PDA

View Full Version : noob question

Lukey
15-12-2007, 06:04 PM
ok everyone, i got my car back from being serviced and on my tax invoice it says that my "Right hand c/v boot split"

what does that mean? does it need to be fixed urgently?

shadou
15-12-2007, 06:06 PM
it means the rubber boot has spilt and the CV grease is ****ing all over the underbody of the RH side of the car. better to replace, isn't that expensive.

Lukey
15-12-2007, 06:18 PM
What does CV mean? Will any mechanic be able to do that? Does it need to done urgently?

Simmo2302
15-12-2007, 07:14 PM
i dont kno what CV means but its a main ball-type joint on the steering.

if the ubber boot is split the grease inside will leak out, and rust may form on the joint making the car harder to steer

on my old 84 colt with conventional steering (non power) the steeriong went from being able to steer with my pinky finder to having to grip the wheel and fight it to turn, like driving a tank.

any mechanic can do it, even urself if u r mechanically minded enough.

not needed urgently but definitely within a month or two

95civic
15-12-2007, 07:15 PM
CV stands for Constant Velocity. When they say the boot has split its the outter cover ( the black rubber boot ) that has split. Some places will tell you that it is the JOINT that is gone, however this is not always the case. I was told that my joint had gone, when pulled apart it was only the boot, took the boot off and made sure the joint was in good condition and replaced it with a new boot and greese. Only cost something like $11 per boot.

shadou
15-12-2007, 07:21 PM
it is a very simple procedure, I think bursons and generic auto parts store should stock these rubber boots, I know they stock the steering rack boots so should be same case, and just reapply some grease.

NAY
15-12-2007, 11:36 PM
As someone mentioned its a rubber boot that covers the constant velocity joint on your driveshafts (not steering arms).
They are there to keep dirt out and grease in. Drive with them split for too long and you will fill the joint up with dirt etc and ruin it. You will notice when they are buggered that you will get a click at a regular interval while turning one direction or the other.

You are best getting it done in the next week before the joint is cactus. A boot is cheap (with labour should be <$100). A new cv joint (a lot of places will convince you its cheaper to replace the driveshaft including inner and outer joint) will run a few hundred (did on mazdas i have owned anyway).

As for the question, yes do it asap (reasonably soon anyway) and any mechanic should be able to do it without a worry.

teh_mechanic
16-12-2007, 10:11 AM
yeah do it soon,better to replace the boot (rubber cover for the constant velocity joint) for under $100 then to get dirt in your CV joint,wearing it and needing to replace the entire driveshaft for a higher amount of money