PDA

View Full Version : 86 Integra diff

CanHonda
12-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Hey there, seems my diff is now a locker and that very hard to turn corners... does anyone know of a place in Brisbane that might have a 2nd hand one i could get my hands on ?

Up date... All good, the diff went in no probs and shes all sweet now.

Kiz_EG6
12-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey there, seems my diff is now a locker and that very hard to turn corners... does anyone know of a place in Brisbane that might have a 2nd hand one i could get my hands on ?

You understand that a honda is front wheel drive and has CV joints instead of a diff...

I fail to see how this could be, as CV's will grind for bout 6 months or more before the ACTUALLY give out.
You just need to go to a machanic and get them replaced, though i doubt that is the problem, but if it is effecting your steering i would have the car looked at ASAP!!

Bludger
12-12-2007, 11:59 AM
You understand that a honda is front wheel drive and has CV joints instead of a diff...

I fail to see how this could be, as CV's will grind for bout 6 months or more before the ACTUALLY give out.
You just need to go to a machanic and get them replaced, though i doubt that is the problem, but if it is effecting your steering i would have the car looked at ASAP!!every car has a differential

Kiz_EG6
12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
every car has a differential

Yeah i know that, but it doesn't have the characteristics of a RWD diff, i have never inmy life heard of one "locking"

Bludger
12-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Yeah i know that, but it doesn't have the characteristics of a RWD diff, i have never inmy life heard of one "locking"why would a front differential behave differently to a rear differential.

he says locking, but maybe he doesn't know what its actually doing, he just says its hard to turn. don't mean it is locking.

Kiz_EG6
12-12-2007, 12:28 PM
why would a front differential behave differently to a rear differential.

he says locking, but maybe he doesn't know what its actually doing, he just says its hard to turn. don't mean it is locking.

It behaves differently, because a rear diff does not have to turn corners...
I just think that this dude is on the wrong track bout what is in fact wrong with his car!!

Mr_will
12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
I just think that this dude is on the wrong track bout what is in fact wrong with his car!!

i hope youre not suggesting that the rear wheels on a rwd car turn at the same speed all the time

Bludger
12-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I just think that this dude is on the wrong track bout what is in fact wrong with his car!!differentials don't behave differently depending on thier location, they behave differently depending on the type of Diff that they are...

Bludger
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
maybe your power steering karked it?

bennjamin
12-12-2007, 12:45 PM

You just need to go to a machanic and get them replaced, though i doubt that is the problem, but if it is effecting your steering i would have the car looked at ASAP!!

CV joints are on both FWD's and RWD's , as they need to apply power at angles of suspension movement (on RWD/FWD etc) and steering moverment (FWD). Do you refer to the inner driveshaft splines ? (that sit inside the diff housing) ?

Also - good point above that the PS ma of failed. IS the steering REALLY heavy ? IS your PS reservoir empty ?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
12-12-2007, 03:15 PM
maybe your power steering karked it?

I believe 86 (1st generation) integra's came with power steering but only in small numbers :)

so Canhonda if you have ps be glad and thankful :D

more then likely your cv joint/cv boot has karked it

but to answer the original question try some wrecking yards (i will dig up an old link if you like) or give honbits in sydney or melbourne (i think the other one is there) a call and they can hook you up

CanHonda
12-12-2007, 07:44 PM
ok well the the diff is the problem, im not a tard, i know what cv joints do, I aked for any one that knows where i might get one, SHOGUNOVDDRK is the only one that saw what was typed, the pin through the gears in the diff has done something and now if u turn the front left (wheels off ground) there is a clunk and then the right wheel starts to spin, ie locker, not a good one but its still locked. There is no power steer on my car but its lighter to turn than my GTiR with ps.

anyway i found a place in brisbane," honda rec " $330 for gearbox/front diff

thanks for the ahh help guys !

SHOGUNOVDDRK
12-12-2007, 09:31 PM
SHOGUNOVDDRK is the only one that saw what was typed,

anyway i found a place in brisbane," honda rec " $330 for gearbox/front diff

thanks for the ahh help guys !

mate its all good

i just thought id add my suggestion (as i own a 1986 honda civic [which the integra is pretty much the same car just a different skin])

btw that isnt a too bad price...ive seen higher quotes before (for a possible project for my father)