PDA

View Full Version : squeel/air noise coming from engine bay in EM1

DNYALL
14-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Ok so it is sort of hard to explain but there is sort of a squeel/air sound that is coming from somehwere in my engine bay.

It only happens when my foot is just less than half throttle or at about 5hg on my vaccume gauge. it is annoying because it is fairly loud and it happens at pretty much the throttle point your foot is at for everyday driving.

doesn't matter how fast u are going either, as long as my foot is somewhere around half throttle it make that squeeling sound. (sort of sounds like a real dodgy turbo) and no i am not turbo.

I have changed air filters and no effect, i have disconnected my whole intake system and re-connected it and no change, i had my throttlebody cleaned and no change...

It has been doing it for ages now and am pretty sure it started to make the noise when i got my 5zigen headers put on. I have had the exhaust changed a few times to and still it is there.

I am sure it wasn't therte for the first year i owned the car.

Does anyone else have this noise or am i the only one, WAT IS IT!!

philBo
14-12-2007, 06:52 PM
hrmm...maybe you have a leak in your exhaust?

the only other annoying squeel that i can think of is due to the wiring of your audio setup?

connorling
15-12-2007, 02:17 AM
i really think is the air filter, i have it to due to the after market pod air filter, the noice comes whenever i step on the gas.

zco
15-12-2007, 07:43 AM
im sure you would know the diff between your noise and the whistle from your air filter..

i would say a leaking exhaust aswell.

the static noise from your audio system can be heard while on idle aswell.. it would almost sound like your car is supercharged.. but its more of a whistle than air blowing noise

DNYALL
17-12-2007, 06:06 PM
It is deffinately not my stereo but, yeah a leak in the exhaust sounds like the most likely cause, becuase it started when i had my new exhaust put in. I have changed the pod to a different one and the noise is still there so yeah. I will get it checked out.

Also would a small leak in the exhaust be effecting performance at all?

Thanks,
-Mike

Carlitos
17-12-2007, 08:18 PM
i had similar problem last week when i put my 5 zigen extractors in.. found the gasket between cat and extractors was leakin so got new one n that fixed it :)

but i think definately exhaust leak

17-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Does it happen at idle? My EG makes a weird squeeling sound, and it is not from the extractors. Mine seems to come from behind the instrument cluster, like maybe near the master cylinder maybe. Never checked it though, mostly laziness.

DNYALL
17-12-2007, 08:33 PM
nope, doesn't happen at idle, only when the pedal is pressed about half throttle. doesn't matter wat speed. i will get it checked out.

destrukshn
17-12-2007, 08:40 PM
get a workshop to throw it up on a hoist and start it up

englee
19-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Mine does it all the time as well. The sound appears to be coming from the pod. I couldn't really be bothered to fix it as the whistle is pretty cool.

DNYALL
19-12-2007, 06:20 PM
i am getting it checked out tomorrow so we will see, the whistle is starting to anoy me more and more...

omgzilla
19-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Mine makes a bit of a whistle it a certain throttle point. I just put it down to air passing by the throttle plate at a certain angle making the noise.

It was only audible once I put a pod filter on it. The stock airbox muffles the sound completely.

Carlitos
19-12-2007, 10:25 PM
most of the time when u wack a pod on u will get that slight whistle which is the air gettin sucked in.. but did u say it sounded like air was being released?? guess u'll find the error tomorow

aimre
19-12-2007, 10:47 PM
maybe, if ur lucky, u turbo fell in there

vinnY
20-12-2007, 09:44 AM
don't happen to be running a cai as well are you?
mine makes a loud sucking sound between 30-45% throttle at pretty much any gear
more of a hissing sound made inside a pipe, so yes dodgey turbo sound

philBo
20-12-2007, 06:44 PM
im sure hed know if it was his CAI, as he said it didnt occur until recently and hes been running the intake for a while.

Limbo
20-12-2007, 09:48 PM
you sure the squealing is not from a loose fan belt?

DNYALL
23-12-2007, 02:38 PM
ok guys just to be clear, the noise started to happen when i had my 5zigen headers put on. I am running a cold air intake with pod mounted inside the front bar. i tryed changing to different pod but didn't make a difference and it is deff not the fan belt. i have had throttle body cleaned with no change to the sound. I am assuming it is the exhaust and am getting that checked out the week after christmas.

The mechanic said that it is most likely because there is no bracket holding up the end of the headers underneath the car and it is joined to the cat through a moveable flex joint. When i put a bit of torque through the engine it flexes and causes a small air leak at the bottom where the headers join to the cat.

So yeah will hopefully have it fixed next week.

I put the CAI in pretty much a week after i got the car and am pretty sure the noise wasn't around then. Hard to say though cos it was soo long ago.