PDA

View Full Version : wiring up angel eyes

steve88
07-12-2007, 02:51 PM
did a search couldnt find anything on this.
anyone know if theres any sort of special wiring required to put angel eyes on an EK civic? or is it just plug and play. i hear the globes dont last very long and are hard to replace

Bludger
07-12-2007, 02:55 PM
i'm not going to flame you cos you posted in the n00b section, but what you're asking is pretty sparse.

more detailed or more specific questions and pics would help us greatly to help you

Sydsyd
07-12-2007, 02:59 PM
angel eyes are just plug and play...and it is pretty hard to change the LED halos but not impossible...mine went out after 1.5 years use (mainly nights too)...

Bludger
07-12-2007, 03:02 PM
doesn't angel eyes come with separate bulbs for high and low beam?

Stock ek lights look like its a h4, i think wiring it up would be a little more complicated than just plug n play.

steve88
07-12-2007, 03:06 PM
sorry for being sparse, but please dnt-cry (ha ha ha, you have permmission to flame me now)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-HONDA-CIVIC-ANGEL-EYES-PROJECTOR-HEAD-LIGHTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ004QQi temZ140186668359QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

lets say i buy that (black, no rice). is it basically plug and play?

XP02ED
07-12-2007, 03:15 PM
No its not plug and play

you need to cut your stock plugs and rewire the parker lights.. depend on the headlights, u might need to do the same for low/hi beam..

Suggest u use fuses etc between..

Bludger
07-12-2007, 03:17 PM
here is the thing
stock ek is h4 i think

H4, is a single bulb setup so therefore, when low beam is on, high beam is off and when high beam is on, low beam is off.

the lights you will buy/bought are a 2 bulb setup.
low and high beam separate.
generally on 2 bulb setups, when you turn on the high beam, your low beam will still be on. so looking from the front, you will see 4 lights in total on.

if you just "PLUG & PLAY" so to speak, you will have the low beam switch off when you turn on your high beams, imo, it'll look a lil funni and awkward.

If it were my car, i would put extra fuses and extra wiring in to cater for this different setup

its just how dodgy you want to go

steve88
07-12-2007, 03:19 PM
ok im pretty good with soldering, you guys suggest what amp fuse ? and like a junction box to put the fuses in so it doesnt get wet?

Bludger
07-12-2007, 03:21 PM
check in the fuse area what amperage fuses they use for low beam and high beam.

steve88
07-12-2007, 03:25 PM
ok junction box, fuses, + wiring. ill prob just find some same thickness (mm) wiring as per that my current headlights use. now all this story i hear of ppl usign relays and stuff in headlights so it doesnt burn out the wiring is that bullshit?

XP02ED
07-12-2007, 03:33 PM
it aint bs but i havent seen it happen..

no need to relay, but that depends on the line.. You could just run the stock line.. take the plugs off.. then solder a fuse then connect the angel eyese..

if u wna do a dodgy.. just gate electric tape and tape the whole wire and fuse .. and just try put it sumwhere hidden, or cable tie it..

Bludger
07-12-2007, 03:34 PM
what power source do you want to use to hook up the new lights?

the power from the oem headlight wires or running new wires from the battery?

Bludger
07-12-2007, 03:38 PM
it aint bs but i havent seen it happen..

no need to relay, but that depends on the line.. You could just run the stock line.. take the plugs off.. then solder a fuse then connect the angel eyese..

if u wna do a dodgy.. just gate electric tape and tape the whole wire and fuse .. and just try put it sumwhere hidden, or cable tie it..

you're not understanding, the stock wires don't cater for his setup if he wants to do it properly, he will need to run more wires if he wants to do it properly

XP02ED
07-12-2007, 03:39 PM
easier to use power source from the existing line.. if ur gna go from batterry.. ur gna have to require the whole line to your dash..

YES... but it depends on how his gna set it up..

IE.. easiest method is..

you will have 4 wires from your angel eyes for parker.. stock has 2.. + and -..

you can run 2 + to the fuse and have the + from stock wiring..

then run the 2 - to another fuse with the stock - ...

Bludger
07-12-2007, 03:41 PM
easier to use power source from the existing line.. if ur gna go from batterry.. ur gna have to require the whole line to your dash..no you don't need to run to the dash for new wires, you just use the stock high and low beam wires as a signal and run through a relay.

doing it this way will be the best way, garanteed

Bludger
07-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I suggest you wire it up using 2 30amp relays.

run some wires from the battery to the positive pin of the relay (pin 30)
make sure you have it fused too.

ground pin 85

1st relay, hook up the original headlight low beam wire to pin 86

2nd relay, same, but high beam, pin 86

pin 87, goes to your new bulbs

this explanation is pretty sparse in itself, but i'm pretty busy now, thats all i can muster up

steve88
07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
this is some heavy shit.

"no you don't need to run to the dash for new wires, you just use the stock high and low beam wires as a signal and run through a relay."

what do you mean by that can u elaborate?? once you got free time

Bludger
07-12-2007, 04:15 PM
this is some heavy shit.

"no you don't need to run to the dash for new wires, you just use the stock high and low beam wires as a signal and run through a relay."

what do you mean by that can u elaborate?? once you got free time

relays have 4 pins

pin 30 - power in
pin 85 - ground
pin 86 - signal
pin 87 - output

when you turn your headlight switch on, you get power going to the headlights. cut this wire b4 the old bulb and connect it to pin 86, this will act as a signal to tell the relay to route power from the battery to your new lights in the angels.

run power from the battery to pin 30, make sure you have a suitable fuse in between the relay and the battery.

run pin 85 to a nice solid negative ground.

Pin 87 will run directly to your new bulbs in the angel eyes.

times this by 2, one relay for low beam and one for high beam.

when you flip the switch to turn on your headlights, the relay will route power from your battery to your new angels

steve88
07-12-2007, 04:18 PM
yep i getcha its like wiring up a deck. from pin 30 to battery what kinda guage cable we talking about?

Bludger
07-12-2007, 06:11 PM
depends what sort of globes you wanna run.

this way will allow you to run higher power globes than stock.

my rule of thumb is to overkill

not sure, what guage can handle what amperage.

steve88
07-12-2007, 07:42 PM
well itd be running the h1 globes i supposeif you guys are saying thats what globes that ebay link i gave you. you reckon 8 guage will do?

you cant actually buy the projector and H1 lights on its own can you? im planning to gut these angel eyes once im bored of them and retro out my EK1 head lights

OMG.JAI xD
07-12-2007, 10:29 PM
ehhh..

main beam n high beam is plug n play ..

parkers come with 2 sets of positives n 2 sets of negatives ..

and the blinkers use the OEM socket.

i just sliced off the parker plugs and wired the power in parallel and had 2 seperate grounds..(for one light .. total of 4 grounds for both)
it works fine, theres really no need for relays n all that mumbo jumbo :/

OEM parkers dont take much amperes anyway, it should already be regulated.

lol i didnt even solder mine :/
and my passenger side's wiring is so stuffed .. it comes so close to the power steering pump..

but oh well, goodluck anyway, which ever way you want to do it =]

in the end .. as long as it works .. its coolio :D

Bludger
08-12-2007, 07:29 AM
ehhh..

i just sliced off the parker plugs and wired the power in parallel and had 2 seperate grounds..(for one light .. total of 4 grounds for both)

and my passenger side's wiring is so stuffed .. it comes so close to the power steering pump..

in the end .. as long as it works .. its coolio :Devery step you said sounds so dodgy

XP02ED
08-12-2007, 09:54 AM
ehhh..

i did the same thing.. but soldered it..

OMG.JAI xD
08-12-2007, 10:57 AM
every step you said sounds so dodgy

lol of course man..

but it works :D

steve88
13-12-2007, 09:50 PM
do you guys know if one angel eye decides to get lazy, is that the globe running low?
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l48/kingy_woo/angeleyes.jpg
easy fix?

XP02ED
14-12-2007, 07:41 AM
check the output on power on the line with a tester.. compare to the right handed side...

if its weak then you gta look at the problem.. ie another item feeding of the line or something..

how did u wire it?

steve88
14-12-2007, 09:02 AM
im buying some 99-00 angel eyes off someone cheap cause one angel eye is a bit lazy and im gonna butcher it for parts (cause mines a 96-98 civic) to retrofit my headlights. so im just trying to sus out exactly how to fix it :)

Bludger
14-12-2007, 09:56 AM
if its weak then you gta look at the problem.. ie another item feeding of the i wouldn't think thats the problem.

even if something else is running off it, it wouldn't go dimmer.

steve88
14-12-2007, 10:45 AM
can i simply replace the globe? they hard to source?

ucme
14-12-2007, 11:43 AM
here is the thing
stock ek is h4 i think

H4, is a single bulb setup so therefore, when low beam is on, high beam is off and when high beam is on, low beam is off.

sory to hijack but i have double bulb setup where i have a different globe for high and low beam. ive recently converted them to single so when high beam is on they're both on. is there any harm in this?? i didnt think there was but your post worried me :p

Bludger
14-12-2007, 11:46 AM
sory to hijack but i have double bulb setup where i have a different globe for high and low beam. ive recently converted them to single so when high beam is on they're both on. is there any harm in this?? i didnt think there was but your post worried me :pwhat single bulb is it?

sinlge H4 bulb, i wouldn't recommend doing this cos if both are on, its going to be ****en hot inside the buld and could/may damage things.

Bludger
14-12-2007, 11:47 AM
can i simply replace the globe? they hard to source?lol

what bulb is it?

steve88
14-12-2007, 03:03 PM
i wouldnt know i have never seen an angel eyes in my life. is it 2 bulbs? is it 1 bulb
i dotn even know what powers the projector or lights up the angel eye :)

XP02ED
14-12-2007, 03:06 PM
ERR WTF. what globes.. angel eyes dont use bulbs.. they are LED.. and if its broken.. or dimm.. and it aint the power.. u need to replace it.. BIG JOB.. rather buy another set

steve88
14-12-2007, 03:09 PM
shit you serious. i thought the rings just had a light source behind them that lit them up. it wouldnt be such a big job for me because im actually pulling apart the headlights, but i wouldnt know where to start to find the rings

XP02ED
14-12-2007, 03:38 PM
it isnt like the ones u buy from supercheap etc..

they dont use a LED which goes round the ring, its an actual circle LED... BUT im comparing this to my previous angel eyes..

http://xposed.au.com/photos/resized/18/1177390934_PB260208.JPG

I had fog lights which were the LED ur referring too.. and the US imported angel eyes.. which was a LED ring..

steve88
14-12-2007, 11:24 PM
same shit as long as its hte same size like i care. what power source do they run, would it comes with appropriate resistors?

XP02ED
15-12-2007, 11:04 AM
they ran of the existing line, no fuse, no relay... the fog lights ran of the battery,, wiring had the fuse for it already

steve88
15-12-2007, 03:49 PM
if i can get some of those angel eye replacements at supercheap for cheap then its prob worth getting hte head lights

XP02ED
16-12-2007, 01:18 PM
u'll have to replace all the LED's on the existing setup as it will differ on how it lights up

steve88
17-12-2007, 12:08 PM
i dont mind doing that but are these angel eye LED's wire up the same way as existing ones?

tiksie
11-01-2008, 04:44 PM
ehhh..

What do I do with the 4 wires ? 2 black and 2 red ?

SaBReT00tH
12-01-2008, 02:50 AM
hey people,
just wondering with ebay angel eyes with projectors, they're basically retrofitted halogen housing right?

Does the beam pattern still get bent incorrectly because the housing was made for halogen, even if there is a projector lens there? or does the projector lens somehow fix this up?

markoJEK1
12-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Hey guys, I have the ebay item projectors (halo angel eyes), Sabretooth The beam is normal and I havent had any problems with it, it is a true projector light and not a mock well the item that I got that is,

and for the wiring part, If anyone is interested I can take photos for you just pm me, I didnt wire mine up myself, I got an auto electrician to do it, I am about to replace the projects with OEM headlights once again also, so If you want to see the wiring let me know soon before I take them out.

tiksie
12-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Do you have to take the front bar off to fit the angel lights ?

XP02ED
13-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Do you have to take the front bar off to fit the angel lights ?

YES u do

dahon
19-01-2008, 05:53 PM
hey guys,

ive fitted projectors to my ek civic and yes u gotta rewire your parks, i got a double contact socket for my signals for my park lights -5w for park 20w-ish for signals.
decided against angel eyes as ive heard they burn out and all that. Just got reflector rings and they seem fine. looks great.

what i want to know is for a 4 bulb setup, how do i get the wires set up for high beam turn on without the low beam bulb turning off - when the high beam switch is triggered to permanent on - not just temp (ie when you pull the lights towards you it clicks). even though i dont really use the highs that much anyways it still bugs me a little..

steve88
27-02-2008, 08:22 PM
What do I do with the 4 wires ? 2 black and 2 red ?

can anyone help me out here?

Bludger
27-02-2008, 09:30 PM
hey guys,

ive fitted projectors to my ek civic and yes u gotta rewire your parks, i got a double contact socket for my signals for my park lights -5w for park 20w-ish for signals.
decided against angel eyes as ive heard they burn out and all that. Just got reflector rings and they seem fine. looks great.

what i want to know is for a 4 bulb setup, how do i get the wires set up for high beam turn on without the low beam bulb turning off - when the high beam switch is triggered to permanent on - not just temp (ie when you pull the lights towards you it clicks). even though i dont really use the highs that much anyways it still bugs me a little..use a relays

thats what i've been saying all along in this thread

Bludger
27-02-2008, 09:31 PM
What do I do with the 4 wires ? 2 black and 2 red ?hook them up

steve88
27-02-2008, 09:52 PM
on passenger side, the parker has 1 red 1 black, i hooked up the passenger side angel eyes parker and it works perfectly on dimmers/low beam/high beam

on drivers side, parker has 2 red 1 black, i hooked up drivers side angel eyes parker with the 2 reds on the car twisted together and black on its own on the black with the angel eyes. now dimmers works fine, but high beam/low beam is switched!!! when on high beam the passenger side is on high beam (correct) and drivers side is on low beam

steve88
27-02-2008, 10:07 PM
here is some clarification

passenger side:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/casmira/IMG_2046.jpg

works perfectly

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/casmira/IMG_2047.jpg
[drivers side]
this is the difference between passenger side and drivers side, parker has 3 cords coming out, i wired it up same anyway but low beam/high beam is swapped!!

Bludger
27-02-2008, 10:47 PM
why don't you use a multimeter or 12v tester light and test what wires give an output when each switch is turned on (parker, low beam, high beam)

try hooking up the right side with one red wire only, see what happens and then try the other red wire and see what happens

these sort of problems require a trial and error type approach to fix

very hard to diagnose your problem over the net

steve88
27-02-2008, 11:02 PM
nevermind solved it lol, you know the harness that attaches to each globe? it was swapped on the drivers side!! stupid me.

i still find it strange there is 3 wires for parkers on drivers side and only 2 on passenger, doesn';t matter i guess

curiously, you cant have low or high beam on with parkers can you? it'd look much more wicked if parkers where always on

Bludger
27-02-2008, 11:04 PM
nevermind solved it lol, you know the harness that attaches to each globe? it was swapped on the drivers side!! stupid me.

i still find it strange there is 3 wires for parkers on drivers side and only 2 on passenger, doesn';t matter i guess

curiously, you cant have low or high beam on with parkers can you? it'd look much more wicked if parkers where always on

you can,

USE RELAYS!!!!!!!!!

steve88
27-02-2008, 11:11 PM
the fact that i dont know what a relay is probably a good idea that i dont use one

perhaps hand it over to my electrical engineer of a brother or an auto electrician for that relay bit =D

Bludger
27-02-2008, 11:19 PM
http://www.narva.com.au/Switches_Relays_1.html

use this page as a starting reference

this is good too

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf

steve88
27-02-2008, 11:26 PM
ill read it while at work, i got some electrical experience but mainly wiring up my sound system, thx

Bludger
27-02-2008, 11:34 PM
basically, you tap the wires so that when the low beam or high beam lights go on, you still got other lights that you want on and make them stay on

sorry, hard to describe

eg, oem = 2 bulb design low beam & high beam in one

when high beam goes on, low beam goes off.....

now you want to use your 4 bulb angel eyes or whatever rice shit you bought and make it work the way you want it, which is to have all 4 bulbs on when you turn on the high beam.

use a relay to tap into the high beam wires as a signal, then get the relay to power the low beams when the high beams are on

steve88
28-02-2008, 12:23 AM
i just finished wiring it up, its like my angel eyes already had a relay. check this out:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/casmira/IMG_2058.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/casmira/CopyofIMG_2060.jpg

there is a god <3

Bludger
28-02-2008, 12:25 AM
high beam?

steve88
28-02-2008, 12:36 AM
not terribly clear cause it was so damn bright (hence the word high beam) but it still lit up the rings! woo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/casmira/IMG_2062.jpg

Bludger
28-02-2008, 01:34 AM
wire up so that low beams are on also

steve88
28-02-2008, 09:44 AM
wouldnmt have a clue on how to do that, wait wait ... relay ? =D

XP02ED
28-02-2008, 10:44 AM
wire up so that low beams are on also

most angel eyes when doing that will blow the globe

Bludger
28-02-2008, 11:09 AM
most angel eyes when doing that will blow the globewell there must be a problem

bulbs don't just blow

rewire it correctly

markoJEK1
28-02-2008, 01:09 PM
If they were made to have high and low beam on at the same time they would come from the manufactuer already like that, and IMO if both are on, its way to bright for the on coming traffic.

rayb3na_
28-02-2008, 01:17 PM
agreed with marko i have angels too had to get autojoy to rewire them though as due to the heat in the engine pay it kinda melted my original wiring. jsut a heads up.

steve88
28-02-2008, 04:11 PM
alright ill cable tie the wiring away from the pumps/head just incase it ****s up wiring

Bludger
28-02-2008, 08:19 PM
If they were made to have high and low beam on at the same time they would come from the manufactuer already like that, and IMO if both are on, its way to bright for the on coming traffic.incorrect

the reason why only high or low is on at once and not at the same time is because the original power source comes from the h4 bulb wiring....
h4 bulbs only have either low or high on, not at once......

angel eye makers wouldn't give a stuff about this cos they are assuming that you would get them professionally rewired...

and both lights won't be too bright for oncoming traffic cos you shouldn't have your high beams on with oncoming traffic anyways .....