PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Replacement?

EuroSteve
20-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Has anyone done it, and was it as involved as the workshop manual makes out? (ie, special tools, relieving fuel pressure with the HDS??)

I just picked up an '05 Euro a few weeks ago, and i'm slowly discovering all the things Honda hasn't done during the schedules services...:(

Cheers,
Steve

PS. Site Admin, any chance you can add the XPS file type to the allowed attachment list? I wanted to attach the relevant workshop pages to this post.

johnprocter
20-12-2007, 05:24 PM
what file extension is XPS for?

EuroSteve
20-12-2007, 06:21 PM
-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_Paper_Specification
XPS is an emerging document standard, similar to PDF. Vista has built in "Print to XPS" support, very handy. XPS files can be viewed in IE7 or via a standalone XPS viewer.

S.

aaronng
20-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Fuel filter is meant to be changed every 4 years. You don't need to change it yet.

EUR003act
20-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Fuel filter is meant to be changed every 4 years. You don't need to change it yet.

four years or 80,000km :D

tknova
21-12-2007, 06:09 AM

I was thinking the same thing. 4 Years / 80,000km is a long time.

Is Honda doing this to drop servicing costs? I would of been under the impression the 'standard' time would be 2 Years / 40,000km?

I was considering changing mine at 40,000, Is it worth it?

EuroSteve
21-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I was thinking 4 years seemed pretty long. My Euro has ~70,000 on the clock, but considering I only just bought it, i'd like to replace all the filters, etc for piece of mind.

I was at honda picking up a Pollen filter (it certainly had never been changed!), and without doing any research, picked up a fuel filter also ($49). It's looking like i'll just get Honda to do it at 80,000 when I get them to check valve clearences, etc. I wonder if Honda Spare parts will give me my money back?

JohnL
21-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Do a volume flow test, if it flows to spec or better then it shouldn't need replacement, regardless of age. If it flows to spec then it's not restrictive, and will also allow correct pressure. If it only just flows to minimum spec you might want to consider changing it, it might not flow well enough for much longer.

It should be easy to perform the test. Detach the rubber hose section of the fuel return line (which starts at the fuel pressure regulator) where the rubber hose attaches to the metal pipe that returns to the tank, and place the end of the hose into a graduated container. Switch engine on (i.e actually run it) and count how many seconds it takes to flow the correct amount of fuel into your container (you'll have to find the spec for yourself, I don't know it for your car).

I haven't done this in a while, so can't remember offhand what the min flow rate for my particular car is (CB7), but from failing memory I think it's in the order of 1/2 litre a minute. In any case last time I checked my flow was way over the minimum (whatever it is), and the filter is geriatric! Be aware that the flow may be so good you have limited time to turn the engine off if you let the level in your catch container get too high, be on your toes or you might spill petrol.

By the way, my CB7 clicked over 250,000km today. Feel like throwing a party for the old girl, well done her, still going stong and doesn't even use any oil!

flipmods
10-01-2008, 01:04 AM
I did the fuel filter on my car but it is not as simple as every other Honda as it is in the fuel tank and is part of the pump holder and Fuel guage sensors holder.
Big job, took me close to an hour to do.
I replaced mine cause I did my Injectors and didn't want to risk it. Lucky I did as the old owner must have been using shiet fuel cause I cut the old filter open and it was brown and mucky.

EUR003act
10-01-2008, 07:31 AM
:D good work buddy!

im gonna do mine when i get back from holiday, also gonna change injectors, spark plugs, oil, and oil filter before my next dyno :p

flipmods
10-01-2008, 09:35 AM
:D good work buddy!

im gonna do mine when i get back from holiday, also gonna change injectors, spark plugs, oil, and oil filter before my next dyno :p
Sorry not sure what is done to your car, but why are you putting new injectors?

EUR003act
10-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Sorry not sure what is done to your car, but why are you putting new injectors?

intake manifold swap, toda headers, ur pulleys, getting skunk2 s2 cams, and i wanna change my injectors to the ones off an ITR so i can upgrade to aftermarket fuel rail...

aaronng
10-01-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't think the S2 cams would max out your current injectors...

Cranial
10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I heared that the Euro's injectors are more than enough for high-tuned NA applications. Only when you go forced induction will you have to replace them. But then again, if you have money to spare, by all means!

EUR003act
10-01-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't think the S2 cams would max out your current injectors...

i dont think they would either, but when people go "what have you done to it?"

id like to reply "i got 750cc injectors, P2R fuel rail, bosch fuel pump, etc"

lol i dont know, maybe im a show pony? :p