PDA

View Full Version : jacking hard points

quang
17-12-2007, 06:04 PM
hi guys i want to put my car on car stands where can i jack the car up from on the front? i was thinking the gear box but i don't think that's the right place to do it.

thanks

EKVTIR-T
17-12-2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.skidmore.edu/%7Epdwyer/e/images/jack_points01.gif

SPEEDCORE
17-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Another 2 places I jack my civic up from is the purposely reinforced lil area on the bottom rad support bit (slightly to the right on the EK4.. not sure about other civics)

And the other is from the rear tow hook.

EKVTIR-T
17-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Ye the little round section at the front but not the best spot....

teh_mechanic
17-12-2007, 06:37 PM
not the gearbox and especially not the engine.
These are supported on mounts made to support the weight of the engine and box,if you jack there,they are basically supporting the weight of the entire vehicle,and if you jack under the engine you will probably collapse the sump,not fun.
Go on the side under the sills like in the picture at top or there will be a crossmember running across the front of the car,be careful you get the right bit though,or you will try and jack up on the radiator support or something,that will get messy

quang
17-12-2007, 09:50 PM
the rad support bit is sticking out in between of all plastic covers on the bottom of the car yeah?

where exactly is the front cross-member, is there a middle point? its just a little hard to see cause my car is lowered, i guess i'll have to jack it up on one of the side mounts and have a look.

teh_mechanic
17-12-2007, 09:57 PM
the rad support bit is sticking out in between of all plastic covers on the bottom of the car yeah?

where exactly is the front cross-member, is there a middle point? its just a little hard to see cause my car is lowered, i guess i'll have to jack it up on one of the side mounts and have a look.

i dont know on ek's exactly,teh radiator support will be supporting the radiator,
the crossmember will be a larger bar running along the front that is attatched to the chassis rails.
prob best to jack up on the side.jack one side,put a stand under it,then do other side,then you can have a good look underneath for next time

quang
18-12-2007, 12:08 PM
so you can jack one side then put a stand under the car. awesome. i thought you needed to lift both sides off teh ground then put stands under it. thanks, now i just gotta figure out how to fit both the jack and the stand on the one mount.

bennjamin
18-12-2007, 12:26 PM
so you can jack one side then put a stand under the car. awesome. i thought you needed to lift both sides off teh ground then put stands under it. thanks, now i just gotta figure out how to fit both the jack and the stand on the one mount.

be careful dude...

its best to jack the front point (located on the front radiator support , its two rounded lumps alittle off centre) and then put jack stands on either side on the jack points. Drop the car on the stands and you should be 100% safe.

teh_mechanic
18-12-2007, 04:39 PM
yeah well there you go,bennjamin knows where it is.ive never worked on an ek,i was just assuming.when i said do it side by side,and if you ever do that,its best to go half on 1 side,get stand under there,go all the way up on other side,put stand under there,then go the rest of way on other side and put stand up to where it now is.....but bennjamin has told you where it is at the front,so do that

quang
20-12-2007, 12:30 AM
ah ok, so i was looking at the right point (it has two holes in it aswell yeah?), should i be a bit cautious cause the rad support has been scraped a bit and has a little rust on it? i assuming the answer to that is yes. so i think i'm good. thanks for all your help guys.

bennjamin
20-12-2007, 08:56 AM
should be fine. Just make sure the jack is placed straight and your handbrake is UP. Jack slowly , and dont forget to loosen your wheel nuts IF you are working on that area before hand lol

squish85
29-12-2007, 03:57 AM
Sorry guys.. but what happens if u jack it up in the wrong points ? e.g. not at the jacking points...

hayashi_1986
29-12-2007, 02:30 PM
You damage your car. Or it drops on you when your working on it. Either case, it's bad (well one worse than the other).

Edit: NO SCISSOR JACKS EITHER! I ALMOST HAD MY LEG CRUSHED THE FIRST TIME I BEGAN DIY'ing!

squish85
29-12-2007, 03:32 PM
well, it was my first time doing it.. I jacked it up and support the car with jackstands on the jackpoints... But i did'nt use the jack point when jacking it up... although for a while about 15mins.. do u think it would have caused major damage ?

thanks

Limbo
29-12-2007, 04:14 PM
you'll see the damage if there is any, it will be stress fractures on the metal areas you jacked up.

ANyone found their jacking point denting in?
I'm working on making a new jacking point. Will post it up on DIY later

shadou
29-12-2007, 04:17 PM
underbody damage, yes I've seen a few side jacking points crumple, mostly from imports dunno why but all the imports I've worked on had side jacking points crumpled

Paul1985
29-12-2007, 05:11 PM
I couldnt find anything to jack off up front on the EG so i do mine side by side.
The rear you can jack up off the towbar thing. Be careful though, this is on an EG, not sure for EK, most likely the same deal.

I wouldnt wanna go off the rad support on the EG, doesnt look as though it would take the weight of the car, must be different on an EK. The x-member is too far back to get a jack under also.. Worst cars to jack up haha, especially when its too low to get your jack under.

lenz
02-01-2008, 06:13 PM
jack it from the tow hook if you dont wana jack it from the rad support.. reason why the side jacking point is crumble on a import cause they use forklift to move the car over jap.. my uncle crx sir is all crumble underneath cause of that

mrwillz
02-01-2008, 06:29 PM
there will be a crossmember running across the front of the car,be careful you get the right bit though,or you will try and jack up on the radiator support or something,that will get messy

Another 2 places I jack my civic up from is the purposely reinforced lil area on the bottom rad support bit (slightly to the right on the EK4.. not sure about other civics)

And the other is from the rear tow hook.

Ye the little round section at the front but not the best spot....

to confirm, is this (once exposed front end, no bumper) the section along the bottom of the mainframe,and there is a lil section the to right of the centre. just like a extra groove?

i ask becuz my right lil tow hook thing is a bent and looks ****d up

shadou
02-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I jack mine from the front cross member, there is a small section which is slightly protruding from the rest of the frame on EG's in the middle

quang
07-01-2008, 11:52 AM
to confirm, is this (once exposed front end, no bumper) the section along the bottom of the mainframe,and there is a lil section the to right of the centre. just like a extra groove?

i ask becuz my right lil tow hook thing is a bent and looks ****d up

this point, is at the front of the car a little to the right like everyone has said, you don't need to take your front bar off its already exposed, its just sticking out of all the plastic undertrays for eks. my best description would be it looks a little like a pigs nose. its a small bump with two holes in it. the service manual says you can use this point to jack the car up on.

take it slow and make sure your jack can lift high enough or you can't put the stands under.

hayashi_1986
07-01-2008, 01:22 PM
this point, is at the front of the car a little to the right like everyone has said, you don't need to take your front bar off its already exposed, its just sticking out of all the plastic undertrays for eks. my best description would be it looks a little like a pigs nose. its a small bump with two holes in it. the service manual says you can use this point to jack the car up on.

take it slow and make sure your jack can lift high enough or you can't put the stands under.

Also, I know for a fact that the cheap ass jacks from AutoBahn don't go high enough for the jacks they sell lol. This is on an EG btw, but I don't think it'll be any different for other cars.

Cheers!

Limbo
07-01-2008, 01:30 PM
nah i'm taking about the front jacking point. I've noticed mine was denting in from being jacked too much(no punk intended) so i've made a new and improved one that is solid. My mechanic told me the car would like crumble first before that point now. I'll post a pick when i get my camera back

hooyn
02-02-2008, 09:07 PM
anyone jacked there euro? i wanna DIY exhaust.

where can i find these car stands also ?