PDA

View Full Version : Civic and integra handling

Pseudo Psycho
30-12-2007, 02:17 AM
Hey all, forgive me if this is a rediculously obvious question, but since the Integra is based on the civic's chassis, and the integra type-r is considered the best handling FWD car ever made, could you get the equivalent generation civic to behave the same way by changing the bushes/sway bars/suspension etc? Or does the civic have different weight distribution or some other reason not to handle just like an integra?

Limbo
30-12-2007, 01:51 PM
which models are you talking about?

EG & DC share a similar chassis, EK has a different chassis.

Not sure about the new ones.

I think your statement is abit vague. Prob from factory yes the Type Rs are one of the best FWD. I rem from a BMI vid that the EK9 is superior in handling, but since they haven't release anymore english versions i'm abit behind

Kiz_EG6
30-12-2007, 02:07 PM
I had an EG with koni yellow shocks, whiteline springs, camber kits and front and rear whiteline sways.
Ride was not as comfortable as the R, but it handled worlds better!!
No LSD in the civic either!

V73C
01-01-2008, 01:13 AM
IMO i think the pulsar VZR is better =]
heres a link to youtube when they raced the N1 VZR with the EK9

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YnYqupXMSr0

IZY-10
01-01-2008, 10:28 AM
but once you mod the r see you later eg

simonnowis
01-01-2008, 10:53 AM
kiz eg6, isnt dat crazily modded. pretty basic swaybars, shocks...
teg R comes stock swaybars to so wat extra mod u do for the teg u can prob do for the civic.
but im curious to which handles the best with most common mods, coilovers/shocks, f&r swaybars, f&r struts. EK, EG or DC?

connorling
03-01-2008, 02:25 AM
EG back is too light, so it mind lose some traction, hence spin in fast turn.
DC2 has a better weight distribution.

not sure about EK

minix33
03-01-2008, 04:58 AM
the weight distribution of the dc2r; most of the mass is located at the centre of the vehicle.
even though the chassis itself may consist of the same parts, the integra's tuned to different settings.
the overall four-wheel independent double wishbone suspension in the dcr2 is similar to the other integra's, the front spring rate has been increased by 22 percent with a 115 percent increase in compression damping and a 70 percent increase in rebound damping.
Damping rates for the rear suspension have also been increased with compression damping settings in the progressive-valve unit increasing by 66 percent, and rebound damping going up 31 percent.

the exterior also makes the handling better than any civic. the dc2r comes stock with front chin spoiler, rear wing-type spoiler and body colored side sills which improves aerodynamics along with the lower overall vehicle height.
together with Potenza RE010 performance tires, the dc2r has near perfect handling at stock.

although the new generation type r's are faster in theory, from personal experience i hav noticed the dc2r has the best handling of any fwd car ive driven.
of the civics ive drive eg/ek/vti ive noticed they body roll alot

hope this helps =]

simonnowis
03-01-2008, 10:53 PM
interesting...btw with the most mass in the centre wouldnt that lower handling?
like an eg vti where sunroof makes centred weight give it less handling.
in terms of ek9 vs itr which would have better handling. alot of people have different opinions. there seems to be more itr supporters mainly cuz more itr owners i guess.
but anyone who has actually experienced driving both can compare?

minix33
04-01-2008, 12:32 AM
IMO i think the pulsar VZR is better =]
heres a link to youtube when they raced the N1 VZR with the EK9

Pro Concept prepares two EK Civics or the NSW IPRA series, which came first and second in the 2007 championship.

They say that the Pulsar isn't anywhere near as good as the Civic in terms of setup (even though is faster in that one BMI video, which in itself proves very little since they have the same cars racing on different days and come up with different results).

And its not like Pro Concept is completely pro-Honda - they used to campaign 200SXs and 350Z in GT-P back before Procar went under.

minix33
04-01-2008, 12:42 AM
interesting...btw with the most mass in the centre wouldnt that lower handling?
like an eg vti where sunroof makes centred weight give it less handling.

The Centre of Gravity, ideally, should be as central as possible and as low as possible. The closer the CoG is to the middle of the car, the more neutral the handling.

The reason why the sunroof decreases handling is because all the weight of the sunroof is located at the top of the car. This is why all those expensive, focused, sports cars (Evo Lancer, current BMW M3 and prior generation M3 CSL, M6, NSX-R) weight reduce the roof to improve the handling.

IZY-10
04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
The Centre of Gravity, ideally, should be as central as possible and as low as possible. The closer the CoG is to the middle of the car, the more neutral the handling.

The reason why the sunroof decreases handling is because all the weight of the sunroof is located at the top of the car. This is why all those expensive, focused, sports cars (Evo Lancer, current BMW M3 and prior generation M3 CSL, M6, NSX-R) weight reduce the roof to improve the handling.

its not just the weight that ruins the handling of the car but it also reduces the rigibility of it

Limbo
04-01-2008, 11:18 AM
watch the BMI - type r series they run all of them against each other.
The ek9 on track came out best. Its got the most netural chassis design and had the best handling out of the lot, bar the NSX which is a different class

Pseudo Psycho
05-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Some interesting thoughts, but, since im thinking of buying one of these cars, i figure i should be more specific to my situation.

Say you had an EK civic, and a DC2 integra, and you put identical aftermarket swaybars, bushes, coilovers, etc (ie all the handling mods) in each car, which would handle better? Completely ignoring power (planning an engine swap down the track) which car has a naturally more competent chassis and weight distribuition?

So considering handling, is there anything else i have overlooked?

minix33
05-01-2008, 01:01 AM
the dc2's design itself has better handling than an EK civic.
it has better physical features such as centre of gravity and overall height which makes the handling better than the civic.

connorling
16-04-2008, 03:52 PM
the dc2's design itself has better handling than an EK civic.
it has better physical features such as centre of gravity and overall height which makes the handling better than the civic.

but civic has less weight, which also comtribute to the handling point of view.....

Limbo
16-04-2008, 04:20 PM
i believe that both the CTR & ITR are very similar in weight