PDA

View Full Version : ITR bits into an EG conversion.. Lot's of questions

Black_VTi
13-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Hey Guys,

Sorry in advance as this is a question which has probably been repeated as nauseam, but I am looking for information on buying an ITR wreck and using a great deal of the parts on an EG. I would like to know what parts are compatible between the 2 models and what sort of costs are involved in a project like this.

I understand that there are probably already quite a few posts or threads on this already. To contribute to this forum, I will build a knowledge base for this topic - similar to what [danny] has done for the engine compatibilities with EG’s. I will be doing a great deal of research on this topic in the coming weeks/months, so no doubt I will have a good understanding of this topic when I’m done.

I understand that the following parts can be used:

-B18c engine
-gearbox
-front seats (recaro)
-rear seats

I am not sure if the following parts are compatible or can be customised for the EG.

-ABS brakes, Master cylinder, etc.. Basically the whole package
-air conditioning/climate control
-suspension
-dash & speedo installed and working

I would like to get an approximate price guide of:

-an EG shell
-an ITR wreck with realistic kms (where no damage is done to the engine/gearbox and all brakes, suspension, and interior goodies are included - and everything is good condition)
-cost of installing engine and gearbox
-engineers certificate (is this required?) YES

Some resources for after parts have been sourced:

-where can I source an EG shell
-where can I source an ITR wreck
-which workshops have done this conversion before

Are there any other factors that should be considered:

-approximate price of insurance for a driver between 20-30 years old. I am 25, but thought it would be helpful to add the age range for others researching this topic. Obviously a 20 year old will pay more than a 30 year old.
-Any problems while registering
-Is there anything to watch out for keep this conversion road worthy and defect free

I am based in Sydney.

Thanks.

rayb3na_
13-12-2007, 03:37 AM
if u have the money pretty much everything can be fitted into the eg, but mainly the parts u listed are done in the usual conversion i hope that helps. where you can source an eg, try carsales sites etc etc look for something cheap like a gl or something as ur getting the type r brakes as well so ur just after the shell and theres some people here the have the jdm halfcut for sale just gotta ask around i guess and go down to some wreckers u'd be surprised at what they can order in, if ur still after some more info on halfcuts plus pm me =] hope this was useful!

BlitZ
13-12-2007, 08:42 AM
All really depends on the condition in which you want the parts in.. a wreck could be 1k to 10k depending.

For what you want expect to pay around the 10-15k mark

Good cond EG shell (if u can ever find one) - 3-4k
ITR front cut - 6k
conversions bits(oil seals belts regas a/c etc etc) - 1k

steve88
13-12-2007, 10:56 AM
some insurance companies have an age where your insurance just drops, my brothers insurance on his EJ coupe went from $1400 when he was 25 to about $700 when he turned 26.

youll need an engineered certificate to go from 1.6 to 1.8L yes.

in terms of keeping your car defect free due to the upgraded engine displacement, when you get your car engineered they will recommend upgraded breaks or whatever else may need upgrading. that will probably include breaks.

im pretty sure suspension is suited to classes of hondas, for instance u get coilovers that can do DC2/EG or EK/EJ etc.

if you want shells or wrecks lurk around ozhonda, plenty of people stripping their car. also check out car yards for shells (for sure there), and get a cheap run down EG shell that you yourself can panelbeat to repair or get some clown too (youd get it much cheaper + more satisfying). i sold one for $2.5k, no engine and didnt have much body damage. see here: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77754

BaNaNaMaN
13-12-2007, 12:11 PM
When shopping for a shell make sure it was INJECTED. Otherwise costs will grow when you have to replace the entire fueling system.

I have most of the Type-r bits you listed in my sedan (other than engine, going H22 instead and brakes, prelude setup)

The engine swap is a basic bolt in affair. There are HEAPS of them being done over here at the moment (NZ, NZHondas club) by people with basic spanner knowledge and a shit load of advice from other members.

Good luck

steve88
13-12-2007, 01:04 PM
it depends how much you can save getting a breeze v gli shell (gls are also carby).

Black_VTi
13-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.. Like I said I am going to compile all of this information, so keep it coming.

I am particulatly interested in knowing how hard it is to add the ITR dash to an EG. I Know it's been done before, I've seen it. But what I'd like to know is how hard is it to do, and if there is any modification required?

Also, once the dash is in, what happens with the door trims. I know the door trims on the EG have moulded sections where it meets the dash, so I'd be interested to see how it looks completed.

Has anyone seen any pics of this?

BaNaNaMaN
14-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.. Like I said I am going to compile all of this information, so keep it coming.

I am particulatly interested in knowing how hard it is to add the ITR dash to an EG. I Know it's been done before, I've seen it. But what I'd like to know is how hard is it to do, and if there is any modification required?

Also, once the dash is in, what happens with the door trims. I know the door trims on the EG have moulded sections where it meets the dash, so I'd be interested to see how it looks completed.

Has anyone seen any pics of this?

I have just done this in my EG sedan. It really isn't that hard to fit. There is far more work involved in doing the wiring.

I have had to remove some of the plastic from behind the dash, made up little extensions for the side mounting locations. Other than that the dash itself fits nicely. I still need to modify the steering column support as the gauge cluster hits it and won't sit in correctly.

As for the door trims I am taking a different approach. The EG door moulding doesn't match the dash at all. Infact you can't shut the doors with the standard door trims. The ones I have seen the guys peel the door vynal back and expose the plastic. Cut out the part the binds and then streach the vynal back over.
I am grafting the moulded section from an ITR door trim into my stock door trim and getting the whole door recover in black vynal to suit the dash.

My build thread is here
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78458

There are a few ways to get the dash to fit. This way the dash doesn't sit high which is a common thing with the swap.

connorling
15-12-2007, 02:31 AM
well, the radiator and the a/c does not fit in the EG, because it is a bit bigger, when i did my convertion, i had to use the old one,

the break master is too big for the EG according to the installer who install it for me, but i think he just wanted to take my break master cylinder, and i think none of the EG comes with the ABS, so u need to re connect to the break if u wanna have it in ur EG.

engine mount can be used, and the dashboard .....i dun think u can use it seriously, because these two dashboards are physically different, but i have seen people in USA put the whole interior from DC2 into the EG, but it costs a lot i think.

u can pick up a EG EFI for around 5k now, remember do not get the carby, that will cost u around another 1000 for the fuel tank, fuel line, and the new dashboard( carby dashboard doesnt have rpm). i got a half cut b18c nonR for 4400 in WA, and install for 1850(for carby), 1250 (for EFI), and all the bit and pieces.

but remember to better change the timebelt and clutch while doing the convertion, save some money on labour and u dun wanna the timebelt to break and waste the engine, and u dun know how long it has been with the engine.

i dun know about the engineer cert., as i have just done my convertion, but i heard it is pain in the ass........ need some more knowledge on that guys......

thanks

steve88
15-12-2007, 06:33 PM
if your doing a k series swap, youll need new fuel lines and tank anyway so getting carbie wouldnt make a difference anyway

Benson
15-12-2007, 06:57 PM
well, the radiator and the a/c does not fit in the EG, because it is a bit bigger, when i did my convertion, i had to use the old one,

the break master is too big for the EG according to the installer who install it for me, but i think he just wanted to take my break master cylinder, and i think none of the EG comes with the ABS, so u need to re connect to the break if u wanna have it in ur EG.

engine mount can be used, and the dashboard .....i dun think u can use it seriously, because these two dashboards are physically different, but i have seen people in USA put the whole interior from DC2 into the EG, but it costs a lot i think.

u can pick up a EG EFI for around 5k now, remember do not get the carby, that will cost u around another 1000 for the fuel tank, fuel line, and the new dashboard( carby dashboard doesnt have rpm). i got a half cut b18c nonR for 4400 in WA, and install for 1850(for carby), 1250 (for EFI), and all the bit and pieces.

but remember to better change the timebelt and clutch while doing the convertion, save some money on labour and u dun wanna the timebelt to break and waste the engine, and u dun know how long it has been with the engine.

i dun know about the engineer cert., as i have just done my convertion, but i heard it is pain in the ass........ need some more knowledge on that guys......

thanks

Dc2 radiator can fit in the easy with a little modification of the bottom brackets

ITR Master cylinder and booster fits in an EG with no problem.

Dash board is easy to put in, jsut take abit of time.

Dude stop posting misleading informtion. Do some research noob

Benson
15-12-2007, 06:59 PM
I am grafting the moulded section from an ITR door trim into my stock door trim and getting the whole door recover in black vynal to suit the dash.

My build thread is here
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78458

There are a few ways to get the dash to fit. This way the dash doesn't sit high which is a common thing with the swap.

Post up some pics dude:p. Im in the process of doing my door trims.

BaNaNaMaN
16-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Post up some pics dude:p. Im in the process of doing my door trims.

Don't get the ITR trims till christmas. Once I have them I will update that thread.

connorling
17-12-2007, 03:36 PM
dude, did u not see that i have already addressed the point of the installer wanna more money from me?????????? thats y he made up all this crap......thanks:thumbsup: for ur comment with a little reading on people post;)

Dc2 radiator can fit in the easy with a little modification of the bottom brackets

ITR Master cylinder and booster fits in an EG with no problem.

Dash board is easy to put in, jsut take abit of time.

Dude stop posting misleading informtion. Do some research noob

Paul1985
17-01-2008, 12:40 PM
if your doing a k series swap, youll need new fuel lines and tank anyway so getting carbie wouldnt make a difference anyway

Yes it does if you cant source the parts. Im having so much trouble finding the gear for this EFi conversion, i seriously wish i just went with a fuel injected car. I think i might end up needing custom hardlines from the tank.

I'll keep trying to find these parts. No luck as yet though. Ive tryed all the melb wreckers, and PM'ed a few people here.

BaNaNaMaN
17-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Yes it does if you cant source the parts. Im having so much trouble finding the gear for this EFi conversion, i seriously wish i just went with a fuel injected car. I think i might end up needing custom hardlines from the tank.

I'll keep trying to find these parts. No luck as yet though. Ive tryed all the melb wreckers, and PM'ed a few people here.

http://nzhondas.com/phpBB2/fs-heaps-of-eg-parts--vtu77567.html?highlight=fuel+lines
;)

If you get desprite :)

Paul1985
17-01-2008, 06:11 PM
You know what.
I dont see why you need lines off an EFi EG.
Im gonna use my carb ones.

I need rear brake lines though

defect
17-01-2008, 09:08 PM
does the itr rear seats fit a eg perfectly?

jdm_kid
17-01-2008, 09:13 PM
it fits, but a few gaps .. thats what ive heard from everyone.

I heart the SSS
17-01-2008, 09:55 PM
dashboard( carby dashboard doesnt have rpm)
thanks

umm you sure. Mine does and it's a November 92 Build GL Twin carb.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5521/cimg0071sd6.jpg

Paul1985
18-01-2008, 11:31 AM
does the itr rear seats fit a eg perfectly?

You need to get:
- DB8 (4 door DC2R) bottom cushion
- DC2 (2 door DC2R) back cushions

That will make it a perfect fit in an EG.

BaNaNaMaN
18-01-2008, 11:35 AM
You know what.
I dont see why you need lines off an EFi EG.
Im gonna use my carb ones.

I need rear brake lines though

You still need a return line.

As paul has said above those are the parts that will give you the best result in a hatch.

Paul1985
18-01-2008, 12:01 PM

As paul has said above those are the parts that will give you the best result in a hatch.

I looked at my lines of the EG GL and there are 3.
-return
-feed
-vapour (to canister/emission control)

dAzLr
18-01-2008, 06:10 PM
honbits in smithfield quoted me $400 for new fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel pump and efi wiring harness for behind the dash for my itr eg carby coversion, if you have any sort of mechanical knowlege anyone can remove the tank an lines an replace them with efi ones its the wiring behind the dash that becomes the fun part :p

Paul1985
19-01-2008, 12:23 AM
honbits in smithfield quoted me $400 for new fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel pump and efi wiring harness for behind the dash for my itr eg carby coversion, if you have any sort of mechanical knowlege anyone can remove the tank an lines an replace them with efi ones its the wiring behind the dash that becomes the fun part :p

swapping a complete wiring loom for another complete wiring loom isnt difficult, if you can swap a tank and lines then you can do the wire swap with absolute ease.

teh_mechanic
19-01-2008, 11:17 AM

theres already a return line.like paul said there are already 3.your carby car still has a mechanical fuel pump (on the engine),this fuel pump,while not as high pressure as the efi electric one,still pumps way to hard to just be feeding it into the carby,so there is still a return line to get the fuel back to the tank that isnt needed in the carby

Paul1985
19-01-2008, 11:59 AM
very good info on this subject teh_mechanic, helped clear alot up for me. Trying to give u rep points but i need to spread some first lol.