PDA

View Full Version : new wheels, old spare wheel?

CvcResponse
08-12-2007, 11:02 PM
So i got new wheels for my ek civic, bigger than the stocks, but i still have the space saver spare wheel in the boot.. If i get a flat tyre or whatever, would the smaller sized spare be temporarily sufficient? I'm sure the tyre shop would've advised me about it if it was an issue, or maybe its not their concern. Not a major issue but just wondering if anyone with 16"+ wheel civics could make do with a stock space saver wheel in an emergency, or have actually used it okay in the past.

dsp26
08-12-2007, 11:13 PM
space savers are insufficient, period!

let alone if its a smaller size than the rest of your wheels. find a suitable replacement in terms of overall diameter combination of tyre/wheel close to your aftermarkets.

CvcResponse
08-12-2007, 11:23 PM
So i should really get an extra tyre, same size as current ones, as a spare? and get rid of the space saver. would i also need some kind of rim frame thingy like how a wheel looks with no hubcap?

aaronng
08-12-2007, 11:32 PM
What were your original tyre size and the new tyre size? If the overall diameter are the same, you can put one of your original rims with tyre in your boot and use that as a spare. Assuming your car is front wheel drive, if you get a puncture in the front, you have to transfer a tyre from the rear to the front and then put the spare onto your rear.

CvcResponse
08-12-2007, 11:41 PM
What were your original tyre size and the new tyre size? If the overall diameter are the same, you can put one of your original rims with tyre in your boot and use that as a spare. Assuming your car is front wheel drive, if you get a puncture in the front, you have to transfer a tyre from the rear to the front and then put the spare onto your rear.
Thats not a bad idea, i was gonna suggest that but for some reason thought it wasn't gonna work but makes sense now heh.. old tyre = 175/65/14, new tyre = 205/45/16.. is this about the same diameter?

D4rk4n63l
09-12-2007, 01:22 AM
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

dsp26
10-12-2007, 09:37 AM
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp is better :thumbsup:

everyone should use it as you can compare multiple sizes. lpus it has list of available tyres for each size.

steve88
10-12-2007, 10:25 AM
so the spare wheel are what, 14s? 15s? if that on an EK civic. now with my new 18s if i got a flat i cant put on my spare tyre id be ****ed wouldnt i?

dsp26
10-12-2007, 10:58 AM
so the spare wheel are what, 14s? 15s? if that on an EK civic. now with my new 18s if i got a flat i cant put on my spare tyre id be ****ed wouldnt i?

naturally the smaller spare wheel which will generally be smaller in width and height to your 18s will result in your car easily loosing traction and veering to that one side ESPECIALLY if it's at the front, not so bad if in the rear unless you drive S2K.

thats why i said space savers are shit... literally designed as a 5minute replacement while you make your way to get damaged tyre fixed. these things break traction at even 40km/h with near new tread.

For those who want weight saving by loosing the spare wheel, unless your tyres commonly explode, chances are you only get nails and little shit. Your better off removing the shitty space saver and keep the licorice looking plugging kits in your car. they will hold air in your tyres long enough (like half a week) for you to get them fixed properly with tyre shops removing the tyre and PATCHING FROM THE INSIDE.

However, travelling without spare wheel/jack/factory tools is defectable/finable offence

steve88
10-12-2007, 11:13 AM
im starting to hate the fact i got a hatchback!

dsp26
10-12-2007, 11:21 AM
im starting to hate the fact i got a hatchback!

how come? i can't imagine the reason to have anything to do with flat tyres or spare wheels?

195/60/15s make pretty good spare tyres as they give you room to deflate to match your tyres due to huge sidewall... BUT... their heavy... BUT if you have 18s already anyway you obviously don't care about the weight savings :p

steve88
10-12-2007, 11:23 AM
because i have **** all room in the boot for subs + grocerys + putting 18s on a small car is not easy

dsp26
10-12-2007, 01:53 PM
because i have **** all room in the boot for subs + grocerys + putting 18s on a small car is not easy

lol now now we're here to comfort you :p

but isn't that your choice in having all that stuff... nothing to do with your hatch... i always thought civic boots were quite roomy.... the EF/EG are very deceptively huge considering they look small from the outside.. even back seat room is ample.

Suggested Solutions:
- Trade in for lightweight 15s with awesome tyres for the price of 18s with alright tyres.
- Decent audio system without subs (I have massive 6x9s that are able to put out 350w rms of sound, ~150-200wrms of which would go to bass, PM me if your interested in the brand/model.. they aint cheap to import)

besides, you can chuck groceries in the back seats right? how often would wou do groceries with a full car of people unless your the designated morning church driver and do shopping after?