PDA

View Full Version : Crank Pulley Bolt (PIC)

wynode
17-08-2004, 05:44 PM
The D crank pulley bolt is a bit of a weak one.......

wynode
17-08-2004, 05:46 PM
So do a nice rev match before you drop it into second :)

Psyklops
17-08-2004, 06:00 PM
did that happen from not enuff revs (if any) on a downchange did it? sheeettt lucky I always double declutch ..but this is something to take on board...not a good result to have!

wynode
17-08-2004, 06:08 PM
IT's known to be quite weak this bolt.

It actually snapped when I was just parking my car......but as a result of metal fatique over a period of time. The night before though I was giving it a bit around some notorious corners. I'm just lucky it didn't snap when I was in woop woop!

You basically loose all your accessories and just hope you can get the left over bit out OK :)

ECU-MAN
17-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Hmm not good.

I have seen many high Km Hondas in the past, but never seen that bolt snap the way you described it. over tightening could cause that. but I don't see how driving the pants off you car could contribute to the bolt snapping. if anything its more common for belts to be over tightened and snap the crankshaft.

those bolts can be a beauch to get off. some dodgy mechanics heat em up with the oxy to help loosen them, or over tighten them. eg sit there for ever with the rattle gun tightening it.(which weakens the bolt. ) its ment to be tightened with a special tool to lock the pulley and a tension wrench to about 220 Nm. also seen people tighten them by placing a braker bar on the bolt and turn the engine over.

mr crex
17-08-2004, 11:15 PM
yes I had the same thing happen ... and it happened on my way to my mechanics to get a service of all times ... this was less then a year ago just before I did b16a swap, now the d16a8 engine sits in the garage collecting dust.

wynode
18-08-2004, 10:11 AM
There's a handful of D-series owners who have this problem.......and its not just the result of a one of spirited driving session, but rather metal fatigue over a period of time.

BTW, the crank pulley bolt has not been touched for well over 40-50K kms.

MRJDM
18-08-2004, 11:07 AM
wynode how did you get out the bit that snapped off