!
5 out of 5stars
brother has it in his gtr, it saved up space and doesnt worry if the lights or stereo is left on for hours n hours.
i think these ones recharges it self somehow, from what ive herd.

If they are anything like what i would think, they are a dry cell, deep cycle battery.
These are on average smaller and have a longer shelf life!
Though if it is your altenator that is the problem, or something in the car draining the battery (eg faulty alarm etc) then a deep cycle battery will not solve the problem!!

aaronng
02-12-2007, 10:56 AM
If they are anything like what i would think, they are a dry cell, deep cycle battery.
These are on average smaller and have a longer shelf life!
Though if it is your altenator that is the problem, or something in the car draining the battery (eg faulty alarm etc) then a deep cycle battery will not solve the problem!!

According to the threadstarter:

i recently purchased a 96 civic vtir and the guy said [highlight]leaving reds, stereo or lights on (engine off) for about 5mins then the battery goes flat.
Sounds like the battery has been left to run flat before and therefore does not hold charge anymore. Just change the battery. I don't think it's an alternator fault. If it was, then he wouldn't be able to start the car without charging the battery manually every few days.

yellow-dc2
02-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I would suggest testing with a mutimeter before spending $100 on a battery.