PDA

View Full Version : brake behaviour on uneven surface - 07 civic

Joele
13-12-2007, 11:25 AM
From complaints corner for the 07 Civic - "The brake pedal will shake/vibrate with noise as the pedal is press down and when the car is going over some uneven surfaces."

Mine does this too and I was going to ask at the service center at my 10K... Anyone else get this?

I notice it as near the bottom of a hill near me the road is paved so very uneven, through the peddle it almost feels like the ABS is tricked to kick in by the uneven surface...

Frost_FD
13-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Yes i get that and i scared the hell out of me the first time ABS kicked in. I get that aswell when breaking over pot holes and uneven surfaces. At least you know ABS is working fine =)

JaCe
13-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I know what you're talking about as well... it's a bit scary at first but you get used to it. It's just uneven road surface and the ABS kicking in yO.

Joele
13-12-2007, 02:59 PM
I know what you're talking about as well... it's a bit scary at first but you get used to it. It's just uneven road surface and the ABS kicking in yO.

So is that just a Civic specific thing or fairly common confusing situation for ABS systems (this is my first car with ABS)..

billkung
13-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Yes, I do have the same issue on my car particularly braking a little harder on the uneven surfaces. Is that really the ABS tricked to kick in by that reason, and would that hurt the braking system if it oftenly happens?

Joele
13-12-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm guessing it is, since so many people seem to have the same thing?

I am not that worried, I extended my warranty to 5 years, I wouldn't keep the car longer than that, so anything brakes (no pun intended) Honda can fix it. Will report to service center though, so I can at least say I warned them..

preludacris
13-12-2007, 04:32 PM
yeah i get that too.

also scared the hell outta me the first time. sometimes if i'm going onto a driveway sideways (lowered car) u kinda just tap the brake and it starts tap tap tapping.

chylld
14-12-2007, 06:58 AM
same here, honda denied it was a problem.

aaronng
14-12-2007, 02:28 PM
So is that just a Civic specific thing or fairly common confusing situation for ABS systems (this is my first car with ABS)..

It's ABS specific. My Euro does that as well.

aaronng
14-12-2007, 02:29 PM
same here, honda denied it was a problem.

Yeah, it's a feature, not a problem. If it didn't kick in when you were going over the uneven surface, you'd end up locking your wheels and screeching, resulting in either a flat spot and/or getting fined by the cops because of excessive noise. :)

chylld
14-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah, it's a feature, not a problem. If it didn't kick in when you were going over the uneven surface, you'd end up locking your wheels and screeching, resulting in either a flat spot and/or getting fined by the cops because of excessive noise. :)

hmm i drive a euro at least once a month and have never had the problem over the same surfaces... oh well.

i haven't lost faith in the brakes though, did a defensive driving course in the civic and they definitely pull up well enough :) (pity the car dives onto its nose though)

JaCe
14-12-2007, 11:45 PM
hmm i drive a euro at least once a month and have never had the problem over the same surfaces... oh well.

i haven't lost faith in the brakes though, did a defensive driving course in the civic and they definitely pull up well enough :) (pity the car dives onto its nose though)

Have any of you guys found that the brakes in the Civic become really ineffective once you have people in the car?

Compared to other cars I've driven, the impact of having more people in the car is very dramatic in the Civic on everything from acceleration to braking(IMO).

EDIT: Mind you, I still find the brakes good when it's just me, or me and one passenger in the car. Very predictable and controllable. It's only when the car is very heavy and fully loaded in the back that I start realising I have to brake considerably earlier.

chylld
15-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Have any of you guys found that the brakes in the Civic become really ineffective once you have people in the car?

Compared to other cars I've driven, the impact of having more people in the car is very dramatic in the Civic on everything from acceleration to braking(IMO).

my defensive driving course was done with 3 other people in the car... stopped really hard. also did a brake test in a golf gti with 2 people in the car and i couldn't really tell the difference.

the brakes in my car are very good in that the ABS is kicking in even at high speed (and i mean really kicking in, not the noise/vibration that's being complained about in this thread) - i think it's an issue of rubber.

or perhaps your tyre pressure is too low?

aaronng
15-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Maybe he's not pressing the pedal hard enough.

rhk
15-12-2007, 02:52 AM
try having coilovers and going over holes braking,

lot scarier