PDA

View Full Version : 8th gen FD1 manual issue

oniononline
17-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Hi all Civic 8th manual drivers, just wondering how is your experience with this car's gearbox?

I find the gear shifting is very rough, I can feel the car bump when I shift up, eg: 1 -> 2 etc. 1 to 2 is the worst.

Also on every gear when driving, if I totally release the accelerator and press it again, even slightly, I can feel a small bump too, feels like a gear backlash. To maintain the smoothness, I need to at least keep the throttle on a little bit.

Anyone having the similar experience?

Cheers.

D4rk4n63l
17-12-2007, 02:30 PM
I noticed that when I test drove a Civic VTI-L last week.. mentioned it to the sales guy and he said its just because the the gearbox is new (only done 500+ km). I thought that being new it should be smoother.. my mate's 15 years old EG shifts much better than the FD1

Frost_FD
17-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Yes i have experience that.. but i think you will just have to control it by accelerating abit more.. As for third gear some times it misses for me any one else has a problem?

robytan
17-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Yup got EXACTLY the same problem
Letting go the acceleration and re-accelerate is never smooth

Only had the car for abt 5 months, the engine light on my car was on for a few hours ... I'm taking it back to the dealer to have the engine scanned, dunno if this has got anything to do with this issue here

Anyway, I changed the spark plugs to performance NGK Iridium (cost about $60 for a set of 4), it improves but still can feel it

I reckon the air fuel ratio is not set at the right level, though after asking Honda, they said you cant modify it for this type of civic

oniononline
17-12-2007, 03:58 PM
I had the car for exactly 12 month and done 11000 km and the problem is still there.

And sometimes misses the 3rd gear too!! Had my gears clashed a few times. OMG! Anyone in Melb especially near Easton Honda? I'm thinking of a group visit so they can't blame it is our driving or new transmission fault.

This is unacceptable.

igor
18-12-2007, 07:52 AM
I have exactly the same problem as well, I have a My07 civic and I took it back to the dealer twice this year and they can't feel what I am telling them. I think the problem is in the accelerator pedal (drive by wire crap!) or the engine mounts are too soft....or combination of both.

FallenAngel
22-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I had the car for exactly 12 month and done 11000 km and the problem is still there.

And sometimes misses the 3rd gear too!! Had my gears clashed a few times. OMG! Anyone in Melb especially near Easton Honda? I'm thinking of a group visit so they can't blame it is our driving or new transmission fault.

This is unacceptable.

WOW 12months and 11,000km? I've had mine for 12 months also and guess what... its up to 31,***kms.

Anyways i have the same problem as well, at times i do miss 3rd gear but thats just my shifting.

Regarding the "bump" in the shift, occasionally i get that but only when i get lazy shifting. The way i go around it is that you need to be precise on when you release the clutch again. If you release too late, MOST of the time you'll get the bump. But yes it might be honda's problem considering a few people has the same problem.

Mingy
02-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't have a problem with the FD Civic, smooth as silk.....oh wait....i drive an automatic..(SHAME)! :o

I've done 19,646 kms & its been 14 months. is that alot??

Bob san
02-01-2008, 05:32 PM
had my car since april 06, never missed a gear. shifting is as smooth as it gets. (some people even think its a short shifter).

rk 86 wa
03-01-2008, 08:03 AM
my shifting is fine aswell?

btw ive had my car 11 months and on 30k haha

aaronng
03-01-2008, 08:07 AM
The jerkyness is caused by the electronic throttle. The Euro also has the same "feature". :)

Anyway, I changed the spark plugs to performance NGK Iridium (cost about $60 for a set of 4), it improves but still can feel it

I reckon the air fuel ratio is not set at the right level, though after asking Honda, they said you cant modify it for this type of civic

Aren't the stock plugs already NGK or Denso Iridium? Check your servicing booklet, if it says to change sparkplugs every 100,000 or 120,000km, then you have iridium plugs as stock.

xenfacta
05-01-2008, 01:22 PM
mine was bumpy at first until i learnt how to drive it properly... now its fine... the hardest manual to drive smoothly (stock) is a yaris surprisingly. no clutch travel means that ur always revving like a bastard trying to get going