PDA

View Full Version : Weird cylinder dropping problem

98vtir
03-12-2007, 07:08 AM
sup guys, i did a search but couldn't find anything related so here goes.

one day i came back from the coast and i noticed one of my cylinders was not firing, (it dropped out just before i got home). it turns out my injector wasn't getting a pulse. Although over that week (just cause i couldnt get to a mechanic before then) the cylinder would kick in and out randomly. so off to the auto-elec i go. They do fault testing and trace it back to my ECU not giving it a signal, weird thing is. When they pulled it out and plugged it back in, car wouldn't start, when it did start they were tapping the ECU the cylinder was kicking in and out.

Off it goes to the ECU tech fellow and he takes a look and reckons there isn't a thing wrong with my ECU. Auto-elec gets it back, plugs it in and my car has been running fine since friday.

Bit of a weird problem as there was nothing wrong found with it, hopefully it was a grubby terminal or some shit. the only few problems i've had with my car have been pretty chep to fix compared to my old SECA hahaha.

Lol, I would have got it on Wednesday but they decided to hit my fender with a hoist

nick_sixx
03-12-2007, 02:14 PM
there could be an insect in your cylinder

bennjamin
03-12-2007, 06:28 PM
u sure its not just a bad spark-plug lead ? IT might be popping off

yellow-dc2
03-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I have heard of a very similar thing happening, the guy wrote a post about it on another forum, he pulled the ECU apart and found some corroded/leaking capacitor.

This is the full write up
http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27814

OMG.JAI xD
03-12-2007, 07:37 PM
I have heard of a very similar thing happening, the guy wrote a post about it on another forum, he pulled the ECU apart and found some corroded/leaking capacitor.

This is the full write up
http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27814

that only happens to some cars ecus.
not sure if its a common problem with hondas..

i know lancers have that problem.

but id recommend trying a new (working used, ecu) and see if it still has the problem.

if it still comes back, check the leads, sparks, give injectors a bit of a spray n try then.

if still .. then youll probably have to go in depth .. n more technicall.

see if wires are sending right voltages, amps, or if resistance is in spec etc etc..

but hopefully you wont need to go that far..

goodluck neways =]

98vtir
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
its not the leads, at first we thought it was but my mechanic coincidently put a new engine in a prelude that threw a timing belt, so we chucked the appropriate lead off that engine cause they were exactly the same (i got NGK leads and this was a stock lead we put in) but alas the cylinder was still out.

so we checked the injector for a pulse and it wasnt getting one with the test light. And half ruled out it being the injector because when the cylinder decided to kick in it worked perfectly.

My ECU already got pulled apart, thats what happened when my auto-elec sent it off to the ECU geeban. He found nothing at all wrong with it. He offered to unsolder and resolder every component at my expense but i declined for obvious reasons

One other weird thing when my cylinder wasnt working it was getting very hot inside the car between the handbrake and gear stick, of course the exhaust is underneath all this but its just weird, Since I got the car back on friday i've driven a bit over 200km's and nothing so far so fingers crossed. Every is back to normal