PDA

View Full Version : Roadworthy certificate with ABS problem, possible?

MIRZ
20-12-2007, 07:32 AM
i am going to buy a second hand car, car seems in very good condition. but owner (seller) does not want to go for roadworthy, he wants me to do it.

only problem i have found so far in car that its ABS light stays ON. it could be sensor or ABS module.

but in VIC can it get roadworthy pass with this current issue, or it needs to be fixed before i can get roadworthy certificate?

94vtirozguy
20-12-2007, 08:08 AM
when the people selling the car do not provide a roadworthy, it usually means they know the car is up for some major work / costs which they do no want to pay for as they are not wanting the car.

bennjamin
20-12-2007, 09:02 AM
id avoid this car UNLESS you ask the seller to provide full road worthy compliance.

BlitZ
20-12-2007, 09:06 AM
he you offer to pay for the road worthy cert? or did you expect him to pay?

could be faded brake pads

MIRZ
20-12-2007, 09:33 AM
he has complete log book record from dealer, and i rang dealer to find it out. dealer has no ABS problem record with them.

according to seller it recently started. but i just rang seller, and he is happy to take his car back to same dealer and get it checked and get a quote for how much it will cost to get it fixed.

according to dealer car cannot get roadworthy certificate in VIC if ABS lights in stays ON.

Kiz_EG6
20-12-2007, 01:56 PM
he has complete log book record from dealer, and i rang dealer to find it out. dealer has no ABS problem record with them.

according to seller it recently started. but i just rang seller, and he is happy to take his car back to same dealer and get it checked and get a quote for how much it will cost to get it fixed.

according to dealer car cannot get roadworthy certificate in VIC if ABS lights in stays ON.

ABS usually means big $$$, i would not touch it until you have physical proof that he has had the problem fixed... like a receipt from a workshop or something!!

BlitZ
20-12-2007, 03:14 PM
he might just remove the light bulb and say its fixed.. hahaah test it out

teh_mechanic
20-12-2007, 04:02 PM
yeah he could just remove that bulb.that was a particularly sneaky idea.if you short out the 2 wire ecu diagnostic pin (theres a writeup in diy) it will flash any engine trouble codes but the abs will also flash if it has a trouble code,then you find out what that code means....unless he takes the bulb out haha

Jackman
20-12-2007, 08:56 PM
lol my friend had the same problem with his dc2 vtir
all you need to do to pass road worthy is remove the fuse and fix it later on
he said somefing wrong with the high presure gasket of the abs unit or somefing

MIRZ
20-12-2007, 10:22 PM
i asked him to bring on paper from dealer exactly whats wrong and how much it will cost to fix it.

now it might take some time due to xmas, but he promised me to get this on paper before xmas.

according to dealer front breakpads were replaced 2 months ago, but there was no abs issue at that time.

panda[cRx]
21-12-2007, 12:38 PM
the abs does not need to be functioning to pass roadworthy in victoria as it does not interfere with the brake operation and is not a safety issue.