PDA

View Full Version : Bait and Switch on Honda Dealer Service

one4spl
10-12-2007, 08:58 AM
I booked my Accord Euro in for its 50k service after being quoted $186 (for an oil change and inspection). My wife dropped the car off at the dealer this morning to be told that it will cost $410. She SMSs me wondering what the heck is going on. I phone them and they say that they "recommend" that we have the power steering fluid changed ($90) and the injectors cleaned ($135).

I asked why I wasn’t made aware of this when I booked the car in. The guy tells me that they don’t know the age of the car until it’s dropped off... I tell him that this is crap as I'd discussed the warranty with the person I booked it in with and they had the delivery date on file.

I told him to just do the standard service and that I don't appreciate this behaviour.

Is this sort of rubbish typical of Honda Dealer Service shops?

Shraka
10-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Not in my experience. My Honda service center has always been good to me.

EDIT: They are a bit expensive though.

kraiye
10-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Sounds like ANY dealer behaviour to me

one4spl
10-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah, the only other 'new' car I've had, and therefore had some desire to get the stamps in the book and warranty rather than service it myself, was my Holden Barina SRi, and Eagers always did the right thing by me.

For what its worth this was Honda in Southport.

kraiye
10-12-2007, 11:30 AM
might be cause your wife took it in too, hate how the buggers do that to women

Merlin086
10-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah, the only other 'new' car I've had, and therefore had some desire to get the stamps in the book and warranty rather than service it myself, was my Holden Barina SRi, and Eagers always did the right thing by me.

For what its worth this was Honda in Southport.

Surely not Von Bibra........:eek:

Glad I go to "the other one"..........;)

beeza
10-12-2007, 11:46 AM
I get a lot of my OEM parts from there.I have found them to be very helpful but what U just said is Bulls**t.Don't take that crap.It definately sounds like a case of targeting a woman...they wouldn't dream of doing that to me as I know my car.At the very least they would discuss it with me not tell me.

Mr_will
10-12-2007, 11:55 AM
some simple maths here.

186 = what you were quoted
90+135 = what you are saying were additional charges.

they add to 289.

Wheres the other 121?

I dont see this as a big deal. You pay for what you put it in for, and nothing more. Next time they wont do that to you.

ginganggooly
10-12-2007, 11:57 AM
some simple maths here.

they add to 289.

Wheres the other 121?

I dont see this as a big deal. You pay for what you put it in for, and nothing more. Next time they wont do that to you.

Tell me you're kidding.

beeza
10-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Mr Will is just messing with us.

markCivicVti
10-12-2007, 12:01 PM
186+90+135 = 411

Yeah simple maths ftw... if only you did it right!

Pumped
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
I think it really depends on the dealer/who you speak to as to whether they try and force/talk you into buying additional over priced servicing

Ive tried a few dealers, some were like that, some werent!

ginganggooly
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Mr Will is just messing with us.

I dunno mate... when somebody starts out with "some simple maths here", i kinda expect the calculations to be correct. ;)

beeza
10-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Still too early.It is monday :)

Merlin086
10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=Mr_will;1463622]some simple maths here.

Haha, yeh, that's as simple maths as I've ever come across....:(

m0nty ITR
10-12-2007, 12:59 PM
some simple maths here.

they add to 289.

Wheres the other 121?

:thumbsup:

I see you've playing knifey spooney before.

To the OP, it's a simple upsell. Just say no. Those injector cleans are rubbish anyway. Power steering is totally up to you. Simply look at your owners manual and see what the manufacturer recommends.

Merlin086
10-12-2007, 02:00 PM
I think he's playing "Ostrich" now.....lol

ginganggooly
10-12-2007, 02:09 PM
BTW, ask them how they cleaned the injectors...
I've used an ultrasonic cleaner before and it worked a treat; the spray patterns were much better after the cleaning cycle...
I wouldn't necessarily write injector cleaning off as a waste of time, depending on mileage etc.

one4spl
10-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I get the idea of up-sell, but they had the chance to up-sell to me on the phone when I booked it in, rather than take advantage of my mechanically inept wife.

Such is life... I'll be very clear to them next time, if there is a next time.

I've just spoken to my wife and apparently they replaced both headlights completely. Hope they fit them neatly unlike the job mentioned in the headlight moisture thread.

The drivers seat belt tensioner wasnt working that well and they claim they oiled it... thats a bit scary.

one4spl
10-12-2007, 02:15 PM
BTW, ask them how they cleaned the injectors...
I've used an ultrasonic cleaner before and it worked a treat; the spray patterns were much better after the cleaning cycle...
I wouldn't necessarily write injector cleaning off as a waste of time, depending on mileage etc.

Well, my old corolla never had it done in 220kkm and 12 years, and it still got good milage and performed at least as well as when it was new.

The accord is getting 8.5l//100km which is fantastic, so I doubt there is anything wrong with its injectors either.

If the injectors needed cleaning, or the power steering fluid needed replacing, then it would be in the service schedule. Honda spent millions on making sure that the schedule is right... who the heck are they to say that Honda got it wrong?

Mr_will
10-12-2007, 02:21 PM
also what you described is not bait and switch.

bait and switch is where one product is offered on special or in some other way as an attractive proposition and then replaced by another when you go to the store. you were being provided with the original service you requested, so it isnt bait and switch.

Mr_will
10-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Tell me you're kidding.

Sorry too much crystal meth this morning

My previous point stands - get that into you

Good day to you

one4spl
10-12-2007, 02:31 PM
also what you described is not bait and switch.

bait and switch is where one product is offered on special or in some other way as an attractive proposition and then replaced by another when you go to the store. you were being provided with the original service you requested, so it isnt bait and switch.

In the respect that they low-balled the $186 figure to get me to book it in, and then tell my wife that its $410 when she fronts up - it is.

Merlin086
10-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry too much crystal meth this morning

My previous point stands - get that into you

Good day to you

Note....when brain is in neutral due to substance abuse do not engage typing fingers........
WTF....there goes that quick wit again Mr_will.......jk....;)

BiLL|z0r
10-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm surprised Von Bibra did this as I've had nothing but good dealings with them. Any problems sorted under wty no qustions asked. Even had them give me new front brake rotors and pads under wty at 40K.

one4spl
11-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Just stating my personal experience.

They replaced the headlights, and in the process didn't put the bumper back properly and it buldged out on the passenger side where it meets the wheel arch. The drivers side headlight didnt line up with the panel all that well either. To top it off they took the time to blacken my tyres, but not to wipe all the dirty black fingerprints off my white car.

So, I spent last night sorting all this out myself. Off to an independent I go next time.

They managed to change the oil just fine though.

tony1234
11-12-2007, 06:31 AM
They should make sure they service the car properly and fix what you want them to instead of doing a half arsed job and then wanting to sell you all this unnecessary profit making crap.On my previous car they wanted me to get an injector service($179)and it only had 20k!!What a joke.This sort of thing really pisses me off.

beeza
11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
If they are charging proffesional money they have to do a proffesional job.They sort of thing you would expect from ya local mechanic but not Von Bibra.
It should only cost $40/injector to have them cleaned and flow rate/pattern fixed.

Blitzen
11-12-2007, 06:28 PM
yeah I've heard alot about dodgy dealer services, and been through some bad times with them, that's why I've always insisted independent providers, dealer services are full of BS, change this change that... covering their cost of flashy equipments...

one4spl
12-12-2007, 05:06 PM
So... anyone know a good service shop in western Brisbane...

Honda Care Automotive
Unit 4/ 1 Spine St Sumner Park QLD 4074
ph: (07) 3279 6522

This place is very close to home... any comments?

PS. incase you were wondering my wife works on the coast, thus the job at Von Bibra...

90LAN
12-12-2007, 05:21 PM
scott from honda care is very good and well priced
i would recommend honda care ...

Merlin086
12-12-2007, 05:26 PM
scott from honda care is very good and well priced
i would recommend honda care ...

Yeh, he put the jtune gear on my car, top bloke, all good...:thumbsup:

tron07
13-12-2007, 11:01 AM
So far for my 2 service, I sit at the lounge and wait for my car to be done.... no hanky panky from them....

Butso
19-12-2007, 12:59 AM
btw they charged $40 for a standard OEM headlight . thats rubbish . i told them to take it and stick it up their . i'd rather get aftermarket rubbish that blows up than pay $40 for a H4 bulb .

hotout
20-12-2007, 06:50 PM
look out for the one where they quote you 'x' and then charge extra for additives (oil and petrol) when you pick up your car. (even when you never asked for it and is even actively discouraged by Honda Australia). Who? Scotts Artarmon in Sydney of course!

albii
24-12-2007, 10:58 AM
took my euro to northside honda for 40k service and was quoted $430 and ended up being charged $380 because i had the k and n filter.

SRVTIR
24-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Honestly mate,

Honda warranty is a load of crack in my experience. I had the fogged up lights on my 04 euro... its a defect from factory which means they must cover it.

They didnt cover it and it costs me 2200 bucks for fixxing and light replacement. I took the issue to Consumer Affairs and funnily enough, the next day they called and said they would reimburse me the full amount.

Funny when i thought they wouldnt cover it. They like to pull strings on ya with that kinda stuff so be carefull. My suggestion is to find a trustworthy mechanic and just replace the parts with Honda Genuine Parts & reember to stamp your book! :)

That way, the car will always be covered and not voiding the warranty.

:) Merry Christmas! :)

EUR003act
26-12-2007, 11:17 AM
They should make sure they service the car properly and fix what you want them to instead of doing a half arsed job and then wanting to sell you all this unnecessary profit making crap.On my previous car they wanted me to get an injector service($179)and it only had 20k!!What a joke.This sort of thing really pisses me off.

apart from the guy who works at the spare parts desk (he's awesome! excellent bloke!) i have had nothing but trouble from the honda dealer in canberra... they just cant seem to get things right, they like charging me for things i dont need, and cant fix the problems that i actually need fixing...

Riviera
26-12-2007, 11:29 AM
load of horse mate.

50k service needing an injector clean... power steering fluid maybe.

but if theyre only recommendations then its up to you...

ACCORDEURO2007
26-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Finding a good dealer is like finding a decent doctor. keep looking till ya find a good one. When you pay good money you should expect the service to be excellent. Honda North in Perth are fantastic.

tim-e
26-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Larke Hoskins has been really good so far for me.

tony1234
27-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Finding a good dealer is like finding a decent doctor. keep looking till ya find a good one. When you pay good money you should expect the service to be excellent. Honda North in Perth are fantastic.
True.true.

tanalasta
29-12-2007, 01:22 AM
If you haven't authorised for it to be done, don't pay it.

If they kick up a fuss, say you will take it to consumer affairs (and actually do so). Honda service centres provide a written quote before the start of the service. If the final amount differs significantly from that and they haven't called you, then I'm afraid they are ripping the missus off.

The Perth dealers all love their fuel injector cleaner treatment and engine flush additives. I don't know whether using BP ultimate and Mobil 1 engine oil actually help, but one would think my engine doesn't need the additional treatment. You just have to be firm and tell them you don't want it. It's your car.