PDA

View Full Version : Keyless entry no longer working

Alpine
16-12-2007, 11:04 AM
The keyless entry central locking in my 1999 Civic Coupe has stopped working.

It is a Vision aftermarket keyless entry unit fitted by the Honda dealership at the time of purchase, however I don't believe that is the cause of the fault.

The indicator lights still flash normally when I press the button and I can see the door locks trying to move but it's like it doesn't have the strength to move the lock all the way to the locked/unlocked position.

I can still use my key to manually lock/unlock the car and this still operates the central locking just fine.

I can then safely assume it is probably the central locking motor that operates the lock in the driver's door that has become faulty? Is it just a standard looking motor which I can replace with any aftermarket unit or is it different? If it's just a straight swap over procedure then I'll have a crack at replacing it myself (assuming it sounds like the motor has failed).

Any experts on this topic?

Kiz_EG6
16-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Sometimes the actuator shifts over time as screws loosen and it won't have the full stroke to unlock the door!

I had this problem with my DC2, luckily i have the stinger alarm repair guys on hand any time ;)
Took them bout 5 min to get inside the door and tighten it all up, A1 now :)

Alpine
16-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Hmm that's a good point, I didn't think of that. I guess I'll just have to try and take the door panel off and have a look around. Unfortunately I don't have such good friends who work in the industry that are on hand for me! :(

Kiz_EG6
16-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Hmm that's a good point, I didn't think of that. I guess I'll just have to try and take the door panel off and have a look around. Unfortunately I don't have such good friends who work in the industry that are on hand for me! :(

Yeah, useful...

But yeah, don't let it deter you, you should be able to get the door skin off pretty easy (just a few screws and some gentle persuasion) once you are in, you can use your remote and see what is failing.
Then it's just a matter of tightening her up.

If you find that the actuator is completely dead, then a replacement won't cost you the earth anyway, and should be an easy change over :)

tinpis
06-12-2008, 07:18 PM
New in here and new to Honda
Wife has just bought an 01 Civic Vi hatch
Except for the rear offside passenger and the hatch which will work by keyless or putting the key in the lock The drivers door will only work manually.
The hatch and the rear pax door open pressing the keyless hatch button
What a mess