PDA

View Full Version : clickety click NOISES !?!?

ILUS1V
28-12-2007, 09:02 PM
hi all
hoping somebody may have had this problem before and could give me some insight before i start to investigate it.

i get a crunchy / clicking noise mostly on initial take off either in reverse or forwards, although sitting in the drive i tested it a little like this

1st time forwards it made the noise, 2nd time forwards no noise.
went into reverse and it made the noise again and then back into forwards and noise happens again and vice versa.

has anybody had anything similar to this ?

Andw0o
28-12-2007, 11:49 PM
search is your friend... -_-"

i dont even have a s2000 and i know what the problem is.
not going to tell you soo you learn how to use the search feature.

Andw0o
28-12-2007, 11:54 PM
okay okay i feel bad lol!

its ur diff, when was the last time you changed your diff fluids? lol
if i were you id stop driving the car till you have it checked out by a proper mech. before you do some serious damage.

xntrik
29-12-2007, 12:31 AM
^
and you used the search feature? rofl

anyways back ontopic

does it actually crunch or does it click into gears.
maybe you're just paranoid? could just be the sound when your gear clicks in.

have you tested other manual cars/ s2000's?

Andw0o
29-12-2007, 12:37 AM
lol damn right i used the search feature, thats what its there for.
sounds like its happening from starts and stops, classic diff problem. best get it checked out by a mech.

a few things you might want to try though is

1. bleed the clutch fluid to see if theres any air in it.
2. replace the diff fluids.

other then that get it checked by a mech asap. if it is the diff your causing more damage as you wait.

weezer
29-12-2007, 09:40 AM
tighten your rear axel nut. the 36mm one. i had the exact same noise and that got rid of it

NVD52K
29-12-2007, 11:26 AM
same problem as me only when i reverse slowly then slightly push the brake it makes a click and thats about it

ILUS1V
29-12-2007, 12:45 PM
thanks for the info guys, cheapest and easyest 1st, ill tighten the axle nuts, then go from there.

Paul1985
29-12-2007, 01:02 PM
thanks for the info guys, cheapest and easyest 1st, ill tighten the axle nuts, then go from there.

S2K is RWD so its not likely that tightening your Hub nuts will do anything.

Quickest check is to ensure there isnt something leaning on the tailshaft..
I seen the mechanics at work get an apprentice by putting a cable tie around the driveshaft and it clicked like crazy when driving around haha.

There could be something like a bit of exhuast shield or something leaning against the tailshaft causing it to make noises.

Also check there isnt something in your tyre, a rock or something can make this clicking noise.

They are quick easy checks that will cost you nothing other than a quick look. Who knows, you may find the issue as something as simple as a rock in the tyre..

From there check the diff fluid and possibly take it to the mechanics for further inspection.

ILUS1V
29-12-2007, 01:12 PM
its like a TENSION / TORQUE issue, the car can be sitting still and the noise can still be heard by making th car SQUATT.
as today passes i should find the issue (hopefully)

its deffinantly not a rock in the tyre hehe, or cable ties, being a mechanic myself ive seen this stunt pulled aswell, its the ultimate for LULZ but its not that here either hehehe

also keeping in mind guys this car is on 40,000 kms old

some other things ive found
it does not seem to do it after sitting over night but will make the noise after a short drive.
its not a crunching noise of gears or anything like that as its too lightly pitched.
immagine you have a nail and a small piece of tinand you clip the edge of the tin with the nail a few times a second, except its a lil louder than that but same type of noise

Paul1985
29-12-2007, 01:34 PM
shocks/springs possibly

HondaTechy
29-12-2007, 02:38 PM
The noise is coming from your driveshafts splines,to fix it properly remove the outer joints and clean up the hub,apply grease the the splines and replace the nuts with new one.guarantied to fix the problem.probably not just a good idea to tighten them, should have it done properly.

vyets
29-12-2007, 05:21 PM
When I take off with the car, but I release the clutch too much kind of like when it almost stalls, the gearbox shakes really hard and its like burrrrr sound. is this the same problem?
also the gearbox gets really hot when driving, and you can feel it under the center console is that normal too? :P

Paul1985
29-12-2007, 06:12 PM
When I take off with the car, but I release the clutch too much kind of like when it almost stalls, the gearbox shakes really hard and its like burrrrr sound. is this the same problem?
also the gearbox gets really hot when driving, and you can feel it under the center console is that normal too? :P

that burr sound is on any manual car when you do that lol.
Its like going up a hill in too high of a gear, same deal.

ILUS1V
29-12-2007, 06:18 PM
that burr sound is on any manual car when you do that lol.
Its like going up a hill in too high of a gear, same deal.

yer i was gunna say, thats not it lol

AusS2000
29-12-2007, 07:15 PM
It's a common issue and there is a service bulletin about it.

You need you axle nuts retorqued. 280ftlbs should do it.

Doing mine tomorrow.

vyets
29-12-2007, 10:01 PM
yea I know it's normal on manual car, and coming from a front wheel it wasnt this bad lol gearknob shakes like crazy!
but is it normal to feel the heat of the gearbox?

DNTBLO_S2k
30-12-2007, 03:30 PM
mate if its lick a click click when u take of or when u reverse i had the same prob in my s2k, just got the cv's swapped around its all stopped now. dose your car shake a bit aswell? also could be the rear axell nut.

if not just go to a mechanic who knows s2k's and he will get straight to it no point in guessing.

ILUS1V
30-12-2007, 09:51 PM
mate if its lick a click click when u take of or when u reverse i had the same prob in my s2k, just got the cv's swapped around its all stopped now. dose your car shake a bit aswell? also could be the rear axell nut.

if not just go to a mechanic who knows s2k's and he will get straight to it no point in guessing.

yeh no shaking, i never got the chance to work on any S2K's when i worked for honda, still got plenty of mates from there though, i just hate asking for them to take a look.
off to garry and warren smiths she goes :( service is nearly due any way ill get that done aswell.

-parkes-
02-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Sounds like Rear Axle Pop, it's common in S2000's 2003 and earlier. The axle needs to be lubed up and nut tighten to 220 tq/nm from memory search and you should find. ;)

Vuey
09-01-2008, 07:21 PM
F### me , it scares me when i read some of the responses on here . People who dont even drive S2000's chiming in with such problems as busted diffs / CV's / Gear box / rear axles /replace diff fluids ???? / bleed the clutch fluids ???? are you serious ???? etc .

mate your better off going onto s2ki and posting in "under the hood" forum . You will get detailed and more importantly correct answers to your questions in detail .

ive had this EXACT same problem on my 99 S2k , and its a simple fix , no need to fck around , just do what Weezer recommeded
tighten your rear axel nut. the 36mm one. i had the exact same noise and that got rid of it and the clicking will be gone.

18INCH
18-01-2008, 01:09 PM
^^ Vuey......you know your shit dude, are you a mechanic??? maybe i could get you to just look over my s2k and let me know what any issues are

ILUS1V
21-01-2008, 10:55 AM
lolz Vuey does know what he's talking bout.
problem has been solved, a lil bit of time with some old mates from honda, a 36 mm socket my old rattle gun and it was all fixed in 5 mins.
i think i would know a gearbox noise, but you can never rule out worst case scenario.
thanks guys it made diag alot easier, in my time working for honda i was never fortunate enough to work on an S2k so im not really fully aware of "issues" they get.

patawan82
21-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I have the same issue with my s2k.
Where abouts is the axle nut located? Any pics if possible.

Vuey
21-01-2008, 04:02 PM
^^ Vuey......you know your shit dude, are you a mechanic??? maybe i could get you to just look over my s2k and let me know what any issues are

nah mate,im no mechanic :p , but ive experienced a few of these type problems in the past with my previous 99 model S2000 . When i am at the mechanic (Hanny's), i take the time to watch what they are doing to my car and ask questions etc and learn about it . Best way to build up your mechanical knowledge.

malteaser
19-02-2011, 01:22 PM
i have the exact same problem mate its like theres a loose nut rattling around in my boot but i cant find it, getting it checked out soon

AusS2000
19-02-2011, 01:36 PM
If you have a rattling noise in the boot it's probably your spare wheel tie down. Give it a tightening twist.

Engin09
19-02-2011, 04:31 PM
ye can i see a pic of the nut aswell, i get the clicking noise on take off when going really slow and in reverse.

garett
20-02-2011, 06:27 PM
its the big fat one in the middle of your wheel behind the "H" badge