PDA

View Full Version : Question about 2006 Honda Civic VTi

NewCivicOwner
04-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey guys!

Ok so i have a Civic Vti. It has a 2.0L I-Vtec engine (straight 4-cylinder).

Now ive had this car for over a year now and am at uni and have a bunch of cash saved up. I REALLY love my car and want to push its output to max if i can :).

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas or hints on modifications that are possible on this type of engine as you all are experts and i really have no idea of what i am able to do to the engine of this car and wat i should not do, the last thing i want to do is destroy wat is already a beautiful piece of machinery :).

P.S. If you have any tips on who i should talk to about this stuff i would love the advice

(Also if i have posted in the wrong place or there is already a topic about this i apologise in advance and will delete this post when told :) )

Thx.

Luke

mr_ree
04-12-2007, 05:56 PM
First of all, the only Civic 06> that has the "2.0l I-VTEC" engine is the civic sport

and if you have a Vti model its the 1.8L R18

...in terms of maxing out its power...the only way to get anysort of real world breathtaking highly noticeably power gains is through ...either turbo charging..supercharging..or k20 swap (inwhich then..u should of just bought the sport in the first place for that)

nonetheless...if you don't have the sort of $$$ for the t/c..s/c...then there is always intake for starters...and i don't know if there are headers yet made for the R18 ..let alone s/c or t/c..but search is your friend

NewCivicOwner
04-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Haha as i said i know pretty much nothing about civics, this car was bought for me as a present by my parents (have to pay it off gradually :P). [i feel really really stupid now btw lol]

hmmm do u have any idea how much t/c / s/c's cost on a R18? Or who i might be able to talk to about it?

aaronng
04-12-2007, 06:10 PM
For the R18A, you won't gain much power from bolt on mods. You can't even change the header. Changing to a pod filter can cause a CEL to come on. Forced induction is the way to go, but there isn't a full ECU available for the R18A yet. Since you can't change the headers easily, there isn't an easy header swap to run the turbo.

NewCivicOwner
04-12-2007, 06:20 PM
so prob my best bet is to wait and hope that they release some new parts for the R18 in the future?

Jo_e
04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Check this guys website out. He has a FD2 and has probably done more mods to the engine than anyone on this forum with a FD has. I also think hes a member on ozhonda so he could definately help you out with performance parts. Downside is, he is not located in Aus, so hence the availability of local parts is limited.

http://www.hondacivic-fd2.com/

Quote from his blog:
" Things I am doing:

* Heat Shield for my Air Intake
* Change Air Intake Filter to HKS Mega Flow ( Mushroom Head)
* Heat Shield Wrap
* Customize Header . Extractor
* Customize Exhaust Piping
* HKS High Flow Muffler
* D2 Suspension (2 Way with Pillow Mount)
* Rear Anti Roll Var Upgrade, Ultra Racing 19mm
* Skimming & Balancing of Flywheel 1.48kg reduce
* Exedy Clutch Set
* DC5 Final Drive 4.7
* HKS VPro Tuning
* Camcon Tuning "

He also has a dyno sheet on there. Hope this helps a bit.

Shimian
04-12-2007, 06:35 PM
lol, after spending money on all those mods, thats probably equivalent to another civic vti :thumbsup:

aaronng
04-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Check this guys website out. He has a FD2 and has probably done more mods to the engine than anyone on this forum with a FD has. I also think hes a member on ozhonda so he could definately help you out with performance parts. Downside is, he is not located in Aus, so hence the availability of local parts is limited.

An FD2 doesn't have the R18A engine. The threadstarter is limited by the engine design.

NewCivicOwner
04-12-2007, 06:59 PM
For the R18A, you won't gain much power from bolt on mods. You can't even change the header. Changing to a pod filter can cause a CEL to come on. Forced induction is the way to go, but there isn't a full ECU available for the R18A yet. Since you can't change the headers easily, there isn't an easy header swap to run the turbo.

so for now, i cant really do much to boost performance until more parts are released for the R18A?

aaronng
04-12-2007, 08:23 PM
so for now, i cant really do much to boost performance until more parts are released for the R18A?

For now, you can do intake and exhaust. There should be a few aftermarket ECUs out there that can manage the R18A for turbo applications, but they are not cheap.

NewCivicOwner
04-12-2007, 08:31 PM
For now, you can do intake and exhaust. There should be a few aftermarket ECUs out there that can manage the R18A for turbo applications, but they are not cheap.

Thankyou very much man, i really appreciate all the hints from you all. Just one last thing, you wouldnt have any names of places i can go to find out prices would u? Like my best idea would be somewhere like AutObarn lol , so any ideas would be much appreciated again :)

Thx

Luke

Shimian
04-12-2007, 08:46 PM
lol autobarn. autobarn is only good for getting car care products, certain accessories (e.g. neons), and sometimes they have specials on audio products. I wouldnt recommend getting an exhaust system from there. Not sure about their intake system.

For a Civic FD, i myself have one too, you can have a look at getting a mugen muffler or the Fujitsubo catback system. If you want to customize an exhaust, go for REMUS or MAGNAFLOW. For cheaper alternative, go XFORCE. But those ones require cutting and welding. There are other brands out there, but thats what i recommend.
For intakes, not sure as i havent looked into them. I only bought myself a K&N air filter. Waiting for the Mugen airbox to drop in price and maybe ill consider. But its unlikely it will :(

NewCivicOwner
04-12-2007, 08:49 PM
lol autobarn. autobarn is only good for getting car care products, certain accessories (e.g. neons), and sometimes they have specials on audio products. I wouldnt recommend getting an exhaust system from there. Not sure about their intake system.

For a Civic FD, i myself have one too, you can have a look at getting a mugen muffler or the Fujitsubo catback system. If you want to customize an exhaust, go for REMUS or MAGNAFLOW. For cheaper alternative, go XFORCE. But those ones require cutting and welding. There are other brands out there, but thats what i recommend.
For intakes, not sure as i havent looked into them. I only bought myself a K&N air filter. Waiting for the Mugen airbox to drop in price and maybe ill consider. But its unlikely it will :(

Heheh thx a lot :), ill have good look into it all see if i can find a good exhaust place in SA :).

NewCivicOwner
04-12-2007, 09:43 PM
This might be a stupid questions but couldnt i just get the ECU remapped?

aaronng
04-12-2007, 10:05 PM
This might be a stupid questions but couldnt i just get the ECU remapped?

Not if no one has done the research on remapping an R18A ECU.

NewCivicOwner
04-12-2007, 11:18 PM
And i take it no1 has hehe, ah well worth a punt

aaronng
04-12-2007, 11:31 PM
And i take it no1 has hehe, ah well worth a punt
Remapping, or reflashing means that they have to decipher the map image itself. They don't know what each bit controls, so it will take a while to do so. It's not impossible as Hondata sells reflashes for the K series. But they might not do an R series as it is an economy engine, not a performance engine.

NewCivicOwner
05-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Remapping, or reflashing means that they have to decipher the map image itself. They don't know what each bit controls, so it will take a while to do so. It's not impossible as Hondata sells reflashes for the K series. But they might not do an R series as it is an economy engine, not a performance engine.

Ah ok, i know that the R series is an economy engine its just i love my Civic so much and i wanted to get opinions on wat i was able to do to it and wat im not able to hehe. O and thx very much for explaining that aaronng :)

gumbii
05-12-2007, 09:55 AM
join the queue and pray that the fd2r comes either offically thru Honda or through importers to AUS.

IMO save your cash and wait a while, hopefully in a year or so someone developes a bolt on for the r18a. (the guys in the US are crying for this over there but nothing is available)

denot
05-12-2007, 10:31 AM

aarong, does Hondata has ECU management for K20 on the sports (i believe its called K20A3?)

aaronng
05-12-2007, 10:49 AM
aarong, does Hondata has ECU management for K20 on the sports (i believe its called K20A3?)

They are supposed to release a Kpro which supports electronic throttle. We are still waiting.......

dmx
05-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Ah ok, i know that the R series is an economy engine its just i love my Civic so much and i wanted to get opinions on wat i was able to do to it and wat im not able to hehe. O and thx very much for explaining that aaronng :)
The this moment only UNICHIP version Q, 32 bit available, mostly we use, for upgrading R18 engine. Available in Singapore, around S$1000 not include installation. but note, this unichip need to installed by "smart" tuner.if not, sometimes ur engine will suddenly stop.
average increasing power around 17 HP
or UNICHIP ver Q plus with extra features for monitor the real time Water temp/oil temp/oil press/ etc but need extra sensor for that.
try this link (but he also installed other mods)
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62389
unichip
http://www.dastek.eu/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=51&Itemid=53
R18 engine
http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R18A/index.html
as a references
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q237/renton79/Camcon/FD1.jpg
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7272/dynapacktcf12jj2.jpg

Bob san
05-12-2007, 03:39 PM
start off with a CAI (such as fujita or injen). then get a catback (probably about 2.25 inches in diameter). This will free up the restrictive exhaust and air intake and helps your engine breath a little better :thumbsup:

but don't expect a big gain in power, honestly the power increase is almost unnoticible. but the sound is very noticible lol

also check on the american sites such as 8thcivic. They have much more info on the R18a.

My ultimate advice is to do what you wanna do to your car. You'll always get those who say 'whats the point its SOHC bla bla bla'. those ppl need to grow up. UR doing up ur car to represent yourself and not to impress others. im sure ur not expecting to win in a drag race against a GTR with a T88 turbo. :p

NewCivicOwner
05-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Thankyou very much dmx and Bob, i really apreciate it.

To bob, pretty much wat i want my car to do is make an impression, i knew when i was given my civic that it would not be an absolute road beast. The car looks sexy, so i might as well use that as well so im going to look at the pricing on different kits and rims etc. Also if u say that getting a new CAI and catback will make my ride sound hot, ill trust u :P so ill look into those as well....

I live in adelaide though....gotta find somewhere i can do it lol

Shimian
05-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Most of the parts for our FD are from overseas. Look at Taiwan, Singaporean and Malaysian websites.
- Ebay sells a few minor things like badges, oil caps etc.
- Bodykit you can either buy from Honda (modulo) or from traders here (Mugen).
- Exhaust you can pretty much get anywhere but if you want MUGEN or FUJITSUBO, best ask traders here as these parts are made for our FD (plug and play)
- CAIs/SRIs either from ebay or overseas websites (USA mostly)
- Rims i would get locally unless you want Mugen rims which cost a fortune.

Hope this helps

Bob san
05-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Thankyou very much dmx and Bob, i really apreciate it.

To bob, pretty much wat i want my car to do is make an impression, i knew when i was given my civic that it would not be an absolute road beast. The car looks sexy, so i might as well use that as well so im going to look at the pricing on different kits and rims etc. Also if u say that getting a new CAI and catback will make my ride sound hot, ill trust u :P so ill look into those as well....

I live in adelaide though....gotta find somewhere i can do it lol

damn i was gona say if u lived in melb i'll let u hear it lol

good luck with your future mods :thumbsup:

NewCivicOwner
05-12-2007, 09:37 PM

lol if im ever in melbourne ill look u up :P

Most of the parts for our FD are from overseas. Look at Taiwan, Singaporean and Malaysian websites.
- Ebay sells a few minor things like badges, oil caps etc.
- Bodykit you can either buy from Honda (modulo) or from traders here (Mugen).
- Exhaust you can pretty much get anywhere but if you want MUGEN or FUJITSUBO, best ask traders here as these parts are made for our FD (plug and play)
- CAIs/SRIs either from ebay or overseas websites (USA mostly)
- Rims i would get locally unless you want Mugen rims which cost a fortune.

Hope this helps

Helps a heap :) thx v v much!

Shimian
05-12-2007, 09:44 PM

Did you install a CAI? How much louder is the sound?

Shimian
06-12-2007, 07:43 AM
ahh. i drive an auto so im usually around 2-4k rpm. I hit 5-6 when i rip down the freeway. Maybe no good for me. Maybe what ill do is remove the resonator and keep the airbox stock with my K&N filter. Maybe itll give me a slighly more aggresive sound

minix33
04-01-2008, 07:15 AM
The car looks sexy, so i might as well use that as well so im going to look at the pricing on different kits and rims etc. Also if u say that getting a new CAI and catback will make my ride sound hot, ill trust u :P so ill look into those as well....
l

if you are getting CAI i would suggest K&N.
if you re going for sound, unless your car is manual i wouldn't suggest trying to make it too loud since auto's have that laggy sound to it.
from my experience of the vti's..
i personally would get suspension done first [sways and coilovers] since i don't quite like the handling
however, if you are more show than go, getting rim's would be the first thing i'd get. [i would get Volks CE28's just cuz im a rays whore =p. but there are cheaper alternatives.]
if you decide to get a wing, get a GT wing instead of a mugen wing like every other VTI owner =p

Shimian
04-01-2008, 07:22 AM
I probably wont get a CAI, just remove resonator and maybe do a small mod with running a pipe to the front. Im saving for my rims and coilovers atm. Its not cheap :thumbdwn:. I find the GT Wing the ugliest thing on earth. Just doesnt suite the car IMO. Mugen wing looks more class even thou its common. Im from Melb and so far ive seen 2 FDs with a mugen wing, 1 my friend and 1 a white FD

minix33
04-01-2008, 07:42 AM
I probably wont get a CAI, just remove resonator and maybe do a small mod with running a pipe to the front. Im saving for my rims and coilovers atm. Its not cheap :thumbdwn:. I find the GT Wing the ugliest thing on earth. Just doesnt suite the car IMO. Mugen wing looks more class even thou its common. Im from Melb and so far ive seen 2 FDs with a mugen wing, 1 my friend and 1 a white FD

to be honest i dont like the look of the VTI much to begin with
i prefer GT wings over mugen wings anyday however i do agree on the VTi it matches the curve of the car well.
get coilovers first or at least sway bars if you are short of cash.

Shimian
04-01-2008, 07:57 AM
i already have a strut bar and still deciding whether to get ARB. Im gonna go for the kill with the rims/tyre/coilover at the same time once i have saved up the desired amount. My current project is to install my eagle eyes with HID. Then an exhaust system afterwards.

minix33
04-01-2008, 08:03 AM
what rims/tyres/coilovers do you want?
HID's are so damn annoying if they are too bright ==''

Shimian
04-01-2008, 06:09 PM
what rims/tyres/coilovers do you want?
HID's are so damn annoying if they are too bright ==''

http://www.tenzoracingsports.com/roadwheels/dc6v2/index.html
18" Charcoal Grey

Not sure about coilovers. Havent really looked into it but want some decent ones.

HID should be ok with my new eagle eyes installed. Atleast it wont shine all over the place. More projected

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/Shimian8/BlackHousingEE.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/Shimian8/dscn2120wl4.jpg

minix33
04-01-2008, 10:22 PM
those rims arent too bad.. what tyres are you gonna run?
coilovers i would suggest tein or buddyclubs
if you arent planning to track the car much, the tein super streets are ok.. but if you dont want to spend that much then buddyclubs arent too bad
the eagle eyes look good.
alot better than any other headlamp covers that ive seen.

Shimian
04-01-2008, 11:00 PM
those rims arent too bad.. what tyres are you gonna run?
coilovers i would suggest tein or buddyclubs
if you arent planning to track the car much, the tein super streets are ok.. but if you dont want to spend that much then buddyclubs arent too bad
the eagle eyes look good.
alot better than any other headlamp covers that ive seen.

At the moment im saving for those. Not sure what tyres to get but looking at around $400 a tyre. Rims looking to spend about $350 a piece. So all up around $3000 on tyres and rims. Preferrably around $2500
Coilovers as i said havent really looked into it. So maybe around $1000-$1500 if its possible to get a decent set with that amount.
Headlamp covers? What headlamp overs are you referring to for our FD?

markCivicVti
04-01-2008, 11:03 PM
For coilovers don't go overkill if it's not for track. D2s or G4s (basically same damn thing) will do the trick. D2s may not be selling in oz anymore... but i got quoted 1.4k for g4s installed.

minix33
04-01-2008, 11:20 PM
like i said if you dont track then dont bother to spend too much on coilovers.
and that also means you dont need to get tyres that are too good, try the potenza range. they aren't bad and aren't too expensive
ive seen chrome headlamp covers for FD's. but i prefer the eagle eyes you have

denot
05-01-2008, 07:19 PM
HID should be ok with my new eagle eyes installed. Atleast it wont shine all over the place. More projected

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/Shimian8/BlackHousingEE.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/Shimian8/dscn2120wl4.jpg

hey shimian... so you've installed the new Angel Eyes eh? can I see the pic of the whole car with it?

thanks!

Shimian
05-01-2008, 10:47 PM
havent installed it yet. Hopefully in a few weeks time. So many things to do atm. Also searching for some HIDs to go with it. Maybe will go with GT HIDs. I will definitely post up pics once ive installed it. I may have a spare set to sell. Lookout in FS thread