PDA

View Full Version : CAI ideas for a Civic EG Hatch

tiksie
31-12-2007, 03:27 PM
just tossing u some idea's on custom CAI for my EG.

what kind of CAI setups are people using ?? wether it be one you bought, or one you made, and what is recommended and what should be looked at when using CAI setups.

I just want to see who benefits the most from their setup so it can give me some idea's on what I should do to my civic since i got done for a measily pod air filter, so i want to see custom ones or even brought ones that are enclosed so they are legal..feel free to show your setup or explain it regardless if its enclosed or not.

ive also heard DC2R airboxes fit on EG's wthout modding and there are benefits from this ??

cheers, tiksie.

teh_mechanic
31-12-2007, 06:25 PM
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8186/1001457zr0.th.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1001457zr0.jpg)

piping going down into the space enclosed by the inside wheel arch plastic and the front bar. Fairly simple for an exhaust shop or anywhere that does intercooler piping,i dont know exactly which system its a copy of but (bought it off someone else) im pretty sure its a copy just done in regular intercooler piping,much cheaper than buying a pre made system. Theres the big pipe you can see then it goes through the precut hole for the standard air intake in efi eg's (mine was a carb so the hole wasnt there,but i just cut it out) then use silicon connectors and attatch a 90 degree bend pipe to get down through the hole,i then have a hks dome shaped pod filter attatched down in front of the wheel arch.Also cut out the inside of one of the black bits on the side of the front standard eg front bar to allow straight air flow to it,looks standard still unless you get down on knees to look at the front bar. Also remember to include a welded in port for the PCV valve (in mine its the part welded in that has a black hose connected to it coming from the PCV valve on the rocker cover

Im going to wrap it in asbestos wrap as even though its a CAI the air can still heat up considerably as the piping is shiny and gets hot as its in the engine bay,after ive wrapped it,the air will arrive in the cylinders at a considerably lower temperature,therefore being more dense and making more power.....wont look as pretty wrapped in asbestos,but it will work better

lukecivic
09-01-2008, 08:57 PM
arnt you worried about getting your air filter wet whilst driving through rain?

VTi_b0i
09-01-2008, 09:00 PM
meh, just driver normally, dont rev the **** off it and watch out for potholes and all good :) i never rev over 3k in the rain

soss ick
09-01-2008, 09:42 PM
SRI > than CAI man i prefer it heaps more

teh_mechanic
09-01-2008, 09:54 PM
ppl prefer ther sri because yes it does make a better induction noise.
but when you are done playing with noises and look at the facts,cai is better performance wise,providing your intake piping is not too abstract and is tuned for.
i never go through huge puddles or accelerate through anything that looks like it could be a bit deep or anything like that,but apart from that no water is not an issue

lukecivic
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
ppl prefer ther sri because yes it does make a better induction noise.
but when you are done playing with noises and look at the facts,cai is better performance wise,providing your intake piping is not too abstract and is tuned for.
i never go through huge puddles or accelerate through anything that looks like it could be a bit deep or anything like that,but apart from that no water is not an issue

kool, thanks looks like ill give it a shot then, when i buy the damn car :p
i cant find any good eg Vti hatches at the momment :(

teh_mechanic
10-01-2008, 05:05 PM
check the car sale section i was just looking at a clean red vti hatch for $8000ish,cant remember what state

Dy_
11-01-2008, 07:55 PM
a properly built sri intake in my opinion is better. as long you get the cold air in there and the hot air away.

fat_85_civic
11-01-2008, 09:09 PM
herae the CAI i made for my car.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=975838#post975838

tiksie
11-01-2008, 11:17 PM
pictures no workie on the link!

lukecivic
12-01-2008, 08:54 AM
i bought a vti coupe :D...
im gonna get started on the intake straight away
not sure which way ill be doing it though

ive heard the whale penis intake is good...any idea where i can get one of those from?

fat_85_civic
12-01-2008, 11:04 AM
the pics are working fine on my computer