PDA

View Full Version : Thermo fan on after shut down

Gards
21-12-2007, 06:24 PM
I have done a search.

96 Accord VTi-S

Occasionally one of my thermo fans for the radiator (might be air con fan) stays on after turning the car completely off. It says on for a few minutes before shutting off.

Is this normal for the accords? Guessing it's to continue to cool the radiator if it hasn't done so before stopping the car? Although the car is no longer running so what's the point?

ECU-MAN
22-12-2007, 01:26 PM
yes its normal

its not to cool the radiator but to remove heat from the engine bay to protect the battery.

Riviera
22-12-2007, 01:27 PM
yup mine do it aswell even my CA 88 accord use to do it, i think it would be
just cooling down on its own...

Riviera
22-12-2007, 01:28 PM
haha u posted just before me, answered it for me aswell

Gards
22-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Great thanks alot guys!!!:thumbsup: Good thinking Honda, heh.:cool: Didn't relise batteries could be so sensitive to heat.

That's a relief cause I had it in the mechanics for some oil seals and my mechanic asked if it usually does that I said no so we thought it was a problem and then he said my temperature gauge was fluctuating and I thought it was all related. The gauge had a problem due to a wiring problem and/or a sensor.

JohnL
22-12-2007, 10:21 PM
yes its normal

its not to cool the radiator but to remove heat from the engine bay to protect the battery.

I learn something new every day! Often wondered why this happens because I know it's pointless for cooling the engine, it doesn't really matter how fast it cools down after it's stopped making heat.

I now feel slightly more enlightened, thanks!

ECU-MAN
23-12-2007, 12:39 PM
when you turn off your engine engine bat temp get higher before they start to drop.

Joeyboy
23-12-2007, 09:06 PM
funny....this started to happen to me last week. its never happened after 2 years of owning my cd5. its just a coincidence that this topic was created...(seems like an episode of the twilight zone).

neway, my cd5 almost clonked out the other day (smoke was coming out of bonnet), then realised that my radiator has lost alot of coolant. leak in radiator hose....fluid loss accumulated over time. but once i've re-filled my radiator (used up almost 2ltr distilled water...yikes!), now the "suspicious-fan-turning-itself-ON-after-switching-off-engine) doesnt happen anymore. maybe it was one way of my radiator saying "HELP!! im running out of fluid!".

try to top-up ur radiator with coolant/distilled water to make sure there's enough in there....seems to have worked for me

Riviera
25-12-2007, 09:40 AM
oooo hose seepage lol i just replaced my top radiator hose it was buldged and about to burst hahaha