PDA

View Full Version : DA9 engine management

A-man
23-12-2007, 03:48 PM
hey all

i was asking for a brainstorming from u all

im considering purchasing the b18a turbo kit off ebay

it says i should run aftermarket engine management.

is there any piggy back computers i could use instead?
or what are recomended ecus that are good value aswell as having someone to tune it

perferably a piggy back option

Jarkz
23-12-2007, 05:04 PM
a Microtech, Wolf or EMS should suit your requirements.

A-man
23-12-2007, 05:19 PM
can u just go for a piggy back fuel/air ratio computer??

like those avcr i think it is

Edgeauto
23-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Convert to OBD1 if its an 89-91 then you can use hondata, neptune, crome etc. if its a 92-93 then you can just run any of them.

Edgeauto
23-12-2007, 05:53 PM
looking at your profile it should be obd1 already:)

A-man
23-12-2007, 06:09 PM
whats that?

where do i get hondata from and i dont kno of anyone in perth who can tune it?

im looking at buying this has anyone done it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INTEGRA-90-93-T3-T4-FULL-TURBO-UPGRATE-KIT-B18B-B18C_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ013QQite mZ230205046820QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Edgeauto
23-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Basically its the type of ECU. with an obd1 ecu you use your original ecu and add hardware/software to make it tunable. if your car has grey distributor plugs then it and obd1 da9.

GARF
24-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Just a bit of warning be careful when buy cheap turbo's and turbo setups from ebay, as they can be cheap crappy ones from like china which could just give u more hassles in the future. But it looks pretty good. If ya get it happening and installed make sure u post it up. I wanna see the end result with this one;)

A-man
24-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Basically its the type of ECU. with an obd1 ecu you use your original ecu and add hardware/software to make it tunable. if your car has grey distributor plugs then it and obd1 da9.

so who can make it tunable

is this a cheap option? and how do i do it

and i thought if i did this i only had to change the spark plug gap, and make sure the fuel air ratio was fine and not leaning out to detonation...

(aw and maybe lower the compression of the clyinder)

is a b18b and b18c and b18a exhaust ports the same? (i think they are)

A-man
24-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Just a bit of warning be careful when buy cheap turbo's and turbo setups from ebay, as they can be cheap crappy ones from like china which could just give u more hassles in the future. But it looks pretty good. If ya get it happening and installed make sure u post it up. I wanna see the end result with this one;)

i had 'shit' cheap chinese turbos off ebay in my supra and it was the best thing i did they worked great....

but its a bit different in perth to get old turbos worked or even overhauled because theres only one real mob that will do them and they want to charge like a wounded bull....

i think itll b a good thing to do (especially considering the price of a vtir front cut and for only a few extra hp and vtec) i think thats a waste of money personally

these turbos like u said look good... (the manifold looks good to like the last set of dump pipes i bought off ebay for my supra (again)...

thanks for all the surport u guys to ill do it all step by step so everyone knows what happens im gonna do it im cashed up atm and i dont c this being a expensive venture provided the boost isnt to great

they rekon 200hp (thats alot my old supra had 280 or soemthin) and thats alot of wheel spin mite have to upgrade the tyres and suspension to (that tos a cheap venture)

Edgeauto
24-12-2007, 06:26 AM
these (http://www.swcc.com.au/index.aspx) guys are the Hondata dealer for perth.

To check Neptune check here (http://hrtuning.com)

A-man
24-12-2007, 10:10 AM
whats ur opinion on me wanting to turbo charge this engine?

so hondata and neptune are the same thing basicly so this guy in perth should b able to tune it?

im really new to hondas even though ive been on the forums for a while..
most the stuff i kno ive picked up from work or personal interests

Edgeauto
24-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Speak to them but i cant see why they couldnt tune it.

Samm928
28-12-2007, 11:58 AM
lols, theres a reason why honda remains n/a throughout all their cars.. its because its not built for a turbo..

buying a turbo setup with a new tunable ecu/piggy back ecu doesnt hack the pressure with your setup.. as you have to put alot of money changing gaskets, running richer, gear ratio has to change.. personally if i we're to upgrade i would go for an engine upgrade as parts are easier to find. not like if your turbo **ckd up then you gotta wait.. and stuff. where if you just do a proper engine conversion.. it may even result cheaper.. quotes for me for a b16a we're 2650. 3100 dropped in.. personally thats a better way to go in achieving faster speeds... b18b's,b18a's exhaust sizes are different.. i think the b18c's come with a 2.5" all through and are made of titanium/allumiunium or someshit. cant really remember but i got mine largened up using the b18c type r exhaust with a high flow cat and bclub headers.

b18b b18a are very simular engines.. with a turbo setup 1/4mile you'll be looking at 14-15's secs? which is totally dip.. for running a turbo.. my advice if you want to turbo an engine for honda go for single cam vtec.. not a DOHC non vtec/vtec..

just trying to help you out iwth the right decision.
regards

samm

A-man
28-12-2007, 04:16 PM
i think thats bs

i dont know how u could say a turbo isnt better then vtec for the price

a b16 is a smaller engine y would i goto a 1600 from a 1800????

a t3/4 flange has a number of turbo variations. this means if that shitty chinese turbo shits the bed i can goto any speed shop and there will b something to fit that flange with slight mod to exhaust systems, for 3.5k to get a diff motor with a vtec head on it is pointless seeing asthough a turbo wont cost that much with much bigger gains...

the other problem with what ur saying is a sohc???? why? i dont want to go backwards

am i making any sense to u or r u just obsessed with vtec?

as for 1/4 mile times i dont see many hondas doin 14 sec passes even with vtec sohc (wtf) or b16a if it was a civic i would consider a b16 but i just think im working another engine harder for the same power.

correct me if im wrong

EKVTIR-T
28-12-2007, 04:23 PM
lols, theres a reason why honda remains n/a throughout all their cars.. its because its not built for a turbo..

buying a turbo setup with a new tunable ecu/piggy back ecu doesnt hack the pressure with your setup.. as you have to put alot of money changing gaskets, running richer, gear ratio has to change.. personally if i we're to upgrade i would go for an engine upgrade as parts are easier to find. not like if your turbo **ckd up then you gotta wait.. and stuff. where if you just do a proper engine conversion.. it may even result cheaper.. quotes for me for a b16a we're 2650. 3100 dropped in.. personally thats a better way to go in achieving faster speeds... b18b's,b18a's exhaust sizes are different.. i think the b18c's come with a 2.5" all through and are made of titanium/allumiunium or someshit. cant really remember but i got mine largened up using the b18c type r exhaust with a high flow cat and bclub headers.

b18b b18a are very simular engines.. with a turbo setup 1/4mile you'll be looking at 14-15's secs? which is totally dip.. for running a turbo.. my advice if you want to turbo an engine for honda go for single cam vtec.. not a DOHC non vtec/vtec..

just trying to help you out iwth the right decision.
regards

samm

Please don't give advice when you clearly lack the knowledge yourself...:)

A-man
28-12-2007, 06:21 PM
i thought i wasnt crazy....

i was talking to a bloke i work with today whos in the rally team for wrc and he was saying that it would b fine on stock ecu provided they tune it,

he said to upgrade the injectors having said this he said get it all dynoed so u know what to do and how big ill need injectors fuel pumps etc.

string
29-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Take a stock vtec motor to the track and a turbo non-vtec to the track and see who lasts the most laps.

A-man
30-12-2007, 12:26 AM
i still think the turbo one will last the same distance provided its not leaning out and that the car is running well like a stock vtec motor would...

its not really something u usually compare plus how much more fun are u goin to have in a turbo one to a stock motor

string
30-12-2007, 12:58 PM
i still think the turbo one will last the same distance provided its not leaning out and that the car is running well like a stock vtec motor would...

its not really something u usually compare plus how much more fun are u goin to have in a turbo one to a stock motor

The comparasin was brought up a few posts ago, claiming that a turbo non-vtec would be "better" than a non-vtec.

On the street maybe a turbo would be fun, but on the track it's a completely different story. A short gear vtec will give you far more variability in how much power you can put down. I drove a high powered turbo rwd at wakefield park last time I was there and it was the worst thing in the world - the same story as a moderately powered fwd turbo; too much power when you want just a little bit. Straights just aren't that much fun after a few corners.

And sorry but you'll need to spend about twice the cost of a stock vtec transplant on your turbo to get close to the reliability of a stock vtec motor. There's just too much heat to get rid of, plus many more components to go wrong.

On the street it's a different story and I fully back a B18A turbo. Samm928 is just a moron.

DA9jeff
30-12-2007, 07:26 PM
A-man: go to g2ic and look for the LS turbo guide, definitely the best (and probably only) guide to boosting the b18a. it is very comprehensive and answers most of the questions you have asked. The guide actually recomends the b18a as the best b series to boost as it has a lower cr so can take boost with less chance of detonation. he doesnt recomend vtec for boost but cant remember why. I agree with the others on that turbo would be good for the street but on the track NA is better in a FF car as there really is only so much power a FF car can lay down unless you spend alot of time and money working the suspension. i may be wrong but thats my oppinion :)

ps samm928 your full of poop

ACTI0NMAN-1
30-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Just go nitrous. I dont know many N20 Da9's in AUS

A-man
31-12-2007, 12:13 PM
nah to late ive just bought the turbo kit im organising a motor to clean up and test fit aswell

ill let u all kno as i go

prego
01-01-2008, 05:35 PM
pics aswell please :)

A-man
01-01-2008, 08:06 PM
this is the turbo kit i ended up buying

im going to get a spare b18a to start workin on aswell