PDA

View Full Version : f22 pistons - 95 accord engine noise

28RAG
17-08-2004, 08:19 PM
does anyone else out there have a f22 engine that makes a lot of "ticking" when you drive it, mainly when accelerating? I got my mechanics to check it out and after about the 4th attempt then rang Honda and they said the pistons are an oval shape when cold and when they warm up the goto the full circle and if the car isnt used very much over a large time span then freeze up in the oval shape causing the "ticking" noise i love and adore.... :mad: ....does anyone else have this problem and did you manage to fix it or quieten it?

Thanks

Dave

h22a accord
18-08-2004, 07:37 AM
oval pistons? WTF, I've never heard of it before!!!

My old f22b made a bit of ticking but it wasnt enough to worry me, i'd say it was the tappets anyways.

Dominik
18-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Actually, i was thinking about going to see a mechanic for mine... My car sounds like a tractor! Its just that the engine is pretty loud at idle for a 'prestige' car. ticking, tapping, etc, it is getting annoying.

Maybe i have that too? Wonder how much for a replacement F22B?

poid
18-08-2004, 09:44 AM
sounds like tappets mate, get em adjusted ;)

Dominik
18-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Ooh, i hope so... there's only 8 of them, right? My soarer needed them adjusted, but with 32 to adjust i was looking at over $1000 in labour alone!

dundas
18-08-2004, 01:19 PM
ho wmuch is it to be adjusted... F22b replacement :o... just get a H22 conversion :D

ECU-MAN
18-08-2004, 04:21 PM
does anyone else out there have a f22 engine that makes a lot of "ticking" when you drive it, mainly when accelerating? I got my mechanics to check it out and after about the 4th attempt then rang Honda and they said the pistons are an oval shape when cold and when they warm up the goto the full circle and if the car isnt used very much over a large time span then freeze up in the oval shape causing the "ticking" noise i love and adore.... :mad: ....does anyone else have this problem and did you manage to fix it or quieten it?

Thanks

Dave

its true what the Dealer said. its normal for these engines to be loud when cold. they sound like a diesle when cold. these engines are 16 valve. adjusting the valve clearnces will only help a little if not at all. in the late 90' swhen these things where still under warranty Honda were doing short blocks replacements for the customers who complained the most. like I said b4 NORMAL

4thGenExi
18-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Yeah I have an F22A in mine. Noisy until the motor warms up then its perfectly ok

Apple
18-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi guys,
yeh, I get that 'ticking' noise in my 95 VTi too, when I accelerate. Thought it was only mine that has that problem. My question is, if I don't adjust the tappets, and just run it the way it is,,, apart from annoying the hell out of me with the ticking, will there be any damage to the engine?

thanks,
Alan

ECU-MAN
18-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Hi guys,
yeh, I get that 'ticking' noise in my 95 VTi too, when I accelerate. Thought it was only mine that has that problem. My question is, if I don't adjust the tappets, and just run it the way it is,,, apart from annoying the hell out of me with the ticking, will there be any damage to the engine?

thanks,
Alan

No you wont damage your engine. just remember tappets should be done every 20k.

h22a accord
19-08-2004, 07:58 AM
i have a spare f22b1 lying around if anyone wants. going cheap. it went really good. enough power to break the diff and spit it out the side of the gearbox lol

It didnt make any difference if the motor was cold or not it just had the slight tappet noise.

poid
19-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Ooh, i hope so... there's only 8 of them, right? My soarer needed them adjusted, but with 32 to adjust i was looking at over $1000 in labour alone!

There's 16, but its literally a 10 min job to check the clearances.

As ECU-MAN says, they should be adjusted every 20,000km

As an aside, my old man managed to damage the valve seats in his ute because the tappets were NEVER adjusted. Stoopid datto 200B engines :)

28RAG
19-08-2004, 06:38 PM
ok i just wanted to see if i had a dodgy engine, but seeing everyones does it i guess thats ok-ish. still an ugly noise. it went away when i put new oil in it, but came back about 10 min later.

ohwell that sucks

ECU-MAN
19-08-2004, 08:18 PM
ok i just wanted to see if i had a dodgy engine, but seeing everyones does it i guess thats ok-ish. still an ugly noise. it went away when i put new oil in it, but came back about 10 min later.

ohwell that sucks

did you change the filter ???

28RAG
20-08-2004, 11:10 PM
yeah new oil filter, oil and air filter

redB
08-10-2005, 04:28 PM
ye 96 honda accord did to, it eventually drove me nuts and I sold it

the car had 192,000ks and the cost of repairs wasnt justified, one mechanic told me it was the tappers and another that it was piston slap

but for a prestige car, which is meant to have a 'turbine smooth' engine, its the most damn annoying noise, esp when the car is cold and you are accelerating. last straw came when i drove my friends 96 corolla on a very cold night and it was smoother and quieter than the accord >:|

but from what honda said, and the sounds its classic piston slap, basically the pistons when cold are smaller then the cylinder wall and expand when warmer hence the oval shape etc

Mike_
08-10-2005, 05:24 PM
This has got to be the oldest thread I've ever seen.

But just out of curiosity, what did you do about this one 28RAG?

aaronng
08-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Just to note, I've seen Mercedes 230Es (the gen just before they named it E230 instead) that sound like a diesel even though it was a petrol engine! Clearances do go out of spec eventually and you'll have to replace them.

redB
09-10-2005, 06:22 PM
well piston slap is quite common to 2.2l engines with a lot of k's

but I've also heard some newish C class engines at idle, which weren't diesel version and they sound awful! I'm talking about 2001 and later models aswell! Sounds craptastical, beemers on the other hand are pretty smooth

MIRZ
10-10-2005, 01:15 PM
No you wont damage your engine. just remember tappets should be done every 20k.

how much it costs to do these tappets ??? any good mech can do this or only honda does this properly ???

ECU-MAN
11-10-2005, 09:20 AM
probably 1 hour labour charge, and any place that has an idea on how to service cars can do it. but they have to be done right. and with a stone cold engine.

Spoon-Accord
12-10-2005, 08:08 PM
alot of accord do this.. if u get them adjusted.. the sound will still be there but very faint..

its how honda's are.. when the engine is at normal temp.. its semm quieter
when its cold.. its off the hook!!

i had that in my dads accord.. under load.. it makes that tractor noise

even my oddysey does..

u should here a 4 cyl camry then..
sounds like someone caryying chains lolz

just use thicker oil i guess too!!

magnatec.. or something similar

kenny

Spoon-Accord
12-10-2005, 08:10 PM
someone also told me the lifters had noises.. and again someone goes they are hydrulic lifters *shrugs*