PDA

View Full Version : Noise Test Register - Department of Environment & CLimate Change

dsp26
07-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Thought this maybe of some benefit for people getting sent to the DECC (New EPA). Not including emissions coz of too many variables.

The reason you get sent for Noise/Emissions/Anti-Tampering is if at least 3 people report you OR a council/government worker reports you to DECC

TEST 1 - 07/12/07
Engine: B16A2
Induction: 2.5inch CAI + metal mesh pod
Extractors: 4-1 pattern, 2.5inch collector
Catalyst: High flow small body 2.5inch in/out
Pipe: 2.5inch Mandrel
Mid-Muffling: x1 Hotdog Resonator 18inch
Muffler: JUN BL, 2.5inch inlet oval body Y Flow
----------------------
5700rpm dB: 98dB
Off-Throttle peak: 101dB

TEST 2 - 08/12/07
Equipment: all the above:
Change: OEM EG Muffler
----------------------
5700rpm dB: 88dB
Off-Throttle peak: 89dB

Anyone else who has official noises tests, please post up your results with equipment

destrukshn
07-12-2007, 09:36 PM
so you passed?
lol

Samo
07-12-2007, 10:34 PM
:wave: i reported u !!!

lol just joking hehehe

i assume u passed?

dsp26
08-12-2007, 05:50 AM
lol no!!! u guys are slack!! legal limit is 90dB.

i'm putting my standard muffler on today and tracing the flange onto some aluminium from bunnings then cutting a 1inch hole then putting it between muffler and pipe as an additional restrictor... hopefully that works :p

Kiz_EG6
08-12-2007, 08:56 AM
lol no!!! u guys are slack!! legal limit is 90dB.

i'm putting my standard muffler on today and tracing the flange onto some aluminium from bunnings then cutting a 1inch hole then putting it between muffler and pipe as an additional restrictor... hopefully that works :p

Just use a coke can, cut it out of that, it's less obvious if they look at ur flanges... not that i'd know.

Also FYI, i got done, put out 105db @ 5700-6000rpm with JDM B16A, 4:1 stanless header, 2.5" no name hi flow cat and 2.1/4" cat back mild steel system and some generic muffler i liked.
I put my g/f's stock EG2 del sol muffler on and fell down to 88db @ 5700-6000rpm, only scraped, but it's a pass!!

dsp26
08-12-2007, 11:18 AM
^^^lol. yep just passed too with eg muffler at 88dB. they noticed the restrictor "gasket" straight up and removed it :p

Kiz_EG6
08-12-2007, 11:31 AM
^^^lol. yep just passed too with eg muffler at 88dB. they noticed the restrictor "gasket" straight up and removed it :p

Yeah, pain in the arse!
If you ask me, if i want a restrictor on my exhaust and it just HAPPENS to bring the exhaust volume down to 88db, what can they say?!?

My other trick would be to put a rev limiter on the car at 4k and just say "that's how i drive it" what can they do if the spark cuts at 4k?!?

90LAN
08-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, pain in the arse!
If you ask me, if i want a restrictor on my exhaust and it just HAPPENS to bring the exhaust volume down to 88db, what can they say?!?

My other trick would be to put a rev limiter on the car at 4k and just say "that's how i drive it" what can they do if the spark cuts at 4k?!?

haahah get hondata it has that feature " lauch control"

booget
27-07-2009, 04:03 PM
did they say anything regarding pod filter or after market ECU's?

dsp26
30-07-2009, 01:35 PM
did they say anything regarding pod filter or after market ECU's?

my ecu was hidden because it was a CROMED oem ecu.

as for pod filter yes you need to remove it.. if you check the link that i posed in your thread they list every part that modifies emissions... even an adjustable fuel reg is defectable.

aftermarket cat converters have to have a 'voluntary emissions test' through 1 of 2 epa centres in sydney IF its one of those high flow barrel ones because it's apparently smaller than the oem even though i proved to them it was bigger. they said they will always pass those bigger oval ones simply because their bigger.. dunno weird standard

dsp26
30-07-2009, 01:37 PM
anyways i do have a 'trick' to reduce a significant amount of noise.. PM me if interested

nigs
30-07-2009, 07:11 PM
haahah get hondata it has that feature " lauch control"

Good idea if you used a fuel cut.
Most use ignition cut and that results in noise and flames out the back end :(

Try some steel wool in the muffler if you've tried everything else to pass.

dsp26
30-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Good idea if you used a fuel cut.
Most use ignition cut and that results in noise and flames out the back end :(

Try some steel wool in the muffler if you've tried everything else to pass.

fuel cut doesn't work for a few reasons:
- Honda specified noise test rpm at 5700rpm for all B-series for adr compliance
- rev bouncing on launch control rpm limit will create a lot of back off noise which is also measured.

- can't put steel wool in muffler because it blows straight out, that would incur you quite a hefty on the spot fine when they see that happen
- even if you have a cannon with those n1 silencers to hold the steel wool, the cannon is already a defect for having a removable silencer

they take pictures of your engine bay and entire undercarriage... if you get reported a 2nd time your so ****ed, as per the letter the DECC will actually visit your car next time around.

after you pass you may as well:
- start being creative on 'stealth mods'
- get your car engineered
- sell your car and start over

nigs
30-07-2009, 07:48 PM
ha defect for removable silencer =\

no doubt it's something to do with a device which alters noise/emission output.
Yet some cars are fitted with such devices from factory.
Adjustable flaps on/in the muffler.

Whatever, the laws are bogus. Gotta keep those wheels turning, money needs to be made. :)

dsp26
30-07-2009, 08:16 PM
ha defect for removable silencer =\

no doubt it's something to do with a device which alters noise/emission output.
Yet some cars are fitted with such devices from factory.
Adjustable flaps on/in the muffler.

Whatever, the laws are bogus. Gotta keep those wheels turning, money needs to be made. :)

which car has them from factory?

i know of a few with auto-adjusting ones (ie the DC5 muffler with the baffle that opens up on high pressure)

removable are defectable for that exact reason, coz some young hoon dip shit will simply remove it once he passes... n1 silencers however will pass if it is welded on.

there is a valve adjustable muffler thats adr approved, the remus system for v8's... and again i'll mension this here the x-force varex is not adr compliant and also defectable