PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust finisher damage - what to look out for

chylld
15-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Thought i'd post up a picture of what's happened to my exhaust finishers after 20 months of ownership so that you guys know what to look for. mine's at the point where the right one will consistently slip off bit by bit and will have to be readjusted every week or two.

http://temp.jw.id.au/deformed.jpg

As you can see the right one has its bolt bracket bent back, causing it to lose grip on the exhaust pipe itself. I've done no offroad driving / anything of the sort, only normal entering/leaving driveways every morning and evening.

I reported this to Scotts Honda Artarmon who told me that yes it is deformed, however they refused to fix it anymore; it has been adjusted twice before and replaced once.

I guess this is a normal occurrence however, evidenced by the statement of one service staff Nick from Scotts Honda Artarmon who told me that he has (and I quote) : "I've grounded many customers' Civic Sports entering and leaving my own driveway at home; it's normal."

dmx
15-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Thought i'd post up a picture of what's happened to my exhaust finishers after 20 months of ownership so that you guys know what to look for. mine's at the point where the right one will consistently slip off bit by bit and will have to be readjusted every week or two.

As you can see the right one has its bolt bracket bent back, causing it to lose grip on the exhaust pipe itself. I've done no offroad driving / anything of the sort, only normal entering/leaving driveways every morning and evening.

I reported this to Scotts Honda Artarmon who told me that yes it is deformed, however they refused to fix it anymore; it has been adjusted twice before and replaced once.

I guess this is a normal occurrence however, evidenced by the statement of one service staff Nick from Scotts Honda Artarmon who told me that he has (and I quote) : "I've grounded many customers' Civic Sports entering and leaving my own driveway at home; it's normal."

first, the bolt looks diff with mine. same age, 22 months, but my bolts haven't got rusted yet. still galvanised color.
2nd, mine finisher extremely strong bolted. when installed my body kit, need to adjust, very hard to removed. those finishers should slide very tightly with the exhaust pipe(the shape inside finishers design to just fit tight with exhaust pipe- so even without bolt, it's still hardly to move)

if u have to adjust every week, better u weld that finisher or glue with zero/liquid nail glue.

denot
17-12-2007, 09:13 AM
first, the bolt looks diff with mine. same age, 22 months, but my bolts haven't got rusted yet. still galvanised color.
2nd, mine finisher extremely strong bolted. when installed my body kit, need to adjust, very hard to removed. those finishers should slide very tightly with the exhaust pipe(the shape inside finishers design to just fit tight with exhaust pipe- so even without bolt, it's still hardly to move)

if u have to adjust every week, better u weld that finisher or glue with zero/liquid nail glue.

DMX, i thought your one is FD1? That is why its diff i think...

chylld, I havent check mine but now I think I will bring it to my mechanic (yup, I dont trust Honda services after what happened on my 1st and 2nd service there) and ask him to check for me.

dmx
17-12-2007, 07:55 PM
DMX, i thought your one is FD1? That is why its diff i think...

chylld, I havent check mine but now I think I will bring it to my mechanic (yup, I dont trust Honda services after what happened on my 1st and 2nd service there) and ask him to check for me.

FD1 share same exhaust with FD2. same shape pipe. even the finisher (optional for FD1) is FD2 finisher.

JaCe
17-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Mine is also fine but it's less than 6 months old on the FD1.

Does anyone know if the FD2 is factory fitted finisher or dealer fit? Maybe just a poor install job?

Ryda
17-12-2007, 09:04 PM
sorry for being noob but wat does FD1 and FD2 mean?

denot
18-12-2007, 08:37 AM
FD1 share same exhaust with FD2. same shape pipe. even the finisher (optional for FD1) is FD2 finisher.

hmmm my uncle's VTI, and other uncle VTI-L finisher are different to my sports though... :confused:

markCivicVti
18-12-2007, 09:24 AM
sorry for being noob but wat does FD1 and FD2 mean?

FD1s are the 8th gen Civic Vti and Vti-L - both have R18 (1.8ltr) engines.
FD2s are the 8th gen Civic Sports - has the K20 (2.0ltr) engine.

FD1/FD2 is what is called the chasis code.

JaCe
18-12-2007, 07:09 PM
FD1s are the 8th gen Civic Vti and Vti-L - both have R18 (1.8ltr) engines.
FD2s are the 8th gen Civic Sports - has the K20 (2.0ltr) engine.

FD1/FD2 is what is called the chasis code.

+rep for n00bs. good stuff.

To add to that, there's also the FD2R (Type R Civic), FN2R (European Type R Hatch Civic) and not sure on the FD3/FD4. One of them is the Hybrid, and the other is the 1.6L model (not available in Aus but more common in Asia where road tax is directly proportionate to engine capacity).

Furthermore, you'll find that we talk about Singaporean and Malaysian Civics alot since the guys over there tend to go pretty crazy with modifying new cars (due to lack of local warranty anyhow) and most of them have the FD2 (since the price difference between an FD1 and FD2 is very small since the cost of the cars is so high due to tariffs/taxes thus being a good incentive to just buy the FD2 over there).

dmx
19-12-2007, 03:30 PM
hmmm my uncle's VTI, and other uncle VTI-L finisher are different to my sports though... :confused:
really?when i add the finisher (first time), the sales told me FD1+Fd2 same exhaust. also when i bought second pair, the parts department said same too.
is FD2 finisher oval shape or completely round shape ?
hard to see from the pic (first thread)