PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone find those protection options useful?

ahmondjai
02-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Just purchased my Vti, waiting for the dealership to fit the accessories onto my precious and I've been offer on those paint protection, interior protection, rust proofing and sound proofing(from underneath the car), has anyone got those protection options? are they worthed?

Shimian
02-01-2008, 05:44 PM
no no and no. Not sure about sound proofing whether it actually works. I might look into it. But usually dealers charge top $$$ compared to going aftermarket

wilkie
02-01-2008, 06:19 PM
hey, i just had a long convo with the after service guy on the civic i just ordered, here is what he had to say:

paint protection: only really a must on black, red and misty violet civics, but still a good idea for other colours. he suggested to me it wasn't worth the extra dough for me (i got a sparkle grey) but i ended up getting it thrown in with the deal anyway. from my dealer the rrp of this option is $595

interior proofing: there is two things here: vinyl protection and fabric protection. any car wouldnt really sell in this day and age if their dashboards started cracking in the first 4-5 years, and so vinyl protection is not worth it at all the dude said (i didn't get this option). this option is $595 from my dealer. fabric protection however is a must if you have young kids etc in the car and is money well spent considering if you get a stain or mark, they will get it out for you and even go to the extent of replacing the part if they cant. so definately good peace of mind (i did get this option too). this option is $595 from my dealer.

rust proofing: the guy said dont even bother wasting your money on this, honda's a renowned for their impeccable paint jobs and rust proofing that they do to the car before it leaves the factory, so save your money here. i dont know the price of this option.

sound proofing: i dont know why you would want it unless your changing the stock sound system (which i dont even know is that easy or not) but apart from that, ur not gonna hear the road considering your music is going to be on and maybe ur aircon (road noise is not bad compared to other small vehicles) so again, the guy said it wasn't a good idea to waste money on this. i would also personally suggest to not bother getting sound proofing, just not worth the money, and im not even sure how much sound it will cut out. dont know the price of this option either.

like shimian said, honda will charge through the nose compared to aftermarket. for example tinting from my dealer is $695, but aftermarket (the people my dealer actually get to do the job for them!) costs $245. same with seat covers, more than $600 for front and back neoprene covers, but around $300 aftermarket.

ahmondjai
02-01-2008, 06:49 PM
same as what I thought, paint protection are not a good idea to put on, they will look nice in the beginning, but will make your vehicle look worst in the long run;

interior, might save your lovely seat, but I don't think it's worth the money from the dealer itself;

rust proofing, all it takes is just one rock chip, then, you are not rust proof anymore;

sound proofing, that's something new for me to hear, although it sounded tempting, but sorry, dealer, I don't think I'm going to pay for that.

Borg
02-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I disagree about paint protection. I got it thrown in on my last car (Integra).
The car still looked brand new the day I sold it, and I only washed it about twice a year.

markCivicVti
02-01-2008, 07:09 PM
same with seat covers, more than $600 for front and back neoprene covers, but around $300 aftermarket.

I'd love a set of decent quality seat covers.... I don't think you'll find anything as good (quality and looks) as the honda neoprene seat covers for 300. I'm happy to be corrected.

BC8
02-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Just purchased my Vti, waiting for the dealership to fit the accessories onto my precious and I've been offer on those paint protection, interior protection, rust proofing and sound proofing(from underneath the car), has anyone got those protection options? are they worthed?

they are not worth it

i was offered by the dealership on all that + alarm as well

I work at a dealership as well not Honda though and the prices charged are ridicolous compared to cost price and really isn't as effective as you would think it would be. IMO

Shimian
02-01-2008, 07:29 PM
if it gets thrown in, its ok. but i wouldnt pay a cent for any of them. As mentioned in another thread, ive spent all up about $300 on car care products. This is made up of buffing machine, polish and wax, towel accessories, window cleaners, tyre cleaners, wheel cleaners, leather cleaners and dash cleaners. With the exception of the wax which i have bought 2 since aug 06 (car delivery), the rest are still about half full.
Even with all those protections from the dealer, you will still need to buy all these things (maybe the exception of the buffing machine) to maintain your car.

wilkie
02-01-2008, 08:08 PM
your car will definately retain it's lustre if you have paint protection, but shimian is very right in saying that it's good if it gets thrown in, otherwise dont buy it. it definitely wont degrade the look of your car tho!!!

JaCe
02-01-2008, 10:00 PM
lol i was cheap and went with none of the above.

considering i have black civic, and i've scraped paint with a few poles here and there.. my civic came out ok. the honda is surprisingly tough because i was able to scratch off the foreign object's paint leaving my black intact :)

not sure about sound proofing.. sounds like a gimmick to me. the only thing i could think of would be sound deadening which would be useful but probably extortion-priced at the dealer.

ahmondjai
03-01-2008, 03:19 AM
well, conclusion, not much people have those options on their Civic, and comments on them are slightly negative, would that be correct??

minix33
03-01-2008, 04:29 AM
well i wouldnt bother with the sound proofing.
i have had paint/interior/rust done on the old mini
it helps during resale and if you get a few done together they usually give you a decent deal
you can probably get it cheaper after market but it probably doesnt offer lifetime warranty and the same service as getting it directly from the dealer
plus when it comes to selling the car it sounds better saying it comes factory
i got interior because i have leather seats but if you have normal fabric i wouldnt bother on a civic.
as for paint protection, it makes cleaning abit easier

Shimian
03-01-2008, 07:37 AM
what do you mean by easier to clean? I dont have paint protection and cleaning my car is a piece of cake. Only time consuming cos its a biggish car and also i want to give extra love to it.

one4spl
03-01-2008, 08:03 AM
It's all snake oil. If the car needed any of it then it would be like that from the factory, IMHO.

Paint protection - err? isn’t that what clear coat is for? are they adding clear coat? or do they think they can do clear coat better than Honda? suuure.

Rust Protection - Most cars are hot-dip galvanised these days, so they won’t rust in any significant way unless they are damaged. Honda already gives you a 6 year perforation (rust) warranty...?

Sound Proofing - The time to sound proof a car is when its being manufactured, not by adding a few kilos of extra tar to the bottom of the car.

Interior Protection - They cover the fabric, that’s polyester, in a polyester coating... why? so stuff you spill doesn’t soak in? That also means your sweat wont soak in and the seat will be sticky all the time. And if you are fitting seat covers why bother? How do they protect the vinyl? By rubbing sunscreen on it? How long does sunscreen last on you? about 6 hours... why would it last any longer in the car? The factory vinyl had anti-UV stuff built in, and as said modern plastics last much better than they have in the past anyways.

None of will make maintaining your car any easier. You still need to wash it, you still will get chips and scratches fixed, you will still need to shampoo the seats and clean up spills...

SNAKE OIL I TELLS YA !! *shakes fist

Joele
03-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Interior protection - "I can buy a couple of cans of scotchguard myself" LOL the aftersales girl loved that comment...

As with the post above, I agree it is all rubbish, but each to their own.

One point if you get a price of the aftersales person, check direct with the service or parts departments. As the same dealer for the extras I got (rear spoiler) I saved almost 40% by telling the aftersales girl I wasn't interested and talking direct to the service department. Even the extended warranty was $200 more from her than from the service department at the same dealership...

Nepolian
03-01-2008, 08:42 AM
I got it when I got my CRV and I think I was the biggest waste of money. I would too go buy a box of fish oil and scotchguard and do it myself. I must have been on drugs when I said yes at the time :(

Danese
03-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Paint protection is only worth while doing if you don't gararge you car. And it is a good product.

buddah51au
12-01-2008, 08:50 PM
i would not bother with any of them......nothing beets a wax job every 2 or 3 months