PDA

View Full Version : Kyb excel shocks + King super low springs on a 96 EK1 Sedan

beeza
03-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Could someone tell me if this will be a good combo to do plz.
Also I will have Front + Rear Sway,Upper Front + Rear strut bars.15" Rims,205/50/15 Tyres.

riruiz_88
04-01-2008, 08:04 AM
im running exact setup, though im on Low springs. the ride is stiffer than standard, but its not gonna compare to a high end setup like Koni, Bilstein etc. IMO its a good setup for daily run around, which is what i wanted as im not gonna track anytime soon.

dsp26
04-01-2008, 08:06 AM
what are the spring rates of the super lows?

either way Excel-Gs/GR2s are oem replacements with better valving and a tad stiffer damp and from all accounts will not be overly stressed upto 1.5inch lowering.

I had the GR2 (usa version) in my NX and they were decent... it's more the spring that would define your ride feel hence why I asked the rate...

How much are you getting all that for may I ask? just in case I can find you something better...

minix33
04-01-2008, 08:14 AM
go full adjustable coilovers.
if you dont track the car kings are pretty decent and will get the car low enough
but i personally would go teins
and *hi5* for going towards suspension rather than hp or looks [unless you hav done them already =p]

beeza
04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Guys!
I'm not sure of the spring rate but they are these ones (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79140).I have'nt got $$$ for coilovers so I need a good budget set up.
The Kings super lows are $180 and the shocks should be $300 ish.
I will be tracking the car this mid year (when I get my licence back),but I would say just 2-5 times/year nothing big so I don't need a track set up as such just a good budget set up for street and occasional track.Thanks dsp26,I'm open to anything :)

My d16y4 is not fast so I figured it's best to do ALL the suspension bits,then I can take da corners fast :)

dsp26
04-01-2008, 11:56 AM
^^^so you would say "Occasional tracking"??

Would you ever get fully into it as in maybe at least once a month or do a lot of spirited drives through hills, etc??

If so at the very least i'd suggest getting the KYB AGX 4-way damp adjustables... there is a noticable difference between setting 1 & 4 that i've noticed.. and its also depicted in the Shock Dyno thread i started in this section... otherwise Koni Yellows/GC(Eibach) combo!!

If your interested I got my AGXs for around AU$500 delivered if you haven't already bought any...

beeza
04-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Is that $500 AU for the KYB AGX 4-way damp adjustable coilover's?

I doubt I will get fully into.... my car is only a d16y4 automatic :( plus the cost involved so I really just want the cheapest and best combo.

ek4-guy
04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
dude ive got superlows with less than 5000km's on them you can borrow those to see if they are suitable

oh and i dont need them in a hurry so you dont have to pull thenm straight back out

only thing is will hatch springs fit ur car

beeza
04-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks Darryl,Champion!
PM'ed!

Does anyone know if they will fit?

dsp26
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Is that $500 AU for the KYB AGX 4-way damp adjustable coilover's?

I doubt I will get fully into.... my car is only a d16y4 automatic :( plus the cost involved so I really just want the cheapest and best combo.

then KYB Exel-Gs/GR2s are great with the right springs!!! just curious where your getting em from for $300ish??

beeza
04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
'lenz' is gonna get a price for me.Just from memory I think they were $300 ish but not not 100% till he gets back to me.

But was that those coilovers for $500?

dsp26
04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
'lenz' is gonna get a price for me.Just from memory I think they were $300 ish but not not 100% till he gets back to me.

But was that those coilovers for $500?

The KYB AGXs I got were ~AU$500 delivered to Aus...

the cheapest i've seen Exel-Gs/GR2s in Aus are just under ~AU$400 as et of 4 for any car... back in the day before they were available in Australia I ordered my GR2s from the US for ~AU$440 shipped...

reason for "~" is coz all my orders were done around the $0.85 exchange rate... man wate till we get $0.90c+ exchange again :p

I'm just keeping a list of what i need to order for such time... $0.88c today

beeza
04-01-2008, 10:33 PM
If I were to get the Excel's is there a better spring I can match it with.I've heard a couple of name but I can't remember where I saw it...
I don't mind spending a bit on springs so I can achieve the right ride height.No finger gap front and rear.So I guess a little on the stiff side,since I will be tracking it too but nothing that will take away a comfortable ride.

minix33
05-01-2008, 01:06 AM
whiteline aren't too bad.
they sell whole suspension setups kits with options which are developed as tuned packages.
it is also located in AUS which may make it abit easier to get
www.whiteline.com.au

iced
05-01-2008, 02:20 AM
from my experience whiteline springs are softer rate than kings. i know this from actual spring rate numbers not just feelings out of my backside for anyone who cares.

superlows does not work as well as normal lows on Excel-Gs.
AFAIK kings rep has told me superlows have the same rate as the lows. at the end of the day you lose suspension travel but the rate is the same.
from my experience Excel-Gs dont work that well on any superlow spring. just like on OEM shocks.
2inch drop or more which is bordering superlow territory
btw Excel-G is 10-15% uprated but the shocks will be less effective at the lower height.
you really wont dont to go a stiffer spring. i mean what is your interpretation of a better spring. once you get into springs you get into progressive springs.
for example dc2r springs are linear front but progressive rear. front rate is 4.4k but rear is only 4.4k one it gets compressed to a certain height. otherwise its 2-4.4k or there abouts. rear spring stiffness and really make the car have a choppy ride.
imho progressive springs are designed to add comfort. if you want all out handling you want linear.

so yeh kings lows and kyb excel-g is my recommendation for budget setup.
you can upgrade later to some koni yellows for stiffen it up more for track use.
you wont achieve your no finger gap with lows. but if it really is that important to you then you definately should go the coilover path and get coilovers with adjustable lower perch if possible to retain full suspension travel.
my mate even used H&R sport springs on KYB AGX adjustables and I think it still is abit too soft for the hardcore guys.
but at the end of the day i personally dont like replacement lowering springs for track use and extreme cornering. on the limit on any given car will be too floaty boaty unless you use some stiffer springs and shocks off a typeR. typeR springs are pretty good for track. they are 4.4kg front and rear from memory.

if you look toward koni yellow or AGX i reckon go coilovers.
even budget coilovers will give your car more cornering speed and stability. stability during high speed cornering is much improved.
if you want to track it for sure then coilovers all the way.
rock hard suspension always gets my blood boiling but maybe your not that type of person so up to you.

beeza
05-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks minix33,I'll check it out!

Great Info Iced,Thank U.My lower back isn't the best so hard suspension is out of the question.kings lows and kyb excel-g is looking good.Ar ethey a progressive spring?
How much of a gap do U think I would have would have with this set up with 15" rims and 205/50/15 tyres.I finger gap is fine,any more it may look a bit dicky...

iced
05-01-2008, 01:15 PM
probably 1.5 finger gap give or take.
but 205/50/15 will fill the guards alot more than 195/50/15s because they have slightly larger rolling diam closer
so if you use 205 gap will be a tad less.

regardless you should only go low springs. ive used and fit alot of superlow springs for others despite my advice to avoid superlow heights their car handle like shit. too low the shocks dont work properly.

kings for the ek/em the fronts are linear and rear is progressive.
oem dc2r is same just to give you the idea.

beeza
05-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Excellent! Kings lows it is then.I already have them now so I just need to get the shocks.Thanks so much Iced,that's some really good advice,speaking from experience.I will use 205/50/15 tyres.I was set on them,so that's great.

The Part numbers on my Kings lows are:
Front - KHFL67
Rear - KHRL68

beeza
09-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Are Koni Yellows and Kings Lows a good combo?

iced
10-01-2008, 12:19 AM
i dont see why not.

beeza
10-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks mate.

beeza
11-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I always here about cutting your springs.Can U do it to king lows? I can't imagine so but I jusy had to ask.

iced
11-01-2008, 12:58 PM
now dont be silly

beeza
11-01-2008, 01:20 PM
^^ Haha,sweet :)

philmak
24-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Anyone else selling there secod hand suspension?

beeza
28-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm checking out a set of 'Nex coilovers' that have done 10,000km's.Can anyone tell me what they are like? Stiff or harsh ride or.....?

dahon
05-02-2008, 01:57 PM
hey beeza u put on new suspension yet? how is it?

hey guys sorry to go off topic, got the same car as beeza, same kinda wheels 15", want it lowered a tiny bit (maybe 1-2inches) so it looks nicer, mostly the back.
would new springs do or would i have to get new dampers aswell?
any recommendations?
cheaper the better...

beeza
05-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Not yet mate,a couple of months yet.I'm putting 15" rims with 205/50/15 tyres on.The coilovers I'm getting are adjustable from 0 to 4 inches so I can give it the exact look I want.The coilovers I'm buying from a member on here for $750.
I would recommend doing that,picking up a set of coilovers on here 2nd hand.Installing them should only be $150 ish.At the moment I got the stock shocks + king lows on.And the stock shocks are 100,000km old,I should have got rid of them 1st...

dahon
05-02-2008, 02:42 PM
yeh my stock shocks and springs have done 100000km aswell so i might aswell get new coilovers then, so its brand new. any you can recommend?
i wouldnt mind adjustibles but i would prefer a cheaper set that lowers it around 2 inches.

beeza
05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend...heaps out there.

dahon
16-02-2008, 01:13 AM
It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend...heaps out there.

well im tight on the budget at the moment. ppl gave me gift cards for my bday not cash.. gotta swap it.. gah..
decided against coils, so a good spring + shock combo for cheap would be great (mite aswell replace my shocks, don't know how theyll take the new low springs). You guys were talking bout king lows and koni yellows being an alright combo? theyd cost around how much you reckon? how much lower would they go from stock hieght? 2inches?
or the cheaper option ek9 springs + shocks? dont need new LCAs or anything for them aye? theyd go lower by an inch or so yeah?