PDA

View Full Version : B18C7, swapped into 99' EK Civic.

Parsout
22-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi all!

I'm just wondering, after looking through alot of posts about engine swapping in Honda's, whether anyone knows a good workshop who could do the swap for me? I am in SA, close to city.

Or even, someone who's done it before and would be willing to do it for me for the money it would cost in a workshop?

The car I'm looking at is manual, but my main issues would be with the wiring etc. into the dash, and whether you'd need a new guage cluster.

Essentially, I want to get everything, suspension brakes and engine, from the Type R into the EK civic.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers, Dan.

TODA AU
26-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi all!

I'm just wondering, after looking through alot of posts about engine swapping in Honda's, whether anyone knows a good workshop who could do the swap for me? I am in SA, close to city.

Or even, someone who's done it before and would be willing to do it for me for the money it would cost in a workshop?

The car I'm looking at is manual, but my main issues would be with the wiring etc. into the dash, and whether you'd need a new guage cluster.

Essentially, I want to get everything, suspension brakes and engine, from the Type R into the EK civic.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers, Dan.

Any good mechanic will be able to do the work for you.
If you get use a DC2 R front cut as a basis, you'll have very few issues.
Use DC2 R loom & ECU & connect the the existing EK green plug for dash.
Depending on EK model you have, you may or may not need EK4 chassis side engine mount that attaches to upper pasenger side (cam belt area)
Ditto gear box mount - use EK4
Engine, gearbox, driveshafts etc go straight in.
To use brakes, if EK4, 2mm needs to be machined from inside of caliper bracket for correct spacing.
Purchase DBA rotors for DC2-R with 4 x 100 stud drilled.
(These will need to be ordered, they're not a shelf product)
Depending on EK model, fuel pump upgrade would also be an idea.

Parsout
26-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the great reply!

As it turns out, I have the entire car (Integra R), so I'm probably going to take nearly everything from it, disc brakes, control arms, steering rack - maybe even go so far as fuel tank, pump, lines etc. - everything that looks like it isn't damaged, or too difficult to retrofit to the EK.

It will make for a very well handling, weighted and balanced EK I think.

Cheers, Dan.

barefootbonzai
26-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Use DC2 R loom & ECU & connect the the existing EK green plug for dash.

um WRONG. Shouldn't be giving advice unless you've actually done one.

The DC2R loom will NOT work on an EK. There is no green plug for the dash.

You will need to find yourself a EK4 or EK9 loom for it to work on your EK.

jdmTYPE R
26-12-2007, 04:21 PM

:thumbsup: passenger side engine bracket needs to be changed to a b16a bracket so u can bolt it to the ek mount..that goes for all ek

tRipitaka
26-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Parsout,
give ECU-MAN a pm..
since he's in SA, he might be able to help you out.. and lead you in the right direction..

jimmeh
26-12-2007, 04:26 PM
you will also need the rear bracket from the ek4.....if you wanna use the dc2r rear bracket then you will need change the sub frame as well...
PM me if you want this. i have a few in stock
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/7650/partsbracket4up.jpg

Parsout
26-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Yep, I've contacted ECU-MAN and as yet he has agreed to being the main man behind the conversion, i'm very happy to say, just awaiting a call to organise a start date.

I actually scored the transplantee just the other day, it's a 'lil 'ol white EK Civic CXi Manual.

I'm planning to do essentially a complete conversion to the Type R EK9, only difference being it will have the DC2R brakes, suspension etc. etc. So if there is no 'green plug' then would it be possible to connect up the DC2R loom? If not - I'd definitely be going for the EK9 loom.

In regards to the left side mount and centre mount, I was actually hoping to use all the mounts from the DC2R. So Jimmeh, is the picture you showed of the sub-frame? And, if you really think i'll need one - how much would it set me back?

Cheers all! Dan.

simonnowis
26-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the great reply!

As it turns out, I have the entire car (Integra R), so I'm probably going to take nearly everything from it, disc brakes, control arms, steering rack - maybe even go so far as fuel tank, pump, lines etc. - everything that looks like it isn't damaged, or too difficult to retrofit to the EK.

It will make for a very well handling, weighted and balanced EK I think.

Cheers, Dan.

i think you should only change what is necessary, putting in everything possible wont really make excellent handling and lighter weight.
e.g. itr with bigger brakes will put more weight into the EK, the stock front and rear disc brakes of EK1 are sufficient for a b18c7, just upgrade to ek4 brakes and or get some slotted rotors and good brake pads, should be plenty to stop the car plus less unecessary weight. etc etc...

simonnowis
26-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Yep, I've contacted ECU-MAN and as yet he has agreed to being the main man behind the conversion, i'm very happy to say, just awaiting a call to organise a start date.

I actually scored the transplantee just the other day, it's a 'lil 'ol white EK Civic CXi Manual.

I'm planning to do essentially a complete conversion to the Type R EK9, only difference being it will have the DC2R brakes, suspension etc. etc.

so your going with a b16b??

Parsout
26-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Hi Simonnowis.

I did consider that for a while, but as I have the whole wreck, and still a fair few weeks of holidays off work next year, I figured it'd be a good chance to really get down and dirty with these cars and find out some more.

About 8 years ago I did the same with an old red VN Commo, it was a gusher when I bought it.. But many visits to the exhaust shop, and Leon Vincenzi (probably the maddest V6 scientist you would ever meet in the world) and lots and lots of dollars later, it was a real beast!

I kind of got out of cars after that, but all this talk of conversions and messing with things.. I've been bitten by the bug again :)

The engine is from my Type R write off, which is a B18C7 - So it should go fairly hard in that smaller chassis!

Cheers, D.

simonnowis
26-12-2007, 10:06 PM
yeh a b18c7 into EKgoes alright, there was one forsale awhile ago claiming it went 14's 1/4mile. every consider maybe selling the b series engine and working with K series?
alot more modding potential with the K series engines.

BlitZ
27-12-2007, 01:49 AM

:thumbsup:

you reputatable mechanic?

fatboyz39
27-12-2007, 06:26 AM
you will also need the rear bracket from the ek4.....if you wanna use the dc2r rear bracket then you will need change the sub frame as well...
PM me if you want this. i have a few in stock
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/7650/partsbracket4up.jpg

Thats a blardy B16a cable gearbox engine braket. Thats an crx chasis as well.

You'll need a ek4 engine mount bracket.

TODA AU
27-12-2007, 10:44 AM

You're right, he'll need to use an EK4 or EK9 loom.
(My bad being at home on Boxing Day & not remembering correctly)

As for not having done one...
LOL, good on ya.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you too eh.

barefootbonzai
27-12-2007, 12:36 PM
:thumbsup:

you reputatable mechanic?

lol nar, but i have done over 20 honda engine swaps just for fun, probably more than most workshops around ;)

jimmeh
27-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Thats a blardy B16a cable gearbox engine braket. Thats an crx chasis as well.

You'll need a ek4 engine mount bracket.
u used the photo to illustrate the bracket they need....

u sure thats a bracket for the gearbox????
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/ah789454/mount.jpg

fatboyz39
27-12-2007, 04:46 PM
u used the photo to illustrate the bracket they need....

u sure thats a bracket for the gearbox????
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/ah789454/mount.jpg

yeah and where does it bolt too? Rear of the gearbox.

barefootbonzai
27-12-2007, 05:29 PM
misleading, but yeah it definitely bolts onto the gearbox.

Edgeauto
27-12-2007, 05:41 PM
If all else fails you can buy a new EK4 rear engine mount bracket from a Honda dealer for about $120

jimmeh
27-12-2007, 06:13 PM
misleading, but yeah it definitely bolts onto the gearbox.
my bad boys....i was only thinking of the top bolt..

here is the part number: 50827-S04-N10

Parsout
27-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Awesome, cheers for all the replies.

Yeah, I've ordered an EK9 Type R loom, is there more than 1 loom? I mean, is there an engine loom, and an interior loom - or just one?

So the EK4 brackets are the way to go seems to be the general consensus - do you think it's worth buying new? And if so, do I need all 3 mounts? (driver, passenger, centre rear)

With any luck, I'll be picking up the EK tomorrow - it'll be good to have it cheek to cheek with the Integra so i can see what parts are going to swap easily.

Cheers, D.

jdmTYPE R
27-12-2007, 07:29 PM
make sure the loom is a obd2a loom not obd2b, coz type r ecu is a obd2a

TODA AU
27-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I've ordered an EK9 Type R loom, is there more than 1 loom? I mean, is there an engine loom, and an interior loom - or just one?

EK4~9 loom is just the 1,
It goes from engine (bay) to ECU.

Parsout
27-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Excellent, so it's only one - so that will hook into the DC2R's computer just fine? (As i'm assuming if you use the B18C7 you use it's own personal computer (ECU) too.)

Cheers, D.

CoupeTurbo
27-12-2007, 10:53 PM
yes u must use the type r ecu, or get an aftermarket ecu to suit the b18c7

BlitZ
27-12-2007, 11:31 PM
b16b could be a obd2b
b18c7 will always be obd2a

Parsout
28-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Cool, well I have organised a full loom from a white 2000 Civic Type R - so how do you tell if it's obd2a or obd2b?

Cheers! Dan.

MrKaji
28-12-2007, 08:01 PM
hey im just wondering if that ITR u have is red.. a friend of mine just crashed his recently on Norton Summit...

hehe wondering if its his car..

b18c_crx
28-12-2007, 08:55 PM
does it matter bout the color?

Parsout
28-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi all!

Sorry mate, my 'R was yellow.

So, does anyone have a way of telling whether the loom is obd2a or obd2b?

I had a look around on google and called Honda, but so far it's been a bit inconclusive.

Cheers, D.

barefootbonzai
28-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Don't worry, if it's out of a Civic Type R its' the right one :thumbsup:

BlitZ
01-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Cool, well I have organised a full loom from a white 2000 Civic Type R - so how do you tell if it's obd2a or obd2b?

Cheers! Dan.

100% obd2b