PDA

View Full Version : summer break: car left 'un'started for several months

isami
02-12-2007, 01:41 AM
so im gonna head overseas for my summer holidays for about 3 months max.. so its just gonna be sitting in the garage doing nothing all that time. No one else is gonna drive it cause they have their own cars.
Anything that i should remember to do before leaving??

shadou
02-12-2007, 02:44 AM
unhook the battery that should be about it. 3 months isn't a terrible amount of time for leaving a car.

Kiz_EG6
02-12-2007, 06:38 AM
As above.

Also leave the petrol tank mostly empty, so you can run a nice fresh tank of juice through it when you get back, rather than having to burn through a whole tank of stale S#!t.

yellow-dc2
02-12-2007, 07:31 AM
I would think you would want the petrol tank full as to prevent corrosion in the tank, when you come back do an oil change, and see if you can get someone to start it once a month

yellow-dc2
02-12-2007, 08:16 AM
I have just done some reading on fuel shelf life and it seems Kiz_EG6 was right,

If you leave fuel in your car you will run the risk of it going stale, in which the lighter particles evaporate leaving a heaver less potent fuel, and the possibility of damaging your fuel pump or injectors and more.

I would suggest leaving your car with little to no fuel and on your return i would fill it to the brim and change your filter after you use that first tank of fuel.

ACTI0NMAN-1
02-12-2007, 10:05 AM
I have just done some reading on fuel shelf life and it seems Kiz_EG6 was right,

If you leave fuel in your car you will run the risk of it going stale, in which the lighter particles evaporate leaving a heaver less potent fuel, and the possibility of damaging your fuel pump or injectors and more.

I would suggest leaving your car with little to no fuel and on your return i would fill it to the brim and change your filter after you use that first tank of fuel.

Your fuel tank and system should be slightly pressurised to prevent evaporation.
And leving it almost empty and filling it up with new fuel is a waste of time. How else are you going to get the car to the petrol station other than driving it and using that older fuel? (duh?)

I would fill the tank to prevent corrosion.

Kiz_EG6
02-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Your fuel tank and system should be slightly pressurised to prevent evaporation.
And leving it almost empty and filling it up with new fuel is a waste of time. How else are you going to get the car to the petrol station other than driving it and using that older fuel? (duh?)

I would fill the tank to prevent corrosion.

F*ck man, even once ur fuel light comes on you still have like 80k's to go!!
I did not say EMPTY it just don't leave it full!!

How far does ur average person live from a petrol station, 5 min max?!?
How many fuel tanks have you heard of corroding after being left 3/4 empty for only 3 months!!
Does that mean that if i never fill my tank up full, just put 20bux in here and there, then i'm fuc*d cos the top 10 litres worth of my fuel tank is all corroded... think man!!

ACTI0NMAN-1
02-12-2007, 10:26 AM
you did state 'little to no fuel' and not 3/4 empty.
There is quite a possibility with no fuel in the tank, corrosion and surface rust can appear.

I was mainly refering to 3 months of fuel sitting in your fuel tank should not breakdown enough to make a difference.

Limbo
02-12-2007, 10:35 AM
look just leave it and when you get back put some fuel in and add some of the Fuel Doctor, which will clean out the crap in the fuel. I think its about $10 or something

Kiz_EG6
02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
you did state 'little to no fuel' and not 3/4 empty.
There is quite a possibility with no fuel in the tank, corrosion and surface rust can appear.

I was mainly refering to 3 months of fuel sitting in your fuel tank should not breakdown enough to make a difference.

I never said no fuel, quote me on it if you want, anyways, we're talking about people here who think they can tell the difference between shell v-power and bp ultimate etc... anyway, that's another story, all i am getting at is it is nice to run a fresh tank through when you drive ur car for the 1st time in a while!!

aaronng
02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Just fill the tank to at least 1/2 full. Make sure your engine oil is reasonably fresh. You don't want old gunky oil gumming up and leaving a film. Finally, disconnect and remove your battery if you can. If you have a spare battery or car in case you need to jump start, then leave your battery in and connected. The battery keeps the alarm working and actually helps slow down body/chassis corrosion.

krogoth
02-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Just fill the tank to at least 1/2 full. Make sure your engine oil is reasonably fresh. You don't want old gunky oil gumming up and leaving a film. Finally, disconnect and remove your battery if you can. If you have a spare battery or car in case you need to jump start, then leave your battery in and connected. The battery keeps the alarm working and actually helps slow down body/chassis corrosion.

very good advice

Bludger
02-12-2007, 04:48 PM
I woiuld leave a full tank of fuel

just my oppinion

yellow-dc2
02-12-2007, 09:39 PM
When it comes down to it there are pro's and con's against either way, you would probably be best to meet in the middle, meaning

Half a tank of Standard fuel (not high ron) then when that tank has been used when you get back just to be on the safe side change the fuel filter and run some injector cleaner and you will be good as gold.