PDA

View Full Version : Gauges Install

squish85
18-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

Hi all, I recently purchase some car gauges and really need help on 2 matters... :)

1. Where can I install them so that the cops won't come stopping me whereever i go ? I was hoping to mount them on my dash .. as indicated in the picture...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k14/jeffwu85/dash.jpg

Would i get into trouble for mounting it there ? if not.. where ?

2. Would a mechanic be qualified to install car gauges ? or would a car audio installer be better ? they both charge the same hourly rate

3. What's the ballpark figure to install 3 gauges ? Boost, Vacuum, Voltage

Many thanks to those who can help..

:)

turbo convert
18-12-2007, 12:17 PM
1.well as i am aware with gauges they must not be sitting highter than the dash, so you might get away with it providing they sit lower than the top of dash..depends on the size of your gauge and holders.........i think will be depending on the policeman/woman

2. anyone could install the gauges they are very simple to hook up maybe you should give it ago yourself!!!! otherwise take it any place really who has done it before, i think the only prob with mechnaic they might not car to much about the finsh as for mounting the gauge depends where you go.

3. Boost, Vacuum, Voltage - to me this is two gauges boost and vacum are the same gauge. boost only on turbo cars!
dont know how much they would charge assume ballpark $100

philBo
18-12-2007, 01:41 PM
try and install them in the DIN slot, or somewhere along the middle console id personally say

Boban
18-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I've got mine on the a-pillar, so far i haven't had any problems (had them on for close to 2 years) but i want to move them into one of the din slots, but i can't find a din holder :(, btw installation is pretty simple mate, did mine myself vacuum/boost are the same process not sure about the volts but i'm guessing one goes to +ve and one to -ve. I got a vacuum and a tacho in mine

teh_mechanic
18-12-2007, 04:47 PM
mounting them up there would require a pretty technical fibreglass housing or some pretty trashy in my oppinion guage cup holder things with the wires going up to them showns.
I put mine in the din space in my eg civic and got an eg6 double din unit for the stereo.
Cheap as.Cut a din size piece out of mdf with a jigsaw,measure gaps and position of where gauges will sit,mark,cut the holes out,then cover with any fabric.Pretty simple.Its hard to cut the holes nicely but the guages normally have an overlap that cover the cut anyway so it looks nice n snug.then i just put a little L bracket on each side of the wood and screwed it in behind the dash.looks neater than some guages just sitting randomly on the dash

Boban
18-12-2007, 06:46 PM
did you put it on the original din hole or in the double din one. I want to put it in the double din one, i got one pocket there and a flat panel to cover up the other half.
I got my gauges in one of those a-pillar gauge holders, fit's ok considering it was made for a mazda, but yeah i wanna move them. Might give the mdf thing a go and make one myself. I remember seeing one of them for sale a while ago but haven't come across it again.

Squish sorry for hijacking your thread mate

xntrik
19-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Is your car turbo charged?
You could've gotten a boost/vacuum gauge in one, to save yourself from installing 3 gauges.

squish85
19-12-2007, 03:10 AM
Great response from you guys.. I really learnt alot since joining this forum..

Well my vtir is not turbo charged... That's what i said to the person who sold me the gauges.... He insisted that even a NA car like a DC2 would have some boost to actually have the gauge moving.. Guess i got ripped off a little... :(

If vacuum and boost are the same.. would I have problem installing them together on the car ? I'm assuming that there's only one place to put the sensor if it was the same thing... Might consider exchanging it for something else... If not sell it ... :S

Many thanks to all :)
P.S : No worries Boban :)

turbo convert
19-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Great response from you guys.. I really learnt alot since joining this forum..

Well my vtir is not turbo charged... That's what i said to the person who sold me the gauges.... He insisted that even a NA car like a DC2 would have some boost to actually have the gauge moving.. Guess i got ripped off a little... :(

If vacuum and boost are the same.. would I have problem installing them together on the car ? I'm assuming that there's only one place to put the sensor if it was the same thing... Might consider exchanging it for something else... If not sell it ... :S

Many thanks to all :)
P.S : No worries Boban :)

yeh the guy stooged you as your car is n/a you will get no movement about 0 on the boost gauge cause the way it work 0 and above is boost and o and under i.e -30 is vacum, but hence this is the same as your vacum gauge. Do not install the boost gauge as that is just silly! use vacum, volts and change the other to oil pressure or temp!

squish85
19-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Guess I would try and change it... EDIT no sales buy noobies...

Anyone ever tried installing triple gauges using the centre hood ? Something like the one shown in the picture ...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k14/jeffwu85/gaugeholder.jpg

Would I be able to avoid cop attention or a yellow sticker if i used that to mount my gauges ?

Many thanks

Killa From Manila
19-12-2007, 06:54 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC00039.jpg

EUR003act
19-12-2007, 07:16 PM
legally gauges cant sit higher than the top of the steering wheel....

squish85
19-12-2007, 07:25 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC00039.jpg

No offense but... What are you trying to tell me ? Do you have those for sale ? or are you saying that the particular setup is totally legal and would keep my car away from the cops...?

teh_mechanic
19-12-2007, 09:48 PM
legally gauges cant sit higher than the top of the steering wheel....

if thats true then yes that would be legal for the ones on the dash,but not the one on the a-pillar to the right.

im sure you could buy a 3 guage pod like that to put on the dash,is hard to make it blend into the dash though and not look like its just been plonked there kinda thing.pretty good when done right....and as everyone seems to be forgetting,they are in your clear view...thats what they are there for right,not just blingin,thats why its not that great to be mountin it down in the double din spot,thats too much of a there for showing off and not function thing for me

or theres these cups,again,kinda untidy (thumbnail image)
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7421/03vx0vc2.th.jpg (http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=03vx0vc2.jpg)

and heres my car with the din placed guages i was talking bout
I know my gauges arnt exactly properly in view,but its the only clean install i could work out because ive got that speaker pod in the middle top of dash:
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4841/1001426tw8.th.jpg (http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1001426tw8.jpg)

philBo
20-12-2007, 07:33 AM
No offense but... What are you trying to tell me ? Do you have those for sale ? or are you saying that the particular setup is totally legal and would keep my car away from the cops...?

ease up dude..he was just giving you some idea how people could mount their gauges. as for keeping your car away from the cops, unless yours is a stocker then you might have a bit of trouble to begin with.

as previously mentioned, mounting them in the DIN would in my opinion be the most discrete area to do so. maybe you could even fabricate some type of cover for them when you dont need to use it.

Killa From Manila
20-12-2007, 04:19 PM

the 3 guages in the middle is the perfect example for what u want, the holder is made for a dc2 so it fits perfectly with no dodgy messing around n it looks good. also legal coz its lower than the highest point of ur dash

squish85
20-12-2007, 04:27 PM
ease up dude..he was just giving you some idea how people could mount their gauges. as for keeping your car away from the cops, unless yours is a stocker then you might have a bit of trouble to begin with.

as previously mentioned, mounting them in the DIN would in my opinion be the most discrete area to do so. maybe you could even fabricate some type of cover for them when you dont need to use it.

Sorry if i sounded too tense.. Well in short... would i actually get a yellow sticker for having those gauges on my car ? Has anyone ever gotten tagged for having these gauges ?

:(

EUR003act
20-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Sorry if i sounded too tense.. Well in short... would i actually get a yellow sticker for having those gauges on my car ? Has anyone ever gotten tagged for having these gauges ?

:(

i got tagged for having 5" monster tacho... i was told "anything higher than top of steering wheel is illegal"

beeza
20-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm personnally gonna mount my 2 guages here (Red part):
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/dash.jpg

I will go to a plastics place (industrial area) and get a piece made up to fit in there,say 15cm x 5cm and get 2 holes cut in there for the guages.Then have to find a way to stick it on there,some sort of glue I guess.I want to make a cover too for when I'm parked somewhere at night :thumbsup:

turbo convert
20-12-2007, 08:14 PM
squish85 by rights as stated earlier annything lower than the highest point of the dash should be ok, but depends on the police officer you get.
he can still write it up even if he is wrong.
the question to you is are the gauges worth it.......................

philBo
20-12-2007, 10:16 PM
apart from the din, the only other place i can suggest is to change the cluster surround with the ones that can fit 2 guages (one on either side). but that only allows 2 guages and you want 3...tricky tricky..

destrukshn
20-12-2007, 10:20 PM
2 of his gauges are the same anyways practically
lol
vacuum and boost.
if you want soemthing that looks pretty, go get a air fuel one.
and use the volt one, and then sell the other 2.

squish85
20-12-2007, 11:59 PM
2 of his gauges are the same anyways practically
lol
vacuum and boost.
if you want soemthing that looks pretty, go get a air fuel one.
and use the volt one, and then sell the other 2.

Alrighty, I managed to exchange my gauges.. Got the white Led ones with Rpm, Oil Pressure and Voltage.. I wanted Oil pressure, Vacuum and voltage, which they did'nt have as a complete set.. Guess i'll have to compromise...

Another question... with or without the moulds, my gauges would still sit lower than the steering wheel right ?

Boban
26-12-2007, 02:20 PM
I was bored today so i moved mine from the a pillar down to the din hole. I know they are not exactly in the centre, and there is a perfectly good explanation for that......i'm really, really lazy :D. Nah 'm gonna put some switches on the left hand side ;)
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/80ban/IMG_0756.jpg

squish85
26-12-2007, 04:38 PM
I was bored today so i moved mine from the a pillar down to the din hole. I know they are not exactly in the centre, and there is a perfectly good explanation for that......i'm really, really lazy :D. Nah 'm gonna put some switches on the left hand side ;)
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/80ban/IMG_0756.jpg

Looks awesome.. btw.. why do you have TCS in your car ? is that Traction Control System ? What model of civic are you running..?

Boban
27-12-2007, 07:32 AM
it's just a switch i put in the spare hole. I came across it on one of JDM front cuts and since the owner didn't want it he gave it to me, should have taken the JDM ac controls too :(. I got a EH9, aus VTi sedan

squish85
27-12-2007, 06:34 PM
i see.. well.. very nice car indeed.. !!!