PDA

View Full Version : Weird Electric problem

Psy
27-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi guys, this morning i went to my car to drive to work and the car just wouldnt start up. At first i thought it was the immobilisor, but i called Honda and they said it was definetly the battery.

So i called my brother to jump start it and i got it up and running which was great but now my automatic power windows for the driver side doesn't work anymore.. i can get the windows electronically with the buttons but the auto function doesnt work anymore..

any clues on whats going on?

shadou
27-12-2007, 07:35 PM
with window up put it all the way down hold for 3 seconds and up again and hold for 3 seconds. You will regain auto window function. If that does not work try a 5second hold but 3 should be plenty make sure you do not release the switch at any point during that time.

Psy
27-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Oh my, that fixed it up! Thanks mate

But why does that happen in the first place?

i'm still wondering what drained my battery, i left nothing on... grrrr..

anyways you saved me a trip to honda, and possibly getting ripped off by them.

thanks.

bennjamin
27-12-2007, 08:48 PM
when your battery drained , it reset your ECU and default settings. There must be a loose ground somewhere or something is shorting and draining your battery. Do you have a aftermarket sound system or alarm ?

Psy
27-12-2007, 08:50 PM
nah everything is standard, the other day i left the lights on for about 1 minute on to check something in the garage, and for the first time when i tried to start it up, it struggled pretty bad, then started... This morning, nothing worked...

maybe water is low? i gotta go check these out tomorrow.

bennjamin
27-12-2007, 08:54 PM
if it struggled bad to start , sounds your battery is bad. Get a new one and tell us if it still has the same problem

tony1234
28-12-2007, 08:08 AM
OEM battery is crap,only 300CCA.Get a Supercharge Gold,has a 3 yr.warranty i think.Have heard good things about them.This is what i'll get when mine dies.

Pumped
28-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Had a similar problem with mine at one stage.
Turned out it wasn't the battery just a loose connection on the positive terminal, one of the connectors to it anyway.

Tightened it up and no troubles since, sounds like its your battery though

EuroDude
28-12-2007, 11:56 AM
The auto-window function has to 'remember' the position it closes at, which is lost when it loses power.

And yeah the stock battery is a bit poor, mine went near-flat once and the ignition/dash just ticks constantly instead of turning the starter motor (there was still battery power for winding the windows, dash lights, fan etc..).
So it seems like the ECU knows if there isnt enough battery power to run the starter motor, and goes into power-save mode so to speak.

If the battery has gone completely flat, it wont be the same again. You may wanna get a new battery for piece of mind.

EuroAccord13
28-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Once a battery goes flat, it will never be able to hold full charge again. The Euro uses a puny 330CCA battery which is insufficient.. I've since upgraded mine to a 460CCA one.....

I don't think the auto window memory function will be lost when you lose power. I've had mine D/C numourous times to do some electrical work and my windows worked fine....

aaronng
28-12-2007, 06:46 PM
^^ It depends on how long you leave it for I think.

EUR003act
28-12-2007, 09:53 PM
^^ correct... i had mine disconnect for 6-7hours... didnt have to reset windows... had it disconnected for 2days... did have to reset windows...

i upgraded to 680cca battery :D (50amp/hr)

Psy
28-12-2007, 10:17 PM
I think i will do the cheap way of trying to fill up the water levels which i checked today and most of them were empty, so i just filled them up with distilled water and hoping it kind of gives it some improvement.

I left the lights on for about 5 minutes and tried turning the car on, and it turned like a normal car.

If problem continues, new battery it is.

EuroAccord13
28-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey Aaron, when you DC your car battery to go overseas, did you have to reset the windows?

aaronng
28-12-2007, 11:29 PM
I don't DC it. I just leave it connected. Car starts fine when I come back after 4 weeks. :p

EuroDude
28-12-2007, 11:36 PM
^ says aaron with a stock sound system ;)

If you have an aftermarket sound system, u really need to upgrade ur battery lol

aaronng
29-12-2007, 08:03 AM
^ says aaron with a stock sound system ;)

If you have an aftermarket sound system, u really need to upgrade ur battery lol

If you have an aftermarket sound system, it should be wired up properly so that when your key is out of the ignition, it doesn't drain power. Most ppl run power straight from the battery to the amp. Instead, you should use a relay which uses the ignition wiring (say the cigarette socket) to trigger the relay which then supplies power from the battery to the amp. Direct wiring will drain the battery even if you have an Optima/Odyssey/mostexpensivebattery.

EuroDude
29-12-2007, 12:45 PM
A Relay isn't really necessary. All Amps have a Remote-In function (internal relay) that you connect to an ignition source. The Amps use little or no power when they are in Standby mode.

I guess it depends on what type of Relay is used within the Amp, if it slowly drains a bit of power when the car is Off, the Battery may not last 4 weeks of storage, in which you should disconnect the battery.

You need to upgrade the battery since:
1) Playing music while the engine is off will drain the stock battery fast
2) Playing loud music right before shutting the engine off can drain the battery, since it doesn't get a chance to recharge from the engine.

JN7
25-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I just had the same problem with my auto window but did that 3 second hold and it worked. Sometimes my car struggles to start and the rest of the times it starts fine. Should I be concerned? I have an aftermarket sound system.

hooyn
25-04-2008, 07:08 PM
17yr old with a euro. :(

destrukshn
25-04-2008, 07:26 PM
17yr old with a euro. :(
his a bragger let him be.
lol.

JN7
25-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Haha
Yeah yeah... can you guys give me some advice on the topic?
Thanks guys.:thumbsup:

aaronng
25-04-2008, 11:41 PM
How old is your car? Change to an Odyssey or Optima Yellowtop.

tony1234
26-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Your battery(like your car)is still under warranty.Battery has 2 years,it's crap,designed to last a bit longer than the warranty.:thumbdwn:

JN7
26-04-2008, 04:38 PM
06 luxury. Got it right at the beginning of 2006 so I think warranty is just about over :(