PDA

View Full Version : How long to install motor mount inserts

marcs
12-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Hey guys,

I drive a DC2 and recently had some Energy suspension motor mount inserts installed (3 inserts), plus the shifter insert. My mechanic said it would take a couple of hours max, but ended up saying it took 4.5hrs to install because the rear mount was giving him a lot of trouble. I feel like I've been overcharged. What are your opinions?

e240
12-12-2007, 08:34 AM
When i tried to do it myself with the engine in, i simply gave up on the rear mount after struggling with it for a couple of hours. It is very difficult with the engine in. But if you have had an agreement on the number of hours, then you could negotiate the charge.

Q_ball
12-12-2007, 08:38 AM
If you were quoted X amount of hrs for a job, for it to hold up anywhere, it has to be on paper.
Dont bother disputing it otherwise.

marcs
12-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Nah I wasn't going to dispute it. I guess I just want some kind of confirmation that what he charged me was fair and not over the top.

Benson
12-12-2007, 09:20 AM
you got owned dude.... it takes us 2hours to do in the backyard....in a workshop it should be quicker since they have a car hoist....live and learn

beeza
12-12-2007, 11:20 AM
you got owned dude.... it takes us 2hours to do in the backyard....in a workshop it should be quicker since they have a car hoist....live and learn

Not the rear mount.The rear mount is a bitch.I still haven't got mine in.Had a couple of attempts...
Thanks to Jason,I know how to do it now at least:
basic process for rear mount removal is:

Jack engine up (put a piece of wood between the jack and engine)
Undo the three bolts holding the bracket to the engine
undo the bolt holding the bracket to the engine mount.
undo the three engine mount bolts and remove engine mount.
reverse order for installation.

Hardest part will be getting to the three bolts holding the mount on. Especially when the engine is in there. You might also have trouble with the front bolt on the engine mount. I had to get a longer bolt for my hasport mounts because the mount is much thicker then the oem one. The OEM bolt only went in about 1 turn.

btw how do you install the top 2 mounts,do you jack the engine up? this is for a 96 EK1 civic sedan.

mugsee
12-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Agreed with Benson - rear engine mount for the second time in 2 weeks took us about an hour and a half. First time around it was a different affair @ 2-2.5 hours I think.

Admittedly, its a very hard mount to get to.

BlitZ
12-12-2007, 11:31 AM
all i can say is that its a bitch..

an average mechanic with no honda rear mount experience yes.. about 4.5hours..

a honda only mechanic, about 2.5hours

you have to know how to pivot the mount out.. but its still damn hard

bennjamin
12-12-2007, 11:39 AM
yup get the front lower torque mounts off the make is easiest and disconnect the rear T brace , and pivot the engine and you should get enough leverage to get in there with small hands and get at the rear mount.
Front 2 lower torque mounts are a sinch.

BlitZ
12-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Fark EKs you cant tilt the engine too much as you will rip the passenger mount.. which makes it Shi7...

JasonGilholme
12-12-2007, 12:10 PM
if you've already got the inserts in the drivers and passengers mounts it makes it alot harder to tilt/shake the engine.

I'd probably say its easier to unbolt the hold engine and move it forward in the engine bay to make more room to get to that rear mount.

I've only ever done it with the engine out but i can see that it'd be a pain in the ass if you had the engine in.

Bludger
12-12-2007, 12:12 PM
if you've already got the inserts in the drivers and passengers mounts it makes it alot harder to tilt/shake the engine.

I'd probably say its easier to unbolt the hold engine and move it forward in the engine bay to make more room to get to that rear mount.

I've only ever done it with the engine out but i can see that it'd be a pain in the ass if you had the engine in.if you placed a flat piece of wood under the sump and then support the motor with a jack, do you think the sump would hold up?

beeza
12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Yes,definately.It's been done plenty of times.

Bludger
12-12-2007, 12:16 PM
then thats how i would do it.

undo all the mounts and hold the motor up with a Jack, that way, its more maneuverable

bennjamin
12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
if you placed a flat piece of wood under the sump and then support the motor with a jack, do you think the sump would hold up?

it does. Done it plenty of times. Just use a decent JACK to do it (not a super cheap one).

BTW all you need to do is undo all the TORQUE mounts , leave the 2 engine mounts to hold the engine up :) Removing hte front lower 2 should give it enough leverage , you MAY have to remove the AC compressor or loosen it off the mount to let the engine move. EK subframes are shit and make this process more difficult too lol

beeza
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Anyone on the Gold Coast/Brisbane area that can help me with mine? Pretty pretty pleeeeeeease :)

BlitZ
12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
if you placed a flat piece of wood under the sump and then support the motor with a jack, do you think the sump would hold up?

fark oath it will hold up.. strong like superman

e240
12-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Yes,definately.It's been done plenty of times.

Not if you have an Aluminium Sump!

marcs
14-12-2007, 06:13 AM
Thanks for answering my question.