PDA

View Full Version : Weak engine start when warm on new Civic 2007 model

azeon
11-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi all,

I bought a brand new Civic VTI-L about a month ago and I'm having an annoying problem with starting the engine when it's warm.

In the morning when I do a cold start the engine fires up beautifully. However, after letting the car cool for about 1 hour and I try to start the engine again, it starts but the engine splutters and the cabin of the car shakes before the RPM goes up and stabilizes.

I searched the forum and found 2 threads with exactly the same problem on Accord Euros:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22130
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77078

Has anyone had this problem with a Civic? I've taken it for servicing and all they did was reset the computer and cleaned the throttle. Hasn't fixed the problem.

Should I take it back again or am I wasting my time?

Thanks.

Kiz_EG6
11-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi all,

I bought a brand new Civic VTI-L about a month ago and I'm having an annoying problem with starting the engine when it's warm.

In the morning when I do a cold start the engine fires up beautifully. However, after letting the car cool for about 1 hour and I try to start the engine again, it starts but the engine splutters and the cabin of the car shakes before the RPM goes up and stabilizes.

I searched the forum and found 2 threads with exactly the same problem on Accord Euros:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22130
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77078

Has anyone had this problem with a Civic? I've taken it for servicing and all they did was reset the computer and cleaned the throttle. Hasn't fixed the problem.

Should I take it back again or am I wasting my time?

Thanks.

Keep taking it back and keep hounding them until it's fixed.
Remember, the customer is always right, even when they're wrong, the dealership is there to serve you, so be a hassle as much as you want if you are not 100% happy with ur vehicle!!

JaCe
11-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Take it back. Never had that issue with my VTi-L.

ozR18
11-12-2007, 09:23 PM
ive got tat weak engine start a few times...but very rare.IMO...the problem i think for me is when i dont turn the ignition properly and that is when it happens...(as in when you dont turn the key fully)

Datuk
11-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Never had that issue with my VTi

Joele
12-12-2007, 10:18 AM
no problem like this on my 2007 Vti, now dash rattle is another issue LOL

Riviera
12-12-2007, 07:41 PM
not revving it before turning it off? like hardcores do, that usually causes start up problems or if youve been running it hard then just turning it off straight away can sumtimes cause problems...

dmx
13-12-2007, 02:28 PM
ive got tat weak engine start a few times...but very rare.IMO...the problem i think for me is when i dont turn the ignition properly and that is when it happens...(as in when you dont turn the key fully)
happened to me when not turn key properly, so better just push the button:D

Frost_FD
13-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Haha nice one, BTW DMX is there any way to stop the button from cranking over once the engine is on?

chylld
17-12-2007, 12:48 PM
found this thread through the honda shame (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67030) thread.

i've noticed that if i start my car when the engine's warm, the revs settle much lower than if i start the car cold. apparently this behaviour is due to the catalytic converter / some emissions crap, and your problem might be an exaggerated example of this. possibly another avenue to pursue?

i know it's quite hard to get adequate service out of honda these days, but if the problem's bad enough to maybe one day stop your engine from turning over at all, then you have a very serious problem on your hands which, rather ironically, honda will refuse to fix because you didn't show them the problem earlier :)

denot
17-12-2007, 12:52 PM
i know it's quite hard to get adequate service out of honda these days, but if the problem's bad enough to maybe one day stop your engine from turning over at all, then you have a very serious problem on your hands which, rather ironically, honda will refuse to fix because you didn't show them the problem earlier :)

And when this happens, let us just pray that it happens before the warranty void...

PS: I have almost a similar problem... when I try to start the engine, sometimes I have to re-shut the engine (turn the key back) and then turn it back on again to make it works. The first time I try to turn the engine on, it makes noices of a 20 yrs old car trying to start on a winter morning @ snowy mountain. :thumbdwn:

azeon
17-12-2007, 02:29 PM
And when this happens, let us just pray that it happens before the warranty void...

PS: I have almost a similar problem... when I try to start the engine, sometimes I have to re-shut the engine (turn the key back) and then turn it back on again to make it works. The first time I try to turn the engine on, it makes noices of a 20 yrs old car trying to start on a winter morning @ snowy mountain. :thumbdwn:

So Denot, did you take your car back for servicing?

denot
17-12-2007, 02:35 PM
So Denot, did you take your car back for servicing?

Nope... I never ever bring my car back to Honda anymore... :( wasting money...

EuroDude
17-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Does the VTI-L have a K Series?

If you let the engine idle for a few seconds before shutting off the engine, it improves the next startup time. We think its an emissions 'feature' causing it

azeon
17-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Does the VTI-L have a K Series?

If you let the engine idle for a few seconds before shutting off the engine, it improves the next startup time. We think its an emissions 'feature' causing it

How do you check whether it is a K series or not?

markCivicVti
17-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Only The Sports (FD2) and type R have K series. The vti and vti-l are R18a engines.

buddah51au
17-12-2007, 05:44 PM
After 17 months and 35,500km i can say i have not had 1 problem with my civic