PDA

View Full Version : b16a lightened flywheel

ITEAZR
03-01-2008, 01:46 PM
hi all iv just purchused a excedy lightened flywheel. i also have an excedy heavy duty clutch ready to go in.. just ondering if anyone has done this upgrade to there b16a and if they have felt a difference when revs/power etc... the b16a is in my crx

thanks guys

Kiz_EG6
03-01-2008, 01:50 PM
hi all iv just purchused a excedy lightened flywheel. i also have an excedy heavy duty clutch ready to go in.. just ondering if anyone has done this upgrade to there b16a and if they have felt a difference when revs/power etc... the b16a is in my crx

thanks guys

Hey man, yeah i had an x-streem lightened flywheel and clutch put in.
You really notice the difference when you rev the car up, it's much more sharp and responsive!
Also on shifts, you just watch the revs drop as you shift and the gear just drop in!
No real power difference, just smoother shifts, oh yeah and it'll take bout a week to get the hang of taking off ;)

SPEEDCORE
03-01-2008, 01:51 PM
http://ozhonda.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1437360
http://ozhonda.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1437357

imashy14u
03-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I've got a Exedy HD clutch and lightened flywheel in my boosted D16 and you can defintely feel the difference. The car is more responsive and gets to the top end much quicker. Defnitely worth the money:thumbsup:.

Also the driveability is not too much different from stock. Some say that you need more revs when taking off or else you stall (due to the lack in inertia from a lighter flywheel), but it's not as bad as people say it is.

Power wise, you won't get additional power from it, it just means you get to the power band quicker.

Limbo
03-01-2008, 02:26 PM
i put in an ITR flywheel and noticed that also. Feels like it revs quicker, but then i don't have to rev as high as its not that light. Its cheap also

Steer^Gimic
03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
http://ozhonda.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1437360
http://ozhonda.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1437357

Nice links there douchebag.

Maybe next time.

SPEEDCORE
03-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Nice links there douchebag.

Maybe next time.

Bizzare... they worked for me :confused:
search for flywheel 98 results
search for flywheel lightened 9 results

Considering that there is vast information on this forum answering his EXACT question... I guess that does not count for much.

Cheers for the name calling and -ve rep :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup:

fatboyz39
04-01-2008, 08:07 AM
USe the search fucntion next time.

ITEAZR
04-01-2008, 07:16 PM
i did and got nuthing... anyways thanks for the help ppl...

ITEAZR
08-01-2008, 06:15 PM
any1 no the part number for a integra b16a cable clutch exedy heavy duty clutch? i think i bought the wrong 1.... i was on the site and the one i got is for a ek civic... help?

aimre
09-01-2008, 12:52 AM

thanks guys

Well it looks like YOU will soon find out.

Hey man, yeah i had an x-streem lightened flywheel and clutch put in.
You really notice the difference when you rev the car up, it's much more sharp and responsive!
Also on shifts, you just watch the revs drop as you shift and the gear just drop in!
No real power difference, just smoother shifts, oh yeah and it'll take bout a week to get the hang of taking off

What i've learnt from ozhonda, thing like "sharp and responsive", "smoother" and all that other crap ppl claim to get is BS.

When someone says that, they're just trying to justify all this money they spent on a mod that really does nothing. Its all in their heads

kayot1k
09-01-2008, 11:46 AM
i tend to agree with aimre.

lighten flywheel has **** all difference on a b16a.
i felt robbed even after.
people keep saying stuff like "feels" faster or "revs" faster but the difference is neglible IMO.

probably works better on other cars that have quite heavy flywheels form factory.

bennjamin
09-01-2008, 12:30 PM
well a B16a has little useable torque to "store" with a flywheel anyway. So , a lighter flywheel wont make such an impression.

But , on my b18c7 i noticed increased throttle response(with a lightweight flywheel) Thats all.
Its worth it tho :)

aimre
09-01-2008, 03:35 PM
"increased throttle response"

Thats another good one

bennjamin
09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
"increased throttle response"

Thats another good one

if it gives increased throttle response , after compared to before , how else do you explain it ? :wave:
Sounds like you bought a lightweight flywheel and werent impressed ?
The next car or next few cars i purchase ~ one mod i would do is a lightweight flywheel because it does "something".

kayot1k
10-01-2008, 11:41 AM
if it gives increased throttle response , after compared to before , how else do you explain it ? :wave:
The next car or next few cars i purchase ~ one mod i would do is a lightweight flywheel because it does "something".

hehehe, if amire was not impressed after installing a lighten flywheel on a b16a , i too will concur.

not saying that lighten flywheels make no difference, but from experience did close to nothing. maybe needed a lighter flywheel like 3kgs or something

bottom line b16a + lighten flywheel = waste of money.

bennjamin
10-01-2008, 11:44 AM
i will agree with the above. Maybe we can all agree that the lower the capacity of an engine the less "noticeable" result :)

aimre
10-01-2008, 02:03 PM

Thats fair enough. Thats what a lightened flywheel is ment to do

But im mainly refering to other mods, like CAI and K&N filters. People think it gives them power. But then when it doesn't, all they can say is "o i feel increased throttle response."

Just dont want noobs to think this will make their car into something it isnt

VT1-R
10-01-2008, 02:35 PM
haha. CAI maybe give 2-5hp thats all, also depending on the capacity of ur engine. the smaller the engine, the smaller the gain. It feels faster etc because of the sound the pod makes and also some better airflow.

Lightened flywheel on b16a is worth it. Another few hundred $$ on a gd light flywheel with a gd clutch will give u better gains than trying to get a $500 bling intake.

Jus make sure u do Gd I/H/E Flywheel clutch... Then u will feel a geninue difference from stock. Dun say no. If not these companies have all gone broke if its not true.

Go any further will be Cams+tune+stripping interior etc.. Or go turbo and keep interior..lol..

Gd luck and lightened flywheel is a gd mod.

hayashi_1986
11-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I darno, maybe with my H22A, lightened flywheel and clutch will make a bit of a difference. Considering it's capacity is bigger than that of a B16A and B18C. I came to this conclusion after applying Bennjammin's theory that bigger capacity engine = more noticeable difference w/hd clutch+flywheel.

The package I have is the Fidanza lightened molybdenum FW and Fidanza stg1 HD clutch for those interested.

kayot1k
16-01-2008, 07:04 AM
haha. CAI maybe give 2-5hp thats all, also depending on the capacity of ur engine. the smaller the engine, the smaller the gain. It feels faster etc because of the sound the pod makes and also some better airflow.

Lightened flywheel on b16a is worth it. Another few hundred $$ on a gd light flywheel with a gd clutch will give u better gains than trying to get a $500 bling intake.

Jus make sure u do Gd I/H/E Flywheel clutch... Then u will feel a geninue difference from stock. Dun say no. If not these companies have all gone broke if its not true.

Go any further will be Cams+tune+stripping interior etc.. Or go turbo and keep interior..lol..

Gd luck and lightened flywheel is a gd mod.

LOL after looking @ your signature, looks like someone is trying to justify their spendings by saying this does that etc...
i just wanna know what difference you feel after changing good clutch and flywheel.
and do you know the difference between clutch and flywheel.
cus you talk about gains as if you gain HP. more than a good intake ?:thumbdwn:
besides ur running a simota not much can be said about that. Probably just as good as stock intake but with DOOF DOOF sounds.

dsp26
16-01-2008, 07:33 AM
all the comments above regarding B16a is true and i'll vouch for it too... does rev a tad quicker and response is a tad noticable with a 3.9Kg flywheel... but got it cheap and done at the same time with clutch so may as well have... every bit helps. But as i said before no point trying to scavenge any low end power on the b16a when the bore vs stroke ratio + gearing clearly isn't designed for it. When i do my build though i'll try tuning for mid-range see how it goes...

on my mrs B18b however, feels like a totally different car... A LOT more noticable.

I'm pretty sure bennjamins right about the capacity thing.. because when i had an sr20, flywheeled versus un-flywheeled was a HUGE difference... even on idle you could redline the car in around or less than 1sec where as without it'd take about 2-3secs to climb.

now just need someone with a 5.7l v8 to comment :p yfin??? fork out a few hundred $$$ mate!!!!

dudeling7
17-01-2008, 10:32 AM
yeh maybe this is true, all i can say is on my B18B it was the best mod ive done seriously, the car revs up like a mofo now and feels so damn good and free. i got the same kit as hayashi 1986 with like a 3kg flywheel and its made a huge difference to my driving experience in a GOOD way.

VTEC@14.7psi
19-01-2008, 04:10 PM
any reduction in the engine's rotating mass improves acceleration, it wont increase power but i imagine its necessary for increasing rev limit as theres less weight/load on the parts??

90LAN
19-01-2008, 05:01 PM
u would normally change the clutch at the same time when u install the new lighten fly wheel so ....
the difference u are feeling in response is the new clutch( aftermarket) becos your old one has seen better days
lighten flywheels do help u rev faster but only work best with mods that make power !

hayashi_1986
20-01-2008, 11:45 PM
u would normally change the clutch at the same time when u install the new lighten fly wheel so ....
the difference u are feeling in response is the new clutch( aftermarket) becos your old one has seen better days
lighten flywheels do help u rev faster but only work best with mods that make power !

Totally true. +1 for that. I've never driven a stock H22A Civic before so I won't be able to tell you guys about the difference, but I would imagine if the capacity of the engine has something to do with how well a lightened flywheel will work then it's possible that it just might rev a whole lot faster than before.

IMO I reckon a lighter flywheel will dominate on the track more so because of your cars ability to utilize the torque a whole lot quicker than with a stock flywheel. Drag...not too sure, considering drag cars run so much power that a lightened flywheel will make piss all difference anyway.

Anyone care to correct or elaborate?

Cheers