PDA

View Full Version : 200,000km service

NightKids
26-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Hey guys

I did a search but couldn't find what I wanted.... I'm due for a major service. I need to get my timing belt replaced as well as fix this loud screeching sound when I start my car. It makes this loud noise like a stick being chucked in a fan.

It seems like the dealers aren't very good and the mechanics would be the way to go? Any good recommendations in MELBOURNE would be appreciated. Thx!

EuroDude
26-12-2007, 02:11 AM
Perhaps the starter motor is on its way out?

Dealers charge you an arm and a leg so I wouldnt use them, although the honda-only ones are good since they focus on Honda's and get Engineering notices and other info from Honda directly.Otherwise look in the yellow pages for an independent reputable mechanic that focuses on hondas/japanese cars.

But then again, if the noise can be replicated 100%, any half-decent mech can determine the faulted component.

I know one in Sydney but not Melbs

markoJEK1
26-12-2007, 06:25 AM
The loud screech when you start your car up would be coming from a loose belt

Limbo
26-12-2007, 09:34 AM
agree with above the loud screeching is usually from a loose belt. Judging from your milage i'd just replace all other belts while your there.
Sorry i can't help as i've never been to Melb

aaronng
26-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Our 94 Accord also has that screeching at startup. Seems that the starter motor is not disengaging quick enough after the engine has started. It's been about 3-4 years now and the engine still starts fine despite the screeching.

NightKids
26-12-2007, 11:11 AM
It only started screeching after my friend changed my clutch & flywheel for me.... so it could be related to a loose belt I'm thinking?

haha yeah a lot of responses from Sydney people! C'mon Melbournians! Need some recommendations on my service!

NightKids
26-12-2007, 05:32 PM
*bump*

dudeling7
26-12-2007, 06:43 PM
hey man, waht flywheel did you get?

im betting its the flywheel and the starter motor.

some aftermarket flywheels have different cut gears, OEM ones are made to have a special U shape to reduce noise and stuff i think while some aftermarket like fidanza have a more V shape which makes it noisy when you start the car. when the starter disengages from the gears on the flywheel it makes the quick short grinding noise.

NightKids
27-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I've got a Exedy flywheel. If that's the case.... how do I fix it?

dudeling7
27-12-2007, 01:36 PM
well, id like to hear about other people with fidanza flywheels to see if they have this sound. its not really a problem, but more of an annoyance.

i got the fidanza flywheel and excedy clutch combo in mine.

any one else with fidanza find that thier car starts more loudly in the starter motor area when it fires up?

NightKids
27-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah i'd like to see if people can suggest any fixes to the problem as well

omgzilla
27-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Do the water pump while you're doing the timing belt ;)

SHOGUNOVDDRK
27-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Do the water pump while you're doing the timing belt ;)

what he said