PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise on sharp corners

outatime
25-12-2007, 03:03 AM
hi,

i always hear this knocking noise coming from the back when i turn fast on sharp corners. Especially if I have passengers at the back the noise can't be be avoided when turning. the noise has become more apparent after i had my coilovers' height raised to an inch...

what could that be? how do i get rid of it because it really annoys me.. i want my car to be smoothly quiet as possible...lol if I put a rear strut bar, would that reduce the noise?

oh btw, my car's got an apexi n1 pro coilovers, beaks brace, and whiteline rear swaybar if that's any help...

thanks for the responses and merry christmas! :D

Sir_vtec
25-12-2007, 07:09 PM
dont think rear strut will do anything. just tightens the chasis abit.

does the knock noise occur on bumps? could be pillow ball mounts knocking.

outatime
25-12-2007, 07:40 PM
dont think rear strut will do anything. just tightens the chasis abit.

does the knock noise occur on bumps? could be pillow ball mounts knocking.

no they don't occur on bumps just when turning on sharp corners at faster speeds or with passengers at the back.

is that a big concern when the pillow ball mounts are knocking?

SiReal
25-12-2007, 07:47 PM
could be your springs clapping against each other?

RSB endlinks loose? - but sounds should only occur on low speeds....

check your subframe.. could be a tear out issue.

outatime
25-12-2007, 10:03 PM
could be your springs clapping against each other?

RSB endlinks loose? - but sounds should only occur on low speeds....

check your subframe.. could be a tear out issue.

yes sounds only occur at low speeds.. 30-40 km/h when turning on a sharp corner.. also, knocking sounds come off when i'm slowly turning to a steep driveway.

how do i know if subframe is torn?

bennjamin
25-12-2007, 11:31 PM
ur beaks could be hitting against the piping....or the swaybar could be slowly loosening - check ur subframe already lol :)

Sir_vtec
25-12-2007, 11:53 PM
even exiting or reversing out of a steep drive way can create this knocking noise? Is it knocking from both rear corners of the car or just one side?

is it only one knock or is it few knocks?

i think i might know whats wrong.

outatime
26-12-2007, 12:41 AM
ur beaks could be hitting against the piping....or the swaybar could be slowly loosening - check ur subframe already lol :)

Ben! finally you appeared! i've been waiting for your response! lol hehe

yeah i'm going overseas soon and when i come back i'll have the asr brace with SiR front/rear swaybars, and strut bars.. also i'm thinkin of facelifting my car's bumper and foglights SiR style.. you'll see in a few weeks! i'll be calling u for an install. :p

SiReal
26-12-2007, 06:25 PM
i had knocking noises when turning slowly cos my endlinks were loose. i tightened those biatches up (making sure not to overtighten) and its as quiet as a mouse.

55EXX
18-01-2008, 07:20 AM
yeah tighten it all up again. i had the brace in my old ek with whiteline bar and it made noise till i tightened and regreased it

dupac->
18-01-2008, 07:59 AM
its the sway bar. tighten it up. more load on the rear would make the noise.

happened to me.. tightened it abit and its fine.

unless ur subframe shat itself
lol

Limbo
18-01-2008, 11:22 AM
yeah did the same thing to mine. Try using some spring washers in between the bolts it stopped mine from loosening

Nav2k
22-01-2008, 01:52 PM
have u changed suspension recently ? or ur wheels/tyres ?
could be tyres hitting the guard as well but that would be a slightly different noise.
could also be coilvoers hitting the inner guard as well, check that clearance out and the reverse side being ur wheel touching the coils...

because turning though i would suggest looking at clearances for tyre on both inner and outter guards.

simonnowis
23-01-2008, 05:12 PM
sounds like its the rear swaybar. iv heard of it happening before, after removing it you wont hear the knocking.
dont really know wat you can do, but using an oem rsb doesnt seem to create this prob

outatime
23-01-2008, 10:03 PM
sounds like its the rear swaybar. iv heard of it happening before, after removing it you wont hear the knocking.
dont really know wat you can do, but using an oem rsb doesnt seem to create this prob

what's a good oem rsb and fsb for ek1?

bennjamin
23-01-2008, 10:48 PM
what's a good oem rsb and fsb for ek1?

EK9 rear swaybar + ASR brace. IT sits flatter than the whiteline and wont "knock" on the exhaust piping...DO IT !

PS get a EK4 front swaybar

outatime
24-01-2008, 01:27 PM
EK9 rear swaybar + ASR brace. IT sits flatter than the whiteline and wont "knock" on the exhaust piping...DO IT !

PS get a EK4 front swaybar

hehe will buy them soon.. dont have the cash yet..lol

i listened to it carefully and the sounds are coming from the coilover's area on both sides.

from my understanding, a sway bar keeps the car flat when turning..right? could that be the reason why the coils knock when the car is angled on a driveway? because the rear right wheel is on a lower ground than the rear left wheel (and vice versa)?

PS. Does a front sway bar need a brace?

simonnowis
24-01-2008, 01:53 PM
the swaybar prevents minimal body roll, i remember there was a thread on about the whole purpose of swaybar etc here on ozhonda. try checking it out for further indepth details.

p.s. no you dont need a brace for front swaybar

Limbo
24-01-2008, 03:36 PM
the swaybar prevents minimal body roll, i remember there was a thread on about the whole purpose of swaybar etc here on ozhonda. try checking it out for further indepth details.

p.s. no you dont need a brace for front swaybar

I does help to have one. Top, bottom, front & back (Back can be scrapped if you have a ASR brace) will all add to increase handling

outatime
04-03-2008, 12:15 PM
hi guys,

i know it's been a while since this message.. i was wondering if you could help me again..

i concluded that the knocking noise is caused by the swaybar and not the coilovers.. yesterday, i had my whiteline swaybar changed to the ek9 swaybar with asr brace. the knocking noise disappeared when exiting the driveways.. however, there's a knocking noise when car is running at slow speeds below 50km/h. It keeps on knocking only at the left side even on a smooth road it knocks..:(

has anyone experience this?

btw, the rsb endlinks are torqued to default 22lbs/ft.

thanks in anticipation.

vinnY
04-03-2008, 12:53 PM
hows your trailing arm bushings?

bennjamin
04-03-2008, 03:03 PM
they are filled with some sort of rubber ( sikaflex?)
Possilby might be shot making the "rocking" noise.

the noise , appears to be relevant to the endlinks - we put some aftermarket BLOX endlinks on and the noise amplified.

outatime
04-03-2008, 03:29 PM
they are filled with some sort of rubber ( sikaflex?)
Possilby might be shot making the "rocking" noise.

the noise , appears to be relevant to the endlinks - we put some aftermarket BLOX endlinks on and the noise amplified.

Ben, according to this there's only one washer he used..

http://www.projectaudiousa.com/Site/Civic_Si/Entries/2007/8/1_Installed_Blox_Endlinks.html

maybe we could try that?.. or maybe the lca isn't aligned properly or loose?

Limbo
04-03-2008, 04:06 PM
u sure its not the swaybar knocking to your exhaust?

outatime
04-03-2008, 04:09 PM
u sure its not the swaybar knocking to your exhaust?

nah definitely the left coilover is knocking.. it's coming from that area..

bubblecivic
05-03-2008, 07:56 PM
hey i have the same problem.

when entering a step drive way my back left makes a poping sound

No noises when driving tho

i just recently installed buddyclub n+ coilovers the rest is stock on an ek4

bennjamin
05-03-2008, 08:00 PM
something is loose. OR too tight....check your springs and make sure the spring perches are held correctly and that your springs themselves are not too tight or too loose.

outatime
05-03-2008, 10:17 PM
something is loose. OR too tight....check your springs and make sure the spring perches are held correctly and that your springs themselves are not too tight or too loose.

or maybe the rsb endlinks are not even in length... just like what we found out on mine.. :D

anyways just to let you know you guys that the knocking noise on my car is completely gone! big props to Ben! :thumbsup:

Limbo
09-03-2008, 10:49 AM
endlinks are not same length? that's news to me

outatime
09-03-2008, 11:53 AM
endlinks are not same length? that's news to me

yeah because they are BLOX Racing adjustable endlinks.