PDA

View Full Version : Abs

thebob
12-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I have 3 choices.

Remove all traces of ABS, wiring and all.

Try to hide the wiring in the engine bay.

Leave as it.

Out of the top 2 which would be easier.

bennjamin
12-12-2007, 09:14 PM
hide wiring in engine bay ( IE wire tuck).

to remove the ABS motor and all that metal tubing would be a nightmare. Also illegal

Mugen_B16B
13-12-2007, 11:11 PM
ur ej8 doesnt come with abs neway bobby? even though u for 5 lug now should matter cause the car has no abs under it if they check

Limbo
13-12-2007, 11:16 PM
remove it all. The car came without ABS, and i'm guessing your doing a conversion. WHen you get it blueslipped, they should realise you can't hook it up. It shouldn't matter anyway.

zco
15-12-2007, 03:29 PM
im basing this on what a ej8 owner has told me..

ej8 came with ABS. front brakes only.

as ben stated, removing abs unit is illegal and you'll never get your car engineered if they know you originally had ABS

thebob
16-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Mine came with ABS, front and rear. EJ8.

My concern is now im running endless 4 pots on the front, will the abs effect the 4 pots still. I mean if its not going to work why have it in there.

ECU-MAN
17-12-2007, 11:52 AM
ej8 came with ABS. front brakes only.

not true

all modern Honda ABS is 4 channel ( each wheel is controled indipendantly )
only older ALB system where 3 channel but they still did the rear wheel's but on the same channel.

teh_mechanic
17-12-2007, 09:30 PM
like everyones saying,for roadworthy sake it atleast needs to look like its there as its illegal to remove it.
And even then I dont no your specific circumstances like if you still have the right hubs to mount the wheel sensors etc.
If your hardcore,strip the system and hope you dont get headaches when it comes time to get engineered.
If your looking to keep it pretty much legal,(still illegal as the abs wont actually function i think?),do the best to tuck the wiring,disable the system and you should be right,they hopefully wont test the abs when it comes time to engineer,but atleast it looks like its still there

I dont really know how abs goes on aftermarket calipers,never tried it,in theory though it should still work,to what extent i dont know.The abs modulator is just valves opening and closing rapidly to hold pressure at the caliper and relieve it,10 times a second or something like that, to maintain traction at the tyre.So your 4 pots will just be receiving pressure then relief over and over in abs like normal i assume,just the same as you pressing the brakes really rapidly.....The ABS unit may throw up a fault code though and freak out about it....like i said,im just making assumptions

Limbo
17-12-2007, 09:41 PM
well if you had it then yes it is illegal, but if you never had it just don't put it in. Might want to ask the blueslipping/engineer which way you will need to go to get it registered

thebob
17-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Nah thats exactly what i thought may happen, but i can deal with that. Personally i have never actually engaged ABS. Even on track days so leacing it in there wont be a problem, its just hiding those ugly wires.