PDA

View Full Version : problem?: Comptech icebox and k&n panel filter

adammet04
07-12-2007, 06:00 PM
as per the title,

not sure if i have an issue or not, but after replacing my panel filter with a k&n one, induction noise has increased..however there is a little more to the story

As i was undoing the screws on the icebox to replace the filter, one of the spacer (a silver sleeve type thing which the screws sit in) drops into the engine bay somewhere, i try looking for it but to no avail.

I went as far as

Removing battery from car
Removing bottom of icebox intake from car.

I was very careful to reattach the icebox firmly and replace al screws etc i had removed..but i couldn't find the spacer sleeve thingy for the ince box, the screw went in anyway, but is now a little tighter on than the others because of no spacer.

im going to hardware store tommorrow to get ome washers to provide some adequate spacing so that the it sits correctly again,

however after driving it today for around 5 minutes, i noticed the induction noise and the engine noise to be louder..

could this just be from the filter?

The other thing is that i noticed that there was nothing to fix/fasten the tube of the intake to the other tube that is there that points thrgh to the fog light / head of the car. i could see one of those brace on the bottom tube but not if that should be going around the tube i connected it to..

i unfortunately have to go out for a couple of hours now, but will check back and take pictures tommorrow hopefully to illustrate my concern better.

any initial feedback would be much appreciated !!!

Ads

:)

Blitzen
07-12-2007, 06:30 PM
hey man

I got my K&N panel air filter fittted when I got the Euro serviced - slight sound difference - louder, but not much after a while, it's also psychological

I guess what happened to you during installation wouldn't effect things that much, good luck finding the screw

J-TODA
08-12-2007, 02:42 AM
as per the title,

The other thing is that i noticed that there was nothing to fix/fasten the tube of the intake to the other tube that is there that points thrgh to the fog light / head of the car. i could see one of those brace on the bottom tube but not if that should be going around the tube i connected it to..

i unfortunately have to go out for a couple of hours now, but will check back and take pictures tommorrow hopefully to illustrate my concern better.

any initial feedback would be much appreciated !!!

Ads

:)

ummm basically wat i did is get one of those clamp things( not sure of correct name) and basicaly connected both ends of the piping together...and secured it with the clamp..

however be careful not to tighten the clamp too much...as the pressure maybe too much for the plastic cyclinder piping to withstand...and cause cracking etc etc

yfin
08-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Hi adam - yes you need a washer for that missing spacer.

The noise that you are hearing is probably because the K&N filter does not seal properly in the Comptech Icebox lid. If you hold the Comptech icebox lid in your hand with the K&N inside it - you can see that the edges of the K&N filter do not go to all the corners (the Icebox filter is not such a great fit either). This allows unfiltered air to be sucked in to the lid from the engine bay (and the associated noise). Try this - I am sure you will see it doesn't fit properly.

If you want to use the K&N, it is best to seal the lid of the icebox. There are a couple of threads on the USA forums about people who have glued down weatherstrips to the lid. That is one option.

The other option is to create a plastic shield that follows the inside of the lid. That is what I did. My stencil was made by this guy when I purchased the ITG filter. He used windscreen glue to fix the shield to the Comptech lid. He charged me $30 to do this. This is a better option than weatherstrips as there is a small risk that the strips could come loose.

http://www.fuelsaver.com.au/contact.php

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25198&highlight=icebox+seal

I found an old post of mine on the US forum about how to make the plastic stencil

If you purchase a semi-thick plastic bread board (yes the ones used in kitchens - say 1cm thick) you can trace the inside of the icebox lid onto the stencil. Then use a jigsaw and cut out the stencil (again with a frame that looks like the weatherstrips - about 1cm all the way around). The installer used windscreen sealant to glue the stencil to the icebox lid. Simple really and you will have a perfect seal regardless of filter used.

This is what the weather stripping looks like. My shield looks the same except it is 1cm thick plastic and it is fixed solid in one piece. If you go with the weatherstrips - use one continuous piece.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7697/iceboxlidstrip10kxs9.jpg

tony1234
08-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi adam - yes you need a washer for that missing spacer.

The noise that you are hearing is probably because the K&N filter does not seal properly in the Comptech Icebox lid. If you hold the Comptech icebox lid in your hand with the K&N inside it - you can see that the edges of the K&N filter do not go to all the corners (the Icebox filter is not such a great fit either). This allows unfiltered air to be sucked in to the lid from the engine bay (and the associated noise). Try this - I am sure you will see it doesn't fit properly.

If you want to use the K&N, it is best to seal the lid of the icebox. There are a couple of threads on the USA forums about people who have glued down weatherstrips to the lid. That is one option.

The other option is to create a plastic shield that follows the inside of the lid. That is what I did. My stencil was made by this guy when I purchased the ITG filter. He used windscreen glue to fix the shield to the Comptech lid. He charged me $30 to do this. This is a better option than weatherstrips as there is a small risk that the strips could come loose.

http://www.fuelsaver.com.au/contact.php

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25198&highlight=icebox+seal

I found an old post of mine on the US forum about how to make the plastic stencil

If you purchase a semi-thick plastic bread board (yes the ones used in kitchens - say 1cm thick) you can trace the inside of the icebox lid onto the stencil. Then use a jigsaw and cut out the stencil (again with a frame that looks like the weatherstrips - about 1cm all the way around). The installer used windscreen sealant to glue the stencil to the icebox lid. Simple really and you will have a perfect seal regardless of filter used.

This is what the weather stripping looks like. My shield looks the same except it is 1cm thick plastic and it is fixed solid in one piece. If you go with the weatherstrips - use one continuous piece.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7697/iceboxlidstrip10kxs9.jpg
Thanks for the info.I've just ordered an Icebox and a K&N filter.I'll post up my thoughts when i get it installed.

adammet04
08-12-2007, 08:10 AM
thanks for this...my chance of finding/using a jigsaw in jindabyne are very limited so the idea of getting a weatherstrip seal is a lot more likely for me to do.

i think for now as well i will replace the k&n with the foam filter as the seal it seemed to create is better than the k&n one..at least until i can procure the weatherstrips.... the brace thing i was talking about, is one of those clamps and i think i will get a second one and put that around the tubing to make sure it is ok.

as always thanks for the responses guys much appreciated

thanks yfin for this answer too..as well as JToda and Blitzen for their responses too..

power_of_dreams
09-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Sorry if slightly offtopic, but does anybody know the details of the stock airbox screw. They arn't just a normal screw, they are some weird ass screw-washer combo with a bit at the bottom to prevent it coming out.

aaronng
09-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Not really, it's a screw with the threads only going up to 3/4 the length of the screw, with the part closest to the head without threads.

power_of_dreams
09-12-2007, 01:58 PM
okies! so if I was to go into Bunnings or what not, what would I ask for?

aaronng
09-12-2007, 03:24 PM
okies! so if I was to go into Bunnings or what not, what would I ask for?

Bring the old screw with you. The thing about the screw is that the threaded part is of a larger diameter than the non-threaded part. If you lost the bottom washer/nut thing, just replace that with a small nut that is suitable for the screw. Use a normal glue like superglue or tarzan contact glue to hold the nut in place. All the nut does is to stop the screw from being taken out, so you don't need something strong.

Suntzu
15-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Im putting a KN panel fliter in my euro but i need a part number to order the KN panel filter..
Anyone know the part number?

aaronng
15-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Im putting a KN panel fliter in my euro but i need a part number to order the KN panel filter..
Anyone know the part number?

It is 33-2276. http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2276

Suntzu
15-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Thankyou knowledgeable one. I have noted and ordered. Great appreciated.:)

Now i need to develop a safe way of putting it in my comptech..dunno about this weather shield rubber business...

aaronng
15-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Thankyou knowledgeable one. I have noted and ordered. Great appreciated.:)

Now i need to develop a safe way of putting it in my comptech..dunno about this weather shield rubber business...

Get either foam or rubber weather stripping from Bunnings to seal the edges to prevent leakages.

tony1234
15-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Get either foam or rubber weather stripping from Bunnings to seal the edges to prevent leakages.
Get the thickest rubber strip you can get(8mm i think)and do both the top and bottom of the intake box.The strip i got needed to be cut in half,it then fitted neatly in both the top and bottom of the intake.I've had it now for 4 mths. and it's all good.:thumbsup:

Suntzu
15-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Do you glue it or is it held by clip pressure?

Do you reckon the KN is better than stock Comptech?

aaronng
15-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Do you glue it or is it held by clip pressure?

Do you reckon the KN is better than stock Comptech?

The weatherstrip should have doublesided tape on the back.

K&N is better... the stock comptech filter is a pretty cheap foam filter in my opinion.

tony1234
16-05-2008, 07:29 AM
The weatherstrip should have doublesided tape on the back.

K&N is better... the stock comptech filter is a pretty cheap foam filter in my opinion.
The strip i used had double sided tape on it.The pressure of the small bolts when you tighten the top of the intake box then holds the strips in place.I never used the foam filter that came with it so i don't know what it's like but as Aaron says it looks cheap and crappy,i don't think it'd perform any better than the stock one.

power_of_dreams
08-07-2008, 02:17 AM
bump*

would those silicon guns, like the stuff you use for windows and bathrooms etc work ok to seal up the gap?

tony1234
08-07-2008, 06:45 PM
bump*

would those silicon guns, like the stuff you use for windows and bathrooms etc work ok to seal up the gap?
How would you get it out when you want to clean it??

power_of_dreams
08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
i meant, use the silicon inside the base, then when it sets, sit the filter on top. I think the silicon can be peeled off as well.

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 08:49 PM
i meant, use the silicon inside the base, then when it sets, sit the filter on top. I think the silicon can be peeled off as well.
don't those silicone guns melt the silicone, it would prob melt the box.
just use the tape as mentioned.

Type R Positive
08-07-2008, 09:00 PM
don't those silicone guns melt the silicone, it would prob melt the box.
WTF? :confused:

Look up caulking gun. ;)

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 09:01 PM
WTF? :confused:

Look up caulking gun. ;)

hahah sorry for idiotness. haven't had much experience and don't own a silicone gun. I am guessing it just compresses the canister and silicone gel gets applied to whatever.

Type R Positive
08-07-2008, 09:03 PM
hahah sorry for idiotness. haven't had much experience and don't own a silicone gun. I am guessing it just compresses the canister and silicone gel gets applied to whatever.
Yep! (you were mistaken with glue gun, btw) :)

power_of_dreams
08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
rofl not hot glue gun..

anybody else think its a valid idea? The only problem I can see is that the line of silicon wont be thick enough..

aaronng
08-07-2008, 11:24 PM
^^ Agreed. Spend the $5-7 for rubber weatherseal from Bunnings. Job done.

tony1234
09-07-2008, 10:51 AM
^^ Agreed. Spend the $5-7 for rubber weatherseal from Bunnings. Job done.
^^^+1.This is what i did.Did it 6 mths.ago.Still good.

power_of_dreams
09-07-2008, 05:44 PM
also, if you had fogs, and didn't cut the holes in the side cover, would there be any point to having an icebox? wouldn't you be better off taking out the plastic cover altogether?

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8561/84622711xj5.jpg

Crapdaz
09-07-2008, 06:13 PM
also, if you had fogs, and didn't cut the holes in the side cover, would there be any point to having an icebox? wouldn't you be better off taking out the plastic cover altogether?

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8561/84622711xj5.jpg

lol well you can try and feed the air some other way by using flexible aluminium piping to add on to feed from else where, otherwise ask yourself if you want a big hole there where everyone can see it or would you rather cut out the plastic cover?
IMHO i prefer cutting out the plastic cover as at least you have the looks with a cover rather than a hole.

power_of_dreams
09-07-2008, 06:46 PM
hole would be hardly noticeable imo.

Type R Positive
09-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Or you could drill holes in that plastic cover.

power_of_dreams
09-07-2008, 06:50 PM
wouldnt get as much "ram effect", not to mention I'd rather not destroy the cover.

aaronng
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
You don't need to cut the fog light cover. I'd leave it alone. Not much difference with the icebox.

power_of_dreams
09-07-2008, 07:33 PM
interesting if true...

aaronng
09-07-2008, 07:40 PM
The position of the plastic horn is too high above the fog light plastic cover for ram air.

revivor
26-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Sorry for an old thread.

I'm thinking of changing my stock filter to the K&N panel filter. Can I just replace it without any mods to the filter box?
Thought it was an easy remove & replace. No hassle..

hooyn
26-10-2008, 05:36 PM
yeap. just take old one out and drop the new on in. done ! :)

revivor
26-10-2008, 05:41 PM
It is 33-2276. http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2276

Will this be the exact fit?
Thx.

aaronng
26-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Will this be the exact fit?
Thx.
Yes, exact fit for the stock airbox in your Euro. :thumbsup:

Suntzu
26-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I love my Comptech IB with KN filter. I did the weather seal mod and that quieten it down. Much better than my Fujita intake as the fujita was a giant sucking drunken elephant and drove me nicking futs. Performance is the same.

revivor
26-10-2008, 08:36 PM
thx all..

tony1234
27-10-2008, 06:35 AM
I love my Comptech IB with KN filter. I did the weather seal mod and that quieten it down. Much better than my Fujita intake as the fujita was a giant sucking drunken elephant and drove me nicking futs. Performance is the same.
Me too.IMO best value intake on the market for the Euro.:thumbsup:

Euro858
13-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey all. Sorry to revive this thread.
Attempted the weather seal mod today for my icebox. Bought 9.5mm weather seal from clark rubber and as previous diagrams show..aligned the lid of the icebox with this seal and put in the K&N.

Not happy with the outcomes... I've used the CT engineering filter for 2 weeks now and the car was feeling perfect but when I drove today with the k&n it was slightly sluggish and louder than usual. I pushed it hard to fully test it out and in 2nd gear I noticed it would lose power....sucks!

I was worried about why it was louder than the CT filter so I reopened it just now and as I was pulling out the KN the bloody weather seals werent solid to the lid!!

I've taken out the K&N and put the CT filter and the car feels great again. I'm glad I trusted my instinct or who knows what could of happened to my seal!!

Any had same experiences between K&N and CT Filter? I know people have said k&n is better and more quiet but not by my experience

aaronng
13-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Redo the seal.

Euro858
13-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Redo the seal.

I don't think it should be easily coming off if its new..... I won't bother now...Don't want the risk of it sucking into the engine. I prefer the CT filter now that I've tested both.

tony1234
13-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Redo the seal.
Yeah,just redo it.You mustn't have stuck the weather seal properly to the top of the airbox and or the bottom part.i've done it and it worked 1st. time no problems.