PDA

View Full Version : Servicing Mums Car?

Petronas
12-12-2007, 01:06 PM
I've never really serviced a car before and was wondering what needs to be done? Just a general rundown on what I ask the Mech. to do for it would be good...

(All I do with my car is change the oil every 5000 - 7000k... Other than that and maybe brakes... Haven't had to do anything else (Servicing wise)... I've only ever owned 2 cars for less than 6 months each in my life...)

My mums owns a 1995 BMW 316i and hasn't served it for over 6 months...

Thanks Guys

Bludger
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
how many km's has the car done?

Petronas
12-12-2007, 01:25 PM
how many km's has the car done?

I think around the 150k Mark... Not too sure

Bludger
12-12-2007, 01:37 PM
a lot needs to be looked at at 150K km's

there is too much to list that needs to be checked, pretty much everything.

you need to find out what has been done 1st, then you can work out what needs to be done

LOL

touge-time
12-12-2007, 08:46 PM
make sure you get a pro to look at it for the major service. also have a geez at the manual/booklet and see when the timing belt needs changing (it might have a chain, idk sorry). get that done for sure, to save yourself and your mum alot of eventual trouble in the future.

Petronas
12-12-2007, 10:13 PM
make sure you get a pro to look at it for the major service. also have a geez at the manual/booklet and see when the timing belt needs changing (it might have a chain, idk sorry). get that done for sure, to save yourself and your mum alot of eventual trouble in the future.

It's a chain If I remember correctly :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info guys

EG30
13-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Your mum's car has a M43B16 ( does like a honda designation doesnt it- M43 series 1.6L ) engine which doesn't have a timing belt like the earlier M40 versions 4 cyl engines.

To service is piss easy as BMW are very logical to work on, think of it as German Honda. Make sure you replace the catridge type oil filter and sump plug washer when you change the oil, buy them at a bmw dealer as the geniune filter only $15-20 or so and cheaper than the Ryco stuff you buy from repco or supercheap.

Great idea to change oil every 5-7Km on it with middle of road or better oil esp with the hydraulic lifters hating sludgy oil, and reset the service lights on dash if it there is less than 3 green lights left. If you don't have a reset tool, get a piece of wire and connect pin 7 of the diagnostic plug to ground for 3-4sec with ignition on for oil service reset, or 8sec for inspection reset.

Bludger
13-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Your mum's car has a M43B16 ( does like a honda designation doesnt it- M43 series 1.6L ) engine which doesn't have a timing belt like the earlier M40 versions 4 cyl engines.

To service is piss easy as BMW are very logical to work on, think of it as German Honda. Make sure you replace the catridge type oil filter and sump plug washer when you change the oil, buy them at a bmw dealer as the geniune filter only $15-20 or so and cheaper than the Ryco stuff you buy from repco or supercheap.

Great idea to change oil every 5-7Km on it with middle of road or better oil esp with the hydraulic lifters hating sludgy oil, and reset the service lights on dash if it there is less than 3 green lights left. If you don't have a reset tool, get a piece of wire and connect pin 7 of the diagnostic plug to ground for 3-4sec with ignition on for oil service reset, or 8sec for inspection reset.yeah, but at 150k you better check the whole car too, not just the engine.